Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you still haven't heard back yet. Can your parents call them and see how things are coming along?

They already did before Christmas and the lady didn't say much at all. She just said it takes time..didn't say anything of what step of the process they were in. :confused:

Finally all caught up on the new volume. Thanks Maroo for everything you do her on the boards. Was wondering how your video was coming along with the GKTW pictures? Hope everyone has a great week. :goodvibes

Hi everyone

I am wondering if anyone has any great dinner ideas (it does not have to Disney necessarily)? Husband and I are celebrating our anniversary while we are on Katie's wish trip and were looking for someplace that all of us may enjoy that doesn't involve characters>:hug:

We are looking into a wish trip for my son, 4. He LOVES Disney so we are looking at a Disneyland or a Disney cruise. It has been good to read the comments and Trip Reports to get some idea of what we might experience. We have been in contact with our local group and will make official contact in March.

I have been reading several trip reports and trips that are coming up quickly...I keep reading about a send off party for the kiddos. Do they do this with every wish child or is this something that the child wishes for? I haven't heard anyone in our chapter talk about it. I was just curious. Also, when they arrange flights for your trip, do they put you in regular coach seats or do they give you the upper seats? Do they try to give you nonstop flights or do you have layovers? I am just thinking of things as they come along...I'm such a planner and I like to hear of what we should expect so I can mentally plan for my family. :laughing:

Our chapter didn't have a sendoff party but when my DDs granters came to give us our expense check and info, they brought my DD so many gifts that it was like Christmas morning. They were so kind. :wizard:

We flew Southwest so we were just in regular seats. Coming from the East Coast we had a direct flight from Hartford but I guess that it would depend on what airport you are flying out of and if they have direct flights to MCO (Orlando).

Tim

does anyone know of hotels that are close by GKTW? Seems as though my son Kade will have an entourage of people going with us.....2 sets of grandparents and a friend that is a pro photog that wants to shoot our trip.

On Wednesday, I will be back at the Village, so when I head over there I will take a look at which ones are around and let you know.

Hi everyone

I am wondering if anyone has any great dinner ideas (it does not have to Disney necessarily)? Husband and I are celebrating our anniversary while we are on Katie's wish trip and were looking for someplace that all of us may enjoy that doesn't involve characters>:hug:

Hello! That sounds like a lovely idea! Can you help me out (I am not here that often) by reminding me of the ages of the children...and give me an idea of your budget - anything to give me a benchmark? We have been to WDW 3 times, including our son's Wish Trip. We used the Dining Plan to experience some of the "signature" restaurants and some other nice ones and have some favourites: California Grill & Narcoossee's, both because of great food and unique viewing of the "Wishes" fireworks if you can time it right.

Did you know you can see the menu's for the restaurants here?: http://www.allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Why don't you take a look at what park you'll be visiting the day you want to celebrate, decide what's the best option (eat in the park (if Epcot/DHS) or near the park at one of the WDW hotels. For example, California Grill is at the Contemporary so it is just a monorail away; Narcoossee's is at the Grand Floridian and you can monorail or take a boat.

Please let me know how I can help!
Alison

I hope I am posting this in the right place! I had the pleasure of being one of the members of the very first wish trip threads back in 2007- (Eeyore's mom) and our family took a MAW trip in Jan. of 2008. I have not been back on Disboards in a very long time (years). Recently my best friend found out her 8 year old daughter has a non-operative brain tumor and the prognosis is grim. They have been granted a MAW trip and will be traveling to WDW in a just a few weeks (almost 3 years to the date that we were there). I love that I have the experience to draw on and share with her some of the highlights and don't miss things but in all honesty I know things have probably changed a lot in 3 years. I was also traveling with 3 boys and she just has the 1 daughter and her desires are different. One of her request is to dine with the princesses princess:- I know this can be done at the magic kingdom and I think at Epcot but I would love some advice on what you all would recommend. This was such an awesome source of advice and friendship for our trip and I am so thankful that this DIS community still exsists.

So after being seizure free for over 4 months Lily had a seizure that landed her in the hospital last night. I am so bummed! It was a very small seizure and not a Status seizures (yay!) but I was really hopping that the meds were finally controlling these. Guess not. :sad2: They upped her meds so hopefully this will keep them at bay. She is home now and back to her happy usually self which is more than I can say for Mommy, Daddy, or brother. We are all kinda bummed here but I just keep telling myself it could have been a much worse seizure because with her pattern they usually are big, bad and long. This one was more like a little blip on her brain waves.

Hello! That sounds like a lovely idea! Can you help me out (I am not here that often) by reminding me of the ages of the children...and give me an idea of your budget - anything to give me a benchmark? We have been to WDW 3 times, including our son's Wish Trip. We used the Dining Plan to experience some of the "signature" restaurants and some other nice ones and have some favourites: California Grill & Narcoossee's, both because of great food and unique viewing of the "Wishes" fireworks if you can time it right.

Did you know you can see the menu's for the restaurants here?: http://www.allears.net/menu/menus.htm

Why don't you take a look at what park you'll be visiting the day you want to celebrate, decide what's the best option (eat in the park (if Epcot/DHS) or near the park at one of the WDW hotels. For example, California Grill is at the Contemporary so it is just a monorail away; Narcoossee's is at the Grand Floridian and you can monorail or take a boat.

Please let me know how I can help!

Alison

Thank you the girls are 6 and 8 yrs budget is not really that much of an issue. We are open to any ideas, thank you in advance

There are some interesting ethnic restaurants in Epcot that would be awesome for an anniversary... I've read a lot of people who like LaCellier.... now outside of Disney I couldn't say.... but I recommend looking at the Epcot Restaurants....:love:

we are trying to figure out budget for our trip. does anyone know how much money MAW sends for expenses etc? We are more than willing to pay our own way but would like to budget as tight as possible.

we are trying to figure out budget for our trip. does anyone know how much money MAW sends for expenses etc? We are more than willing to pay our own way but would like to budget as tight as possible.

To tell the truth.. from what i've read ... every MAW chapter is different... and depending on the number of people....one family of three said they got $825 some have said 1500... so I think it can be anywhere.... I think the best bet is to call your wish granter and ask.....I would budget for a lower amount and if you get more then great! That's what I am planning to do... budget for the least amount I'll need and then if it's more then go from there...:upsidedow

Are extra magic hours directly related to a higher amount of people expected for the day? We will be there during the week prior to Easter...and want to avoid the busiest days...so I am asking if we should avoid the parks with EMH as being a busier day?:scared1:

Are extra magic hours directly related to a higher amount of people expected for the day? We will be there during the week prior to Easter...and want to avoid the busiest days...so I am asking if we should avoid the parks with EMH as being a busier day?:scared1:

Definitely. The emh are almost always the busiest park of the day. Crowds will be much lower in other parks.

I hope I am posting this in the right place! I had the pleasure of being one of the members of the very first wish trip threads back in 2007- (Eeyore's mom) and our family took a MAW trip in Jan. of 2008. I have not been back on Disboards in a very long time (years). Recently my best friend found out her 8 year old daughter has a non-operative brain tumor and the prognosis is grim. They have been granted a MAW trip and will be traveling to WDW in a just a few weeks (almost 3 years to the date that we were there). I love that I have the experience to draw on and share with her some of the highlights and don't miss things but in all honesty I know things have probably changed a lot in 3 years. I was also traveling with 3 boys and she just has the 1 daughter and her desires are different. One of her request is to dine with the princesses princess:- I know this can be done at the magic kingdom and I think at Epcot but I would love some advice on what you all would recommend. This was such an awesome source of advice and friendship for our trip and I am so thankful that this DIS community still exsists.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's daughter. A huge part of Sydney's wish was to dine with the princesses as well. We did Cinderella's Royal Table at the MK, Akershus at Epcot and Cinderella's dinner at the Grand Floridian. While Akershus was nice and the princesses were wonderful, it was hot that day and the line was terribly long and they were very behind schedule. Our princess day at Mk was the best. We had an 8am BBB apptmt (booked by me and paid for by our wish organization). We then had a breakfast booked at CRT for 1030am. The break from 9am to 1015am checkin was filled with riding the carousel and visiting the princesses and fairies in Toon town. She loved her breakfast and we spent the day at MK as a princess. She had so many wow moments that day ... meeting Tiana and walking hand in hand with Ariel amongst them. She was given priority location for the afternoon parade and because so many of those in the parade met her that day, they remembered her and blew kisses directly at her during the parade. I cried. If your friend's daughter loves princesses, MK is the place to be and BBB early in the day makes for so many memories on top of eating with the princesses. She can ask her wish organization but honeslty, if this is what she really wants, I'd go ahead and book it. Its close to their trip and calling with her story could open a space. If not, calling each day may luck into an ADR for one or both activities. HTH

QUOTE=casper_jj11;39481132]Definitely. The emh are almost always the busiest park of the day. Crowds will be much lower in other parks.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...that helps a lot.. I think I planned all of our Disney days avoiding those parks those days!

party:

Thank you the girls are 6 and 8 yrs budget is not really that much of an issue. We are open to any ideas, thank you in advance

Hello! I actually searched "most romantic restaurants in WDW" for a lark, and found this:

The Disney Sweetheart Dinner for Two

Disney even has a special Sweetheart Dinner for Two package. Included is a 3 course fixed price meal at a Signature Dining Restaurant. The meal includes an appetizer, entrée and a shared celebratory dessert. You’ll also appreciate a specially selected beverage in 2 commemorative etched champagne flutes which are yours to keep as a commemoration of your special dinner.

The Sweetheart Dinner for 2 is available at Citricos, Narcoossee’s, California Grill, Jiko, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Flying Fish, Artist Point, and Hollywood Brown Derby.

The price is $150 for all participating Signature Dining locations except California Grill; $170 at California Grill. Tax and Gratuity are extra.

Here's a link to info on the WDW website: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/sweetheart-dinner-for-two/

We've eaten at Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, Citrico's and Artist Point. All were delicious. The reason I recommend the first two are that there are lots of kids at both (Artist Point OK too, fewer at Citrico's). Cali Grill & Narcoossee's are not terribly quiet - a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for. We were concerned about our boys being a bit loud when we first went (they are twins and they were 8 at the time). Both have kids menu's beyond the usual mac & cheese (like steak, salmon, grilled chicken, as well as the mac & cheese which seems to be everywhere!). Cali Grill features sushi among lots of other things and has the cutest dessert for the kids: dessert sushi made with rice krispie squares shaped like sushi -uses fruit gummies for the "fish", fruit roll-ups for "seaweed" and chocolate sauce for the "soy" sauce. The boys have put Cali Grill on the top of their list for each of our 2 other trips and are bummed we won't get there when we are at WDW for 2 nights pre-cruise in March.

The other appeal for these restaurants is fireworks viewing if you can manage. If need be, call and explain about the Wish Trip (they "pixie-dusted" our table and made sure we had a window seat at Cali Grill). Cali Grill is on the 15th (16th?) floor at the COntemporary, and has an observation deck with a unique view of the MK. It's a fabulous view of the Wishes fireworks, music piped in...has been a special moment of our trips. Narcoossee's is at the ferry dock at the Grand Floridian - a lovely boat ride away from MK. For Wishes, restaurant patrons are invited to step outside to a private deck to watch Wishes, music piped in etc.

In both cases, they lower the lights and pipe the music inside as well, I think...but we always want to be outside!

I am sure there are romantic options at Epcot, but our better meals there have been at Coral Reef (not romantic to me, but maybe being with 3 guys affects this!), Rose & Crown (I won't do a pub for an anniversary, but it's good) and TeppenEdo (yummy, but you'll be seated at a teppan/Cooking table with a total of up to 8. When we were there we helped a mother celebrate her birthday which was fun, but not necessarily romantic.

We love Cali Grill and Narcoossee's for "nicer but not stuffy and it is kid-friendly" atmospheres, the wider range of kids options yet still very kid appropriate menus - while we get delicious options on the main menus...and fantastic firworks options!

I'd take a look at the menu's and see what you think - and who knows...maybe this Sweetheart deal is for you...or do your own thing but make sure they know this is your own celebration within the Wish celebration. We did something special for one meal during Mark's Wish Trip - celebrating Douglas being such a great brother. There were some unique things that Coral Reef used to be able to do with menu and the divers, together with great seating and extra special attention to the "non-Wish" child. It helped Doulgas understand that while this was Mark's Wish Trip, he is very special too...helped a lot given that they are twins.

Happy deciding!
Alison

So after being seizure free for over 4 months Lily had a seizure that landed her in the hospital last night. I am so bummed! It was a very small seizure and not a Status seizures (yay!) but I was really hopping that the meds were finally controlling these. Guess not. :sad2: They upped her meds so hopefully this will keep them at bay. She is home now and back to her happy usually self which is more than I can say for Mommy, Daddy, or brother. We are all kinda bummed here but I just keep telling myself it could have been a much worse seizure because with her pattern they usually are big, bad and long. This one was more like a little blip on her brain waves.

I am so sorry to read this and saying a prayer that it will not advance to more severe seizures (I know you have had enough of those)...of course, ANY seizure is scary :scared1:, how well I know that! Hugs to you all.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter