MA to Aulani...

rljslo

Earning My Ears
1st trip to Aulani.... Lots of questions!

1) going in May
2) Stopping at DL on way back

Has anyone traveled from MA to Aulani? If so - any tips on best way to manage flights? Which airports? Best airlines?

Best airport to land in for DL? Best airport to fly from DL back to MA?

Best days to travel?

Recommended number of days at Aulani (we will want to visit Pearl Harbor).

Recommended number of days at DL?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
rljslo

I'm originally from MA but now live in FL. I've been to Aulani 5+ times now. I've tried two routes between here and Honolulu. MCO>ATL>HNL and MCO>LAX>MCO. Of the two I prefer the short/long MCO>ATL<HNL route. It would be the same if I was still living in MA.

Basically, the equation for me is that a 5-hour flight from MCO to LAX is draining. Having to do that again was not a great prospect. As compared to a very short flight to ATL, followed by a 10 hour flight to HNL. I'd much prefer the latter. I can convince myself that once that long flight is over I'm done. I don't have to do it all over again.

Can't help on the number of days at Aulani, but I'd say nothing less than 7 days in Hawaii. It takes nearly 2 days to recover from the flight anda adjust to the 6 hour time difference. There is much to see/do in Hawaii and you'll need that time to do the island justice.

On the return trip and your stop at DL, I'd suggest 3 days there. The parks are really special there. You can do both DL and DCA in a day each with the extra day to cover things that you might have missed on your first pass.

1st trip to Aulani.... Lots of questions!

1) going in May
2) Stopping at DL on way back

Has anyone traveled from MA to Aulani? If so - any tips on best way to manage flights? Which airports? Best airlines?

Best airport to land in for DL? Best airport to fly from DL back to MA?

Best days to travel?

Recommended number of days at Aulani (we will want to visit Pearl Harbor).

Recommended number of days at DL?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
rljslo
Multiple days a week, Hawaiian Airlines offers direct flights round-trip between Logan and Honolulu. I always do this rather than stopping. Hawaiian is one of my favorite airlines. I only fly on weekends due to my work schedule. This flight from Logan is 9ish and arrives at Honolulu at 2ish.

When I fly to DL, LAX tends to be the only direct flight to Logan, with JetBlue offering the most direct flights.

I spent a week at Aulani without Island hopping or resort hopping. Oahu is small enough to drive from Aulani to an offsite destination, especially if you plan around rush hour. I do off-site activities on alternating days.

I like to spend 4-5 days at DL since I'm a park fanatic, but I think 2-3 days should be enough.

Multiple days a week, Hawaiian Airlines offers direct flights round-trip between Logan and Honolulu. I always do this rather than stopping. Hawaiian is one of my favorite airlines. I only fly on weekends due to my work schedule. This flight from Logan is 9ish and arrives at Honolulu at 2ish.

When I fly to DL, LAX tends to be the only direct flight to Logan, with JetBlue offering the most direct flights.

I spent a week at Aulani without Island hopping or resort hopping. Oahu is small enough to drive from Aulani to an offsite destination, especially if you plan around rush hour. I do off-site activities on alternating days.

I like to spend 4-5 days at DL since I'm a park fanatic, but I think 2-3 days should be enough.
Thank you! Much appreciated!

I'm originally from MA but now live in FL. I've been to Aulani 5+ times now. I've tried two routes between here and Honolulu. MCO>ATL>HNL and MCO>LAX>MCO. Of the two I prefer the short/long MCO>ATL<HNL route. It would be the same if I was still living in MA.

Basically, the equation for me is that a 5-hour flight from MCO to LAX is draining. Having to do that again was not a great prospect. As compared to a very short flight to ATL, followed by a 10 hour flight to HNL. I'd much prefer the latter. I can convince myself that once that long flight is over I'm done. I don't have to do it all over again.

Can't help on the number of days at Aulani, but I'd say nothing less than 7 days in Hawaii. It takes nearly 2 days to recover from the flight anda adjust to the 6 hour time difference. There is much to see/do in Hawaii and you'll need that time to do the island justice.

On the return trip and your stop at DL, I'd suggest 3 days there. The parks are really special there. You can do both DL and DCA in a day each with the extra day to cover things that you might have missed on your first pass.
Thank you! I had not considered the "recovery time".... Very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter