Make me feel better

nuts4wdw

Have a disney day!!!
Hi, I have a great family which includes, DH, DS (3), and DS (2). This fall I want to escape for a few days down to disney by myself, but I feel guilty for even thinking about this. We have a trip planned for May 2005, but I want to try it alone. My husband is afraid for me to go alone, but I'm not. Has anyone else done a solo trip from their family just to do it?

Yep! My hubby (retired Air Force fighter pilot) still resides in Mountain Home ID because he loves Idaho's hunting, fishing & skiing. We are still married, but I moved down here (an hour from WDW) to keep my mom company after my dad died, and to get good use out of my WDW AP (have had one for years) with two or three WDW visits per week. My mom has a seasonal pass, and she goes with me a couple of times per month or more herself.

Why is your husband afraid for you to go alone? I've even done 9 DCL cruises (with a 10th coming up Oct. 30), with half of those done solo. Most of the time it was great!

BTW - I'll be in Idaho from July 18 to August 5 to "pet sit" while my hubby goes flyfishing in Canada. With the exception of a few days away for photo shoots (I'm a wildlife photographer), I'll be about an hour and a half away from you. <I>It's a small world . . .</I>

My husband is actually from Mountain Home. Both his dad and step-dad were master sgts. in the airforce, both of which are retired now. But we still drive through mountain home now and then. He's afraid because I've never done anything solo since we were married 6 years ago.

I also have a protective DH but went on my first solo cruise and of all things in Nov after 9/11. I will be taking my next solo trip this Dec. so Mousefest here i come plus some additional add on days. I've added on so many days that my DH says it's no longer just a trip he's say it's become the Grand Princess Tour. I say go for it but talk to him and find out his concerns and see if you can address them for me it means staying at a deluxe hotel(no outside door) and because i'm arriving late spending more to stay at the Hyatt in the airport the first night. I would also do a google search on woman traveling alone for great advice. If he see that you are well informed it may put him at ease plus extra phone calls at the end of the day help. I you'd like more info feel free to email me and good luck on hopefully planning your first solo trip.

If you happen to have a cell phone with no roaming charges or long distance charges, you'll have a quick and easy way to stay in touch and always feel "safe." It works for me! I have driven solo across the U.S. and flown solo internationally (although the latter would cost me to call, my phone works), and have never really felt "alone."

I was born and raised in San Diego and have travelled all my life, much of it solo, and kept my "independent ways" after marrying. I <I>know</I> it is different for you since you said you have not gone solo since marrying. But you'll be fine! ;)

If you are too uncomfortable with being solo at WDW, I'd be happy to meet you for lunch or dinner or just "doing the parks" if you like. There are other locals here who would also be willing to meet, I'm sure. You can e-mail me at info@magicaldisney.com. The only dates I'll be away in the fall are Oct. 30-Nov. 6 for another DCL cruise.

I've been solo to WDW 3 times and really love the chance to get away for a few days, clear my head, and relax! My DH also has been solo a few times. (The whole family has gone multiple times, too).
WDW is probably one of the safest places for a woman to travel alone. Stay at a resort that's not too sprawling, and request a room near the central area, and you should be fine.
I was never able to go when my kids were little - if you have someone to take care of them, go for it and have a great time!

Hi! I haven't been to WDW alone, but I've been to Disneyland alone about 1/2 dozen times and I'm not a local. I live in Washington state and have flown down and stayed by myself several occassions. For me, it was kind of scary the first time, but no big deal now. You meet people in lines and at shows, so its not lonely feeling. Also, its nice to be able to do what YOU want when you want. :D My mom was also one who enjoyed travelling by herself to different destinations and always had a great time. Go for it! Have a great trip! :earsgirl:

~Amber

Search through the DIS Discussion Forums and print out all the responses from the solo travellers and let your husband read them.

Personally, I only go to WDW alone and always (big ALWAYS) feel safe and protected. There's not a friendlier place in the world!

Good luck and keep that solo trip! You'll never regret it!! Ely

My DH and I just postponed our Disney cruise due to his work schedule, but I have nonrefundable plane tickets to Orlando, and I'm debating going solo and staying on the Disney resort. My quesiton is about the Disney transportation at night. I do not drive, but would like to check out the Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island at least one night. If I wait to catch a Disney bus back to my hotel, is it in a safe area (well light, surrounded by people, etc)? Or are there other, better options?

There is NO Place Safer than Disney to do Solo!!! I have done 2 solo trips.. and and leaving for my 3rd actually on Friday!! I can't wait!! :) There are people everywhere ALL the time... Disney transportation is always safe and available.... all areas are well lit... if you are concerned about walking from the bus to your hotel... you should stay at places that aren't so spread out.... like AKL or Contemporary.... or Swan/Dolphin.... Wilderness Lodge.... Boardwalk/Contemporary..... these hotels all have interior access... not too spread out .... although ALL the hotels are always hopping.. guests everywhere.... POR/POP/AllStars/CBR
/Coronado/OKW/Poly/Floridian ... they are much more spread out....maybe a bit more threatening to those who are not NY'ers... lol!! But honestly.... I have never felt frightened.... or cautious.. and I AM a Ny'er... something about Disney... it just feels safe... Go.. Have fun... you won't regret it! If you need any solo tips.. feel free to ask!!

Kathy

Originally posted by ImNarek
My DH and I just postponed our Disney cruise due to his work schedule, but I have nonrefundable plane tickets to Orlando, and I'm debating going solo and staying on the Disney resort. My quesiton is about the Disney transportation at night. I do not drive, but would like to check out the Adventurer's Club at Pleasure Island at least one night. If I wait to catch a Disney bus back to my hotel, is it in a safe area (well light, surrounded by people, etc)? Or are there other, better options?

I do solo trips, and I have no qualms taking the Disney bus after a night at the Adventurers Club. I close out the place after the final show (called the Hoopla!) around 1am, and I never felt unsafe walking to the bus stop.

I live in California and got divorced two years ago. The only way I can go to WDW is solo. I am planning my fourth trip for this September. I have stayed at CBR, CSR and POFQ for these trips and there have been no problems. I felt secure at WDW and use the bus system without any problems.

Hope this helps, Cindy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter