Lounging spaces besides room and pool

Maine_Belle

Mouseketeer
In my quest to determine the best mix of value for room and getting as many "wants" as I can, I'm considering room square footage in my evaluation. If we decide to stay in a smaller room where there isn't tons of extra space, to sit around together, what are alternate locations to just hang out?

I'm thinking about our resort break days if we don't want to sit by the pool, but still want to relax off our feet and talk, read a book, play a card game, etc. What options do we have? I do realize this is dependent on what resort we end up at, but I really don't have a sense if lots or only a few resorts have public space like I'm thinking about!

Lobbies and food courts also work. A lot of resorts also have little nooks. Values have fewer nooks with seating areas though.

Beach Club has the Solarium.
There are also some wide swings along the beach outside BC, as well as lounge chairs.
I've also seen folks hanging out in the chairs outside the Yachtsman during the day, before they start serving dinner.

On our last trip, our one bedroom villa at BLT wasn't ready yet when we arrived. We didn't want to go anywhere and wanted to watch television, so we rode the escalator up to the second floor of the Contemporary Convention Center and found a couple of chairs to sit and watch television on our tablets. Coronado Springs also has a good convention center to find a good place to sit and avoid the people.

Caribbean Beach has lots of little beaches with chairs/ hammocks, gazebos with swings and seating on the Island and plenty of benches along the walking paths. There's also seating in the lobby area and little garden areas with tables and chairs between some of the buildings.

If you stay at a value or moderate resort you can go to the food court. There’s lots of seating.

I know you said no pool area, but many resorts have plenty of tables near the pools where you can play games or cards. Saw a family at CSR doing just that.

I will say I have never had an issue finding a quiet spot for some reading or relaxing. But have you given any thought to booking a room with a balcony? When we have had those rooms at the Swan and Dolphin the balcony was definitely my favorite spot to relax. A glass of wine and a book, it was perfect.

Last edited:
Gran Destino Tower has an amazing lobby and relaxing spaces. But it does really depend on your preferences, and what resort is to your liking and is financially acceptable.

Riverside and POFQ have several areas to sit and relax. I would bring a blanket or large beach towel since it willbe on the grass. Sit on the boat dock.

Animal Kingdom lodge has a great circular seating area as well as many other places in their lobby. They also have the outside fire with rocking chairs. You may also be able to find a corner table to sit at and play cards or games. IF you stay club level at AKL the lounge is open all day until 10 pm. I have seen several people in there playing card games like Uno, Phase 10 etc.

Beach/Yacht Club have several areas in their lobbies to sit comfortably for a couple of hours.

When you check in, ask a cast member and I am sure they can suggest something for you.

Boardwalk Inn has several semi-private indoor areas furnished like small living rooms. It also appears to have the highest number of rocking chairs/lounge chairs on its main patio.

These are great suggestions, all! Sounds like it's very specific to resort and I'll have to do my research as we get closer to making a decision. For example, my family loves the idea of the Poly, which who doesn't, but if I get my wish to stay for 9 nights, I'm thinking the walls might close in on us by the end. Being able to have other locations to chill out away from our luggage and worn clothes, especially inside since we'll be heading down at hurricane season, is important. I'd love a 1 BR where I know we'll have the space, but oof, the price tag...

As always, the DIS is a never ending source of knowledge! Thanks all!

I've only stayed at Poly twice and both times in the same building (non-DVC section). I would NOT want to stay there during hurricane season. The resort comprises of scattered small buildings that are not connected to the main hall. The rooms on the first floor are literally ground level, not great in case of flooding.

AKL has Simba's Play House (may be called Simba's Club House) - it's a place you can hang out in like your own living room (that's how the cast member described it to multiple people while my kids and I did just that). Lots of DVC resorts have community rooms. There are also the lounges - Belle Vue at the Boardwalk and Enchanted Rose at the GF to name just two. Both would make a good space to veg out with a book or tablet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter