• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom, after dark

Tiggerette

You are *so much* my type of nerd!!
Hey DISers....

For those nights where the Magic Kingdom is open till about midnight, are there certain rides, activities, events that you especially enjoy?

Maybe a certain section of the park gets a special kind of "magic?" ie... Tom Sawyer island is a little more spooky, the riverboat is a little more romantic... maybe these attractions aren't open cause the alligators take over...

What you do look forward to when you're enjoying a late night in the Magic Kingdom?

Hey DISers....

For those nights where the Magic Kingdom is open till about midnight, are there certain rides, activities, events that you especially enjoy?

Maybe a certain section of the park gets a special kind of "magic?" ie... Tom Sawyer island is a little more spooky, the riverboat is a little more romantic... maybe these attractions aren't open cause the alligators take over...

What you do look forward to when you're enjoying a late night in the Magic Kingdom?

Tom Sawyer Island and Liberty Square Riverboat close at dusk.

Attractions that are Better/Different at night:
Jungle Cruise
Splash Mtn.
Big Thunder Mtn.
Dumbo
7DMT
Astro Orbiter
Aladdin Flying Carpets
TTA PeopleMover
(If the Swiss Family Treehouse is open after dark, it's different, but watch out for the palmetto bugs.)

Haunted Mansion "looks better" inside because your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

And... basically everything outdoors looks "more magical" at night, especially Main Street USA.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed 7DMT after dark. We did it as our last ride of our vaca and I am soo glad we did. We had Memory Maker so we ended up with a video from our daylight ride as well as our nighttime ride that we love to watch.

Hey DISers....

All of the outside attractions have specail effects with the lightling and.mood of the whole park.

The coasters as well. However.you hit on the liberty Bell sternwheeler...it does.indeed provide a more romantic feel at night which my wife and I enjoy. 38 years since our honeymoon at wdw.

AKK

Last edited:
We absolutely love MK at night. Last trip in November, we did HDDR for dinner and then took the boat back and MK was open until 11pm... The park was empty and it was a Friday night. It was so amazing. I enjoy MK during two times of the day- rope drop early morning and evenings... we like to take breaks and enjoy the resort during the afternoons when crowds are at their highest in the parks. The Jungle Cruise, HM, BTMR, Magic Carpets, Peoplemover, Mine Train and Splash are so much more fun at night. It is like a whole different experience.

MK after dark is my happy place! The whole park just takes on a different feel.

Top three nighttime favorite attractions would be PeopleMover, Astro Orbiter, and Splash. Tom Saywer's island at night would be amazing, but as it was pointed out, it closes at dusk.

Favorite land at night is Tomorrowland. The lights and the music loops! Adventureland comes in a VERY close second place.

I love the way everything is lit up at night, especially Main Street USA.

Main Street IS really pretty, but to me, I always find the area around Small World, and Peter pan, much more dark than it needs to be. I wish there was a little light in that area, IMHO

We love riding Splash Mountain during Wishes. We always have the best seat in the house and have NEVER had to get off (no line) and ride 2-3 times straight.

I agree -- MK after dark is....magical. I love being there and seeing all the different areas all lit up. To me, it honestly feels like a different park at night. We always plan to be at MK at least 2 nights during our trip.

I've always wanted to do the Jungle Cruise after dark.

I always wanted to do that too and actually managed to get a FP to do that this past June. While I'm glad I tried it at night, to me it felt a little creepy. Not sure why. I wasn't expecting that. In the future, I will only be doing that ride in daylight. :)

We love the Magic Kingdom at night! My favorite area is Frontierland. Jungle Cruise has a different feel in the dark. In January, my son and I got a ride on the Jungle Cruise with no one else on board! Also, check out the Swiss Family Treehouse. We were able to catch the beginnings of the fireworks and see Tinkerbell "fly" down from the castle from up there. Also on Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride, we happened to be on when the fireworks were going off. Our train stopped at the top of one of the hills and we got a great view of the fireworks.

Yeah...the Magic Kingdom is extra magical at night. :)

Magic kingdom at night is our families absolute favorite!
Make sure to take in a parade in Frontier land especially if they have a second one.
Haunted Mansion- the cms seem to really play it up at night. Our fave time to ride.
Btmrr - great views of the contemporary etc
Dumbo - love the mk view
Jungle Cruise- Night Emh last Feb our daughter got to be skipper and drive the boat. We were the only ones on, super cool.
SDMT - I think the details are easier to see. Great choice

Have fun! I know I would :)

We love the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder at night. You see effects that are hidden in daylight. They really add to the atmosphere of those attractions.

MK at night is the best. I especially love the Jungle Cruise, BTMRR, Splash, HM, and Dumbo.

I LOVE the People Mover at night. The lighting in Tomorrowland, and the fact that you can 'see' inside Space Mountain just a little bit better. We timed it perfectly last week to ride it just as Wishes started. :)

BTMRR is on my list to ride at night, but haven't managed it yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter