Making the most of ts credits

mrg013

Mouseketeer
Can anyone tell me some ts restaurants that really give you a great bang for your buck on the dining plan? I really just want to know some restaurants that are normally expensive, with great food that really makes it worth being on the dining plan.

I'm only interested in restaurants that use 1 credit, because I want to have one sit-down meal each night. It seems that the Epcot restaurants have upscale, pricey food, but only utilize one credit. The buffet and all-you-can-eat options don't seem to be as worth it, since you can't get all the food (appetizer, dessert). I'm not a real buffet person to begin with. What are your favorites in terms of food as well as giving you a great value?

mrg013 said:
Can anyone tell me some ts restaurants that really give you a great bang for your buck on the dining plan? I really just want to know some restaurants that are normally expensive, with great food that really makes it worth being on the dining plan.

I'm only interested in restaurants that use 1 credit, because I want to have one sit-down meal each night. It seems that the Epcot restaurants have upscale, pricey food, but only utilize one credit. The buffet and all-you-can-eat options don't seem to be as worth it, since you can't get all the food (appetizer, dessert). I'm not a real buffet person to begin with. What are your favorites in terms of food as well as giving you a great value?

I think you'd have a hard time eating at ANY table service restaurant for under $38/per adult IF you get an appetizer, entree, dessert and soft drink and include the tax and tip. I'd suggest looking at the menus on allearsnet.com and see what appeals to you.

FWIW, with the buffets, you DO get appetizers (soups, salads, breads, dips, etc) and a HUGE variety of delicious desserts. :)

Our choices for our September trip are: Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Biergarten (not a big bang, but the friends that we are going with LOVE this place and want us to try it), Teppanyaki and Kona Cafe. Most TS places will have a "value" of ~ $60/person after tax and tip. I did a quick calculation after reviewing menus/prices at Deb Wills website and figured that 6 nights of free dining will be "worth" ~ $900 for DH and myself for all the TS, CS and snacks. I see a repeat September trip in our future if they keep offering free dining :banana: ! I think it's a great deal, :banana: even at the regular price they charge. I plan on getting it for DS and myself for our March 2007 trip and for our group of 8 for our "grand gathering" of DH's family next June.

Honestly, we did that last year the first few days...wanted to eat at the more expensive restaurants. We were there for 8 days, and by the middle of the trip, we just wanted to eat what sounded good to us, and was close, and fit into our daily schedule.

By the time we left, our receipts totalled $925.00, the dining plan would have cost us 560.00 (we were there with free dining). We still had credits left that we didn't have the time or appetite to use, and ate when and where we wanted to.

If I were you, I would plan my days, find a restaurant that you LIKE the food at (menus at allearsnet.com ), and then call those places for ADR's. You will be much happier that way, and I guarantee you will still come out WAY ahead.

i agree with renee! :)

but to answer the op's question, we found the best bang for our buck on the dining plan was at boatwrights at POR... it was also the best meal of our trip (and we ate at some of the more coveted restaurants)...

Expensive restaurants that we liked--Chefs de France, LeCellier, Coral Reef

Expensive but not as great--Teppanyaki

Good food and fun but not as expensive-- 50s Prime Time, Planet Hollywood

Not as good --WCC

We ate where we wanted, didn't try to get the most costly places. We ate where/what we wanted.

You do get appetizers and desserts at the buffets...but the food at sit downs is much better. I'd rather have the better quality. We didn't do any buffets this trip, but have done most or all of them on previous trips. DD is a teen now--Planet Hollywood is more exciting than characters!

I printed out some info that showed the most expensive places. I'll see if I can find it or at least remember where I got the info!

ok, I got the infoon Mousesavers.com. The have a section called dining plan tips. Some of the restaurants they suggested are Wolfgang Puck Cafe, Spoodles, Le Cellier, Teppanyaki, Les Chefs de France and Coral Reef. There are about 20 total.

Hi!

I agree. This year we will be returning to the Y Steakhouse and trying the California Grill. I know that they both take 2 TS tickets but its good food and a fun time.

Go for what you like not how expensive it is and you will have a great time.

Coral Reef tip; ask about chef specials, there's often things that are quite fancy and expensive and not on the menu! :thumbsup2

ReneeA said:
If I were you, I would plan my days, find a restaurant that you LIKE the food at (menus at allearsnet.com ), and then call those places for ADR's. You will be much happier that way, and I guarantee you will still come out WAY ahead.

ITA. The value does not count if you are not enjoying the meal. We enjoyed Concourse steak house, and it is one credit.

JMO, think too many people are fixated on selecting restaurants based on their prices, in a mis-guided attempt to "get their money's worth".

Price doesn't always = quality @ WDW restaurants.

It is a nice opportunity to try out a new venue but, I wouldn't let it dictate your choices.

Few sites would garner mention in Zagats dining guide, most are all on the same par but, different cuisines.

We prefer TS restaurants in general and based on last year's dining, some of our favorite meals were at resort restaurants (Kona Cafe especially!). If you look over the menus, you'll see that most TS restaurants offer steak and other dishes as main courses, with some variation based on the theme of the restaurant. We plan based on the menus mainly, and keep some old favorites(LeCellier, Kona). We do go to Cape May Cafe once each trip though because we like the buffet and the kids love coloring the paper tablecloths.

These are a few places that we found to be pretty good to great: :thumbsup2

Le Cellier
Big River Grille
Spoodles
Kona Cafe
Rose & Crown Dining Room
Teppanyaki
ESPN :)

Coral Reef is now 1 credit also, but we don't do seafood

Basically, you will have MUCH bigger bills at DiINNERS that are a la' carte compared to buffet style, but GREAT buffet/Family style meals include:

Boma
O'Hana
Crystal Palace
Garden Grill
Cape May Cafe

Enjoy your trip!! :)

This is our first trip using the dining plan (usually pay out of pocket with DDE card) and ahve decided to keep our old favorites as well as add a few that we would not normally eat at due to the cost. Here is our list (and buffets are included as you do get a lot for the price, and when you're with kids it's all about the characters)

Liberty Tree Tavern
1900 Park Faire
Ohana's
Le Cellier (trying for 1st time)
Coral Reef (trying for 1st time)
Chef Mickey's
WCC (paying off of points)
Trails End (paying off of points, still a good deal)
50s Prime Time
Beirgarten

My ADRs are so not maximizing this plan, but I do not care because I chose the places I actually wanted to eat. So consider my list a tutorial on how NOT to maximize TS value:

PSB/Norway dinner. I hate princesses, but I am going w 3 girls, ages 14, 13, and 7 and I love the food;

Kona Cafe lunch. I know, who uses TS credits for lunch, but I checked the menu and I think it will be worth it for us;

Boma dinner;

Boma breakfast. I know..that's completely crazy, TS for breakfast and no characters? I love the food though and my DH is humoring me.

Flying Fish dinner. 2TS credits and my DD7 will also use her credits. Not because I think paying OOP and using her credits for us is immoral-check my comments on some closed threads :rotfl2: , but because she wants to order the staek and dessert off the children's menu and I think that's worth the credits.

San Angel Inn. This is not my idea, but the family we are going with always goes there. It's a tradition (I'm going to try to talk them out of it)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter