If merch is your thing, it really becomes five days of getting somewhere early and waiting around (unless you buy Race Retreat, and then it just becomes five really expensive days) - because Dopey merch goes REALLY quick.

Okay, since you mentioned it...

I'd like to hear thoughts from others on both Race Retreat and ChEAR squad. I haven't opted for Race Retreat before, but it sounds like there may be some worthwhile benefits - including the potential of early access to the Expo. I'm mostly curious if people used the benefits offered and what their thoughts are.

Same for ChEAR squad, if others have used it (either themselves or friends/family) what were the thoughts? I swear at some point ChEAR squad included transportation to get spectators to different locations on the course, but it doesn't appear that is the case now. Honestly not sure if I am dating myself with this recollection or just making it up...

Thanks for any thoughts!

Will I regret not doing Dopey if I sign up for Goofy?

My 2 cents:

Prior to this year, I'd done 3 Goofys.

This year I signed up for the Dopey, mostly because of the anniversary medal.

Due to events, I ended up doing the Goofy instead. So my Dopey experience is 'None and Done'.

Even though I signed up and paid for Dopey, I have no regrets doing the Goofy. (Except sometimes when @rteetz posts a picture of the medal)

Just like the half marathon is a much more civilized race than the marathon, the Goofy is a much more civilized challenge than the Dopey. You still do the bulk of the miles, but only 2 wakeup calls rather than 4, and lots more park/pool/family/whatever time.

It really depends on what's important to you: does a 39.3 sticker/shirt seem wimpy compared to one that says 48.6? Remember, when you're back in the 'real' world, no one knows the difference. Are 6 shirts/medals really twice as good as 3?

Full disclosure: I may be prejudice based on my screen name.

Last edited:

I'd like to hear thoughts from others on both Race Retreat and ChEAR squad. I haven't opted for Race Retreat before, but it sounds like there may be some worthwhile benefits - including the potential of early access to the Expo. I'm mostly curious if people used the benefits offered and what their thoughts are.

Same for ChEAR squad, if others have used it (either themselves or friends/family) what were the thoughts? I swear at some point ChEAR squad included transportation to get spectators to different locations on the course, but it doesn't appear that is the case now. Honestly not sure if I am dating myself with this recollection or just making it up...

Thanks for any thoughts!
I have had Race Retreat the last 3 years. The last 2 included early access to the expo which was nice so I could get in and out without a bunch of lines. As for the retreat itself, it is nice to have somewhere nice to sit when it is cold or extremely windy and cold, so you don’t have to be out in it that much longer waiting to get to the corrals. After the races, especially marathons, I want food in my stomach soon after I finish. If I don’t, I may not be able to eat for hours. I like having easy access to a nice cold coke and food. The actual cost of the items you receive may not be worth the cost of the retreat, but for ease and comfort, it is worth it to me.

I'm going on year 9 of Goofy. I've thought about Dopey, but honestly, I prefer getting up and getting an early tee time on Thursday and Friday (that early tee time means a three hour round of golf, so we're at the parks before 11), and then really making the races the focus of my weekend.

I can't imagine trying to carry the excitement of the races through four days. That sounds too exhausting, and knowing myself, I'd just be ready for it to be over on Sunday, which I would hate.

Dopey is fun with all the excitement, medals, shirts, feeling of being part of the Dopey crowd. However, I did just the marathon this year and honestly didn't really feel I was missing out just doing one race. It was actually amazingly enjoyable after doing all the races at the last weekends I did to just do one, one early wakeup, one outfit, one must skip out of the park early night, etc. My first marathon weekend was just the marathon as well & I didn't feel one ounce of missing out on the challenge part. This time I'm 95% sure we are doing Goofy (because I haven't done just Goofy so it will be different & a chance to buy Goofy merch. as when I did Dopey I only bought Dopey stuff & won't eat as much park time). I don't feel the inkling of the Dopey pull (granted I've done it & will again one day). Training for Dopey or Goofy won't be any different as the half/full combo is the beast of Dopey. That all being said I'm glad I have done Dopey. Whatever you decide you'll have a blast with. But don't underestimate the power of the Dopey energy drain, it's so real unless you have the force maybe not!
The Dopey energy drain gives me pause for sure. I felt fine this year after all 3 Dark Side races, but that didn't involve waking up and running the full the morning after Dark Side.

If you are feeling Goofy, by all means go with Goofy. To clarify my point on the FOMO, you really won't have a true idea until you get there. It's one thing to say at this point "Goofy is fine with me, I won't miss out on anything with Dopey", it's another to maintain that viewpoint and not feeling like you're missing out when you're actually there during the race weekend, and seemingly everything and every announcer focuses on Dopey. It's easy to feel like you're not getting the full experience. I'm not trying to push you to Dopey, by any means, I just want to make sure you're ready for the environment of that race weekend. For what it's worth, my current plans are to do Goofy or the marathon.
Great advice. Part of me simply says that it's just 9.3 more miles, but another part of me wants to properly enjoy the time at Disney World.

I think it all comes down to your own mindset about it. I first did the 10K + marathon, then signed up for Dopey the next year but had the DIY canceled half, so I did Dopey again the year after that to finally feel like it was "official." That first year, with "just" the 10K and full? I had absolutely zero feelings of missing out, regret, etc. - because I went in knowing what my goal was. For a first marathon, it was a perfect plan, IMO, without all the extra baggage that comes with Dopey, and I came out of it feeling really strong and confident in my ability to tackle Dopey in the future.
I love this. I've long advocated that a runner must run his or her race and not the race of anybody else. I just need to make my peace with whatever decision I wind up doing.

I'll echo what others have said: just follow your gut. Personally, I'll offer that I always have moments of second guessing, regardless of my decision, either before or after the fact. Dark Side weekend I had moments where I had regrets about not doing the challenge. But by the fourth, or even third, early morning of Dopey, I was seriously questioning why I felt the need to be awake that early yet again.

Ultimately, I say try not to obsess now, and decide when registration finally opens. Then get excited about your race(s) and have fun! There really isn't a wrong decision.
I could see that happening with me on the second guessing part. But for Star Wars, I took the plunge on the Inaugural Rebel Challenge and never looked back, but I'm a huge Star Wars fan so that made sense for me. This would be my first multi race challenge weekend that does not involve Star Wars.

Thanks for any thoughts!
I've never done race retreat. My mom did chEAR squad for the first Star Wars Half at Disneyland and liked it, but said she wouldn't do it again. In addition to the shirt, blanket, and other items, she got to watch me run inside California Adventure. In park viewing was not available to non chEAR squad spectators.

My 2 cents:

Prior to this year, I'd done 3 Goofys.

This year I signed up for the Dopey, mostly because of the anniversary medal.

Due to events, I ended up doing the Goofy instead. So my Dopey experience is 'None and Done'.

Even though I signed up and paid for Dopey, I have no regrets doing the Goofy. (Except sometimes when @rteetz posts a picture of the medal)

Just like the half marathon is a much more civilized race than the marathon, the Goofy is a much more civilized challenge than the Dopey. You still do the bulk of the miles, but only 2 wakeup calls rather than 4, and lots more park/pool/family/whatever time.

It really depends on what's important to you: does a 39.3 sticker/shirt seem wimpy compared to one that says 48.6? Remember, when you're back in the 'real' world, no one knows the difference. Are 6 shirts/medals really twice as good as 3?

Full disclosure: I may be prejudice based on my screen name.
Loved the comment about the half being more civilized than the full. Whenever I say "I'm not afraid of the full", I hear Yoda reply in my head, "you will be. You will be." In the end the marathon is accomplishment enough even if it's the only race I run. I think I want to run the half though if only because I sleep so much better before a half if I ran a 10K the day before. Plus, Goofy himself is such an epic athlete.

I just want to know how the registration is going to work now and when it's going to be. I'm doing Dopey and I'm dragging my family along on this (my mom will run the 5k with me, my dad the 10k, and I'm pacing my sisters through their first half before I run my first full with everyone there to cheer me crossing the finish line - and a friend is going to pace that with me even though he'd sworn never again on the marathon distance ...I'm a bad influence). That's a lot of moving parts to register.

And we've already booked the DVC rental (although I did pay for the "cancel for any reason" insurance). LET ME REGISTER SO I CAN STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT MIGHT GO WRONG. Sob.

I'm not coping well with the wait until June. (Also today is a rest day and so no run and I'm not coping well with that either. I never take rest days during the week. This transition to a Thursday rest day sucks.)

I can't imagine trying to carry the excitement of the races through four days. That sounds too exhausting, and knowing myself, I'd just be ready for it to be over on Sunday, which I would hate.
LOL, that was exactly my sentiment Sunday morning this year! A friend asked how I was feeling in the start area and I replied, "Over it and ready to be done." ;)

Speaking of the marathon medals...
I have the past twelve WDW Marathon medals and none of them do I consider to be well designed.
The 15th, 20th, and 25th are OK, but I have other marathon medals that look better.

This years Kentucky Derby Festival marathon medal has the Churchill Downs Twin Spires and the Pegasus on the design.
Very nice.
If I do next years marathon I hope they don't just phone it in like they did two or three years ago.
That one was extremely lame.

Speaking of the marathon medals...
I have the past twelve WDW Marathon medals and none of them do I consider to be well designed.
The 15th, 20th, and 25th are OK, but I have other marathon medals that look better.

This years Kentucky Derby Festival marathon medal has the Churchill Downs Twin Spires and the Pegasus on the design.
Very nice.
If I do next years marathon I hope they don't just phone it in like they did two or three years ago.
That one was extremely lame.

I'm mostly OK with the Disney medals - not the greatest designs by any means, but certainly not the worst I've seen. You want to talk about phoning it in, check out these:

Boston medals.jpg

They changed the year, the ribbon attachment, and the color on the bottom. Thanks?

Personally, I only carry excitement on two of the four days. I don't feel much excitement or love for the 5k or the half because I find the courses to be the dullest of the four over the weekend.

I'm mostly OK with the Disney medals - not the greatest designs by any means, but certainly not the worst I've seen. You want to talk about phoning it in, check out these:

View attachment 324646

They changed the year, the ribbon attachment, and the color on the bottom. Thanks?

Hey, at least they changed the ribbon attachment point too! They put in some effort!

...which you did say. I'm not awake. I didn't have my run today.

View attachment 324646

I have always wondered why the Boston medals aren't better. I mean I am sure I would absolutely love it if I did it but they seem kind of small and just ok.

I have loved doing Dopey. I have done it twice now (okay technically once thanks to the 2017 half) and I would for sure do it again. A few issues do come to mind though in time, and money. Dopey is freaking expensive. Goofy isn't cheap either though. I haven't done a lot of races but I sure do love the Disney bling. This extended break hasn't helped me decide one way or another. I also haven't felt I have missed out on the parks other than maybe staying out late to see the fireworks. I have had great runDisney trips so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter