Magic Key Program

FWIW, at present, we feel this is our last hurrah with D'land APs. We enjoyed the Flex (pre-Covid) ... but I just don't feel I can possibly get value from the Dream key. Yes, we are using it and, yes, we are having success with reservations ... but it is simply too much "everything": too much Disney, too much $$$, too much stress, etc.

My perfect "post-Covid-AP" would be a 6 day hopper with a 13 months (or more) to use those days, no blackouts, for no more than $70/visit. That is my ideal pass. :)

i couldnt have said this better myself.

As a non local, former AP, the proposed changes of shorter booking window, fewer reservation slots and same day cancellations just make the problem worse for me - I can’t plan a trip if I can’t know for sure that I will get in. can’t count on getting a same day cancellation, can’t plan a 3 day visit if only have 2 booking slots. The current model works ok as you can get stuff if you plan 3 months out, but planning 3 months out also sucks.

I guess this was the point, Disney had made APs not viable for a lot of people and even for locals had made them much more difficult to use as they want. Chapek is taking advantage of goodwill for short term profit which is going to burn him in the long run.

I hate to start a new thread for a little question. Hopefully there's enough regulars here for some input, please:

After a couple months of Magic Key sales: Has the "Monday Curse" of big crowds returned to the Parks?

Extra credit:
Given above, which day would you choose for a Knott's Day on a 5-day trip? Sunday or Monday (pre-Thanksgiving)? :thumbsup2

200.gif

Well that system isn’t long for this world.
Hah! Well it's even more complicated than that. I booked these dates a long time ago and then they "magically" disappeared (they canceled them - not me - we only noticed because they weren't showing up in our reservations). Guest services was no help. In the meantime, I had booked Disneyland Hotel because it was a good deal. So I lucky for me, I re-booked my dates with the hotel bucket. Now someone else may be coming and my room is too small and am not interested in upgrading to a two-bedroom. I don't to lose my reservation - *especially* after I originally lost them over some kind of system glitch.

Lots of other weird glitches, too, like it thinking some people in my party have maxed out on reservations when they haven't and others haven't maxed out when they have. So far, 100% will not get one of these again next year.

I have no idea what Disneyland is trying to accomplish with the reservation system right now. To my knowledge, no other theme park anywhere in the world with annual passes is having this issue right now.

I think it's just that chapek hates the local passholders and wants to get rid of us. But when the next recession hits, suddenly, he'll love us again. :confused3

I have December 23 reserved, but want to do 2 days. I keep checking and checking for the 22 or 24, but never see them (or any other December dates). It's very unsatisfactory to know that I paid for no block out dates, but I can't book 8 weeks out. I know I can book a disney hotel stay and get my other day, but I was planning on a much less expensive stay this time around.

Did they get rid of the Imagine Key? I see Dream Key says it's sold out, but Imagine Key doesn't show up at all. Ironically, those are the keys that my husband and I have. I had no idea how "lucky" we were to buy them at the time. I still think I'll come out ahead with my savings on parking and merchandise over the year, but I'm already thinking of a new vacation destination for when my Key expires.

Did they get rid of the Imagine Key? I see Dream Key says it's sold out, but Imagine Key doesn't show up at all. Ironically, those are the keys that my husband and I have. I had no idea how "lucky" we were to buy them at the time. I still think I'll come out ahead with my savings on parking and merchandise over the year, but I'm already thinking of a new vacation destination for when my Key expires.

You have to be logged in to an account that is eligible for the Imagine Key to be able to see it.

I have to say I'm disappointed in the MK reservation system. I had to book a few days this month, including my birthday. I did this a while ago and lucky I also booked two days in the first week of December when I will have a friend visiting and going to the parks together. But December has NOTHING available. I won't be able to see the fireworks since I didn't have a weekend booked. Then no add one for genie to the pass other than daily add on, and the extra rides that aren't even a part of it to pay separately. Just ridiculous. I know Disney is a business but their business model shouldn't profit at the expense of happy guests. Unfortunately. I've even seen people buying single or multi day tickets because their pass is booked. That shouldn't be needed.

I've even seen people buying single or multi day tickets because their pass is booked. That shouldn't be needed.
Gosh, I bet Disney LOVES this. People need to learn that money talks. Complaining but then giving them even MORE money is not going to change the situation. (OP, that is not directed to you at all, just a general comment!)

I think it's just that chapek hates the local passholders and wants to get rid of us. But when the next recession hits, suddenly, he'll love us again. :confused3

I don't think that's it. The locals are largely okay with this system. It's the people who have to travel in that are having trouble.

I think the bottom line is, they didn't want 1 million+ passholders again. This system is how they weed people out of wanting one.

I have to say I'm disappointed in the MK reservation system. I had to book a few days this month, including my birthday. I did this a while ago and lucky I also booked two days in the first week of December when I will have a friend visiting and going to the parks together. But December has NOTHING available. I won't be able to see the fireworks since I didn't have a weekend booked. Then no add one for genie to the pass other than daily add on, and the extra rides that aren't even a part of it to pay separately. Just ridiculous. I know Disney is a business but their business model shouldn't profit at the expense of happy guests. Unfortunately. I've even seen people buying single or multi day tickets because their pass is booked. That shouldn't be needed.

December IS going to open up. Just wait. And they will allegedly be doing nightly holiday fireworks between Nov 12 and Jan 9. Don't lose hope quite yet.

I don't think that's it. The locals are largely okay with this system. It's the people who have to travel in that are having trouble.

I think the bottom line is, they didn't want 1 million+ passholders again. This system is how they weed people out of wanting one.

That could be. I do think they messed up with the pricing, if they didn't want that many passholders again.

We're close enough to the parks that we can be flexible when we go and pretty much always go during the week, but even I'm frustrated with all the work now involved.

That could be. I do think they messed up with the pricing, if they didn't want that many passholders again.

We're close enough to the parks that we can be flexible when we go and pretty much always go during the week, but even I'm frustrated with all the work now involved.

That's why they cut off the Dream Key. They know they messed up the pricing there.

I've stopped stressing about it. It's almost always the case that reservations are available a day in advance so at this point we will be making last minute decisions of when to go based on what else we have going on and how we all feel and what's available at that point. I don't like having to book so far in advance and then feel pressured to HAVE to go. That's too much.

We've basically already gotten our money's worth with 10 more months on the clock, so whatever.

Personally I think they messed up by offering monthly payments. I think without monthly payments passholder numbers would have been trimmed down significantly.
I think this is overstated when credit cards these days all seem to have a way to amortize a large purchase interest free.

If you ask me, the issue is really quite simple, they held back too many reservations in October and now everyone is hoarding reservations instead of trusting they will be there. It’s Toilet paper 2020 all over again.

If people trusted that supply would be there then supply would be there. Instead you have most pass holders maxing out their reservations just to have a date booked.

We were gonna upgrade our hoppers to Magic Keys in a few weeks but I’m having serious doubts about it now… I think we just wait and see how the rest of the year goes. Makes me sad, I was excited to FINALLY have a pass

I think this is overstated when credit cards these days all seem to have a way to amortize a large purchase interest free.

If you ask me, the issue is really quite simple, they held back too many reservations in October and now everyone is hoarding reservations instead of trusting they will be there. It’s Toilet paper 2020 all over again.

If people trusted that supply would be there then supply would be there. Instead you have most pass holders maxing out their reservations just to have a date booked.

No credit card is giving away free loans. Those payments schedules that credit cards are offering for large purchases charge fees anywhere from 3-6% depending on how many months you want to stretch payments over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter