Mando & Grogu Movie is official

But Solo wasn't a "hit", even earning $400M worldwide, it still lost ~$100M. Ep. 8 and 9, Rogue One each made $1B+ each. And I just don't see that box office is there anymore, not when people can get their Star Wars fix on Disney+.

I have no crystal ball, but this just seems to be Disney grasping because they lack ideas. Mando may be profitable, but that's because I expect Mando will have a significantly lower budget than any of those films, Disney isn't sinking $250M into anything anytime soon. The per season budget for Mando is $120M, so I expect that will be Disney's cap for a theatrical film.

Keeping the budget down will be key. I would actually love to see this movie cost $120M. There is no reason it needs to cost more.

Also credit where credit is due here, brilliant timing by Disney here with this info.

Been a crappy few days for Disney with all the backlash the director of the Rey movie had been creating. Now all of a sudden there is hope Star Wars can be saved. brilliant, and i want to hive them credit for impeccable timing for this news.
Tempest/teapot.

If anyone is still ranting about that person's comments, it's on discussion boards of fans who have nothing better to do. Way more people will see this announcement than ones who heard about that faux outrage.

When things trend on social media it tells you they have made it to the general public / normies.

Both of these events likely trended on social media. Just because you don’t like something that is said, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a significant trending topic that millions of people are reading about or watching content on.

Don’t believe me go to google trends and type in Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. She pegged the scale on around Jan 6th. With almost no interest in the prior 90 days.

Guess what else pegged the chart today? You guessed it Mando and Grogu.

Last edited:
Idk I think Disney+ has well and truly trained people to just wait until it’s on there. That’s what I’m doing with everything Disney have put out recently because unfortunately other people ruin the cinema experience and it’s getting too expensive for that.

This just might get me back into the cinema though and I’m sure other hardcore fans of SW/Mando will go see it but casual fans and people that are only just getting into the show through the 4K steelbooks or people who sail the high seas because they don’t want to give Disney any money will probably just wait until it’s accessible elsewhere.
Agree completely on the others ruining the experience thing. Went to see Wonka last weekend, great movie by the way. That kid is super talented.

Anyway 4 young ladies talked through the entire movie. We asked them nicely to be quiet. We then moved seats to get further away from them. Then I asked again less nicely after they had just had a conversation through about half the movie.

My question if you have no interest in watching the movie, why on earth pay to see it?

All had their phones out and at one point one was sitting on the floor facing away from the screen just chatting away????

People just don’t respect others anymore it seems. I am convinced that the pandemic ruined us all as a society.

I kind of want to see Wonka again without the constant chatter that took me out of the immersion experience.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this is going to be a major box office return to form. Will the public line up at the box office for what many may perceive as a 2-hour special episode. I don't see much headroom to scale up from TV to film.

Yeah, they needed to make it seem like MORE than just the show, but this name reinforces that it IS just the show.
it will be interesting, one of the lessons from the Marvels was that people are not always excited about having to do a lot of 'homework'... watching three or 4 seasons of the Mandalorian... Boba Fett... and Ahsoka?

I know a bit of the plan was to have a movie wrapping up all these stories, so it seems as if we get S4 of Mandalorian... Ahsoka Season 2... and then the Further Adventures of Din and Grogu movie.

And will this be the further adventures and not require backstory. I am cautious. I will go see it, but not sure this is a direction I am excited for. Also, will this be Pedro Pascal... or will they recast.... mmmm mixed feelings.

Idk I think Disney+ has well and truly trained people to just wait until it’s on there. That’s what I’m doing with everything Disney have put out recently because unfortunately other people ruin the cinema experience and it’s getting too expensive for that.

This just might get me back into the cinema though and I’m sure other hardcore fans of SW/Mando will go see it but casual fans and people that are only just getting into the show through the 4K steelbooks or people who sail the high seas because they don’t want to give Disney any money will probably just wait until it’s accessible elsewhere.
There is also the allure of seeing something from the small screen on the big screen, so to speak. I don't know if it's a billion dollars worth, but we'll see. Heck, I'm getting tickets to Luca in March because I've only ever seen it a half dozens times on the small screen and want to experience it I'm in full detail.

I'll wait to see the first trailer before I decide whether I want to see it on the big screen or wait until it's on Disney+. I could go either way right now.

Ok do they correct the single biggest mistake of the Disney ST and give us a very brief scene of Luke, Han, and Leia together?

What are the odds of this occurring in the Mando movie?

Just so darn happy that Lucasfilm appears to be getting something right for a change!

Last edited:

This is me in a lot of ways, we have not seen a movie in a theater since December of 2019 (I don't count seeing DS:MoM in the theater on the Wonder :) in 2022 while on our Alaskan cruise.

Between the streaming services we have, we either wait to see something on one of them, or we end up buying it on disc and watching it from home that way. Between the cost of going to see a movie in a theater and how people act now a days, I just don't have any desire to go.
When things trend on social media it tells you they have made it to the general public / normies.
Makes me so glad that I don't use any social media. The closest to social media for me, is this forum :) Otherwise I stay away from social media. I like to form my own opinion and not have some random person looking for clicks tell me that I should or should not like something.

Psy

Both of these events likely trended on social media. Just because you don’t like something that is said, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a significant trending topic that millions of people are reading about or watching content on.

Don’t believe me go to google trends and type in Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy. She pegged the scale on around Jan 6th. With almost no interest in the prior 90 days.

Guess what else pegged the chart today? You guessed it Mando and Grogu.
why do you always have to be so insulting. You could have just left it as General Public. So hard to have a real discussion with you using derogatory names... so who are the abnormies to you? Normies... I just cannot take a thing you say seriously when you do this.... which is a shame as it seems you have a lot you want to share and say, but I am not the only one who has commented on this... in case you have NOT figured out... calling people normal or abnormal is really not cute... it is actually very insensitive especially to folks who may be neurodivergent....

and before you respond with the "other folks called me a name" gaslighting.. this is YOU doing this without ANY provocation ....

Last edited:
I apologize it you feel that insulted you, as it was not my intention at all. I see the word “normies” used everywhere to describe normal run of the mill moviegoers who don’t read message boards or watch reviews of films or read the books. Sorry I did not mean to offend you, most people here are not Star Wars “normies” by the way. I am not a Star Wars normie, I know more and care more than a regular old normie does.

Once again I never intended to insult you, and I apologize for doing so.

But once again if I offended you, I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention in any way.
thank you. I appreciate that. My husband is a K-12 special education educator/counselor, so we deal with a lot of negativity regarding atypical folks and we (I) are sensitive to it.

I don't think the word "normie" is problematic as it is basically used by nerds to describe non-nerds. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek (maybe not PC, though I'd never really known that). That said...I do think @Suger Mag has a point. Polymer, you often use harsh language when discussing things that you don't like. It's one thing to critique a movie, it's another to just denegrate it. When you call The Last Jedi a "steaming pile of poo" - what does that say about those who liked it? It's not constructive, and I think it leads to a lot of the arguments. It's very abrasive, but you seem shocked when people take offense. You've got to tamp down that nerd-rage, man. 🙂

I could have easily used the word “mainstream” above and my meaning would be identical.

But once again I apologize.
thank you, again I truly appreciate that sentiment. I am in a mood today, so extra defensive.

Just want to talk about Star Wars with folks who enjoy the topic... without feeling put down.

Last edited:
So.... Where do folks think this is going to go....

Polymer wants some Luke-Leia Han action. Without some recasting i think that will be difficult. I admit, part of why I did not like Solo is because it was not Harrision as Han. Some people are firmly entrenched in my mind in a role and it is hard for me to accept a recast.

I wonder how much of Thrawn they will try to wrap up in season 2 of Ahsoka... or if that will spill over to the Mandaloiran season 4. I seem to remember there will be S4 of Mando first before the movie?

Also if I remember correctly.... in the Mandalorian, we are in the middle of reclaiming Mandalore... so I assume that will be the focus of S4 and not Thrawn?

I boubt we will see Leia or Han. We might see Luke since he has already been in the series. I think the Thrawn story will continue in Ahsoka and finish in Dave's movie.

I don't think the word "normie" is problematic as it is basically used by nerds to describe non-nerds. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek (maybe not PC, though I'd never really known that). That said...I do think @Suger Mag has a point. Polymer, you often use harsh language when discussing things that you don't like. It's one thing to critique a movie, it's another to just denegrate it. When you call The Last Jedi a "steaming pile of poo" - what does that say about those who liked it? It's not constructive, and I think it leads to a lot of the arguments. It's very abrasive, but you seem shocked when people take offense. You've got to tamp down that nerd-rage, man. 🙂
No problem I can do that.

However I have been called the following on this exact forum:
- “Misogynist”
- “Bigot”
- “Man Baby”
- “Incel”

All of which are both untrue and meant to insult me personally.

I have never once seen you come to my defense and ask those posters to not use “harsh language”. I find that double standard interesting to say the least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter