Louisiana

We'll be in Disney for the next 2 games. Well the best game we will be traveling home. LSU vs Arkansas, can't wait to hear that one. We'll be listening to it on the radio, which I hate to do but hey we will just be leaving Disney so who cares, this time anyway. :rotfl:

:cheer2: GEAUX TIGERS!!! :cheer2:

SusanMomOf2 said:
Hi. I'm a proud Army wife, and we're stationed at Ft. Polk (Leesville). We love it so much there that we hope to be restationed at Ft. Polk. :-)

Susan

Glad to hear ya'll love it here! Welcome! :)

I am now in Covington, but lived in Plano for 2 years-had my first born at Medical Center of Plano-lived at Steeplechase apts on Alma! Lived the whole rest of my life in south Louisiana.

Anyone out there from around the Lake Charles area? :cool1:

Hi everyone!!! We are in Berwick, LA about 90 miles S/SW of New Orleans!!! Almost in the Gulf!! Leaving in 2 days for our trip!!!!!!

Nine Mile Point, just outside New Orleans.

Fort Wilderness - Dec. 3 - 16 -- Come by and meet Princess Hollie the Yorkie - she's quite the social butterfly !!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, so many from Louisiana. I'm right outside of Baton Rouge. We will be going on a land/sea cruise at the end of May and i am counting down the days.

I posted this on the Community Board and someone directed me to this thread! Can anyone give me info on Lafayette LA?

DH's company may be relocate us there and we'd have to decide whether it would be worth it for me to quit my job and have our family move, or whether it'd be better for him to quit and try to find a new job.

Real Estate looks expensive! How is housing in general? Schools? Environment? Employment? Things to do? Are people mostly nice?

Thanks!

javaj said:
I posted this on the Community Board and someone directed me to this thread! Can anyone give me info on Lafayette LA?

DH's company may be relocate us there and we'd have to decide whether it would be worth it for me to quit my job and have our family move, or whether it'd be better for him to quit and try to find a new job.

Real Estate looks expensive! How is housing in general? Schools? Environment? Employment? Things to do? Are people mostly nice?

Thanks!

Lafayette is a wonderful place to live, I went to ULL and have many friends there that I love to visit. Compared to California, Boston, New York housing is SOOO cheap here in Louisiana. BUT because of Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Katrina housing prices in Louisiana are def. on the high side right nowand with Lafayette not really having any damage you can imagine that the demand is up right now in that area. From what I understand public schools arent so hot in Lafayette right now, there are tons of good private schools there and I just heard from a friend the other day that he and his wife have moved to a little town right outside of Lafayette named Youngsville. He said that his son is in public school there and they have been really happy with it. He used to attend private school in Lafayette. Cajun folks are wonderful, everyone is sooo friendly and all they want to do is to feed you all the time LOL! Hope you arent a pickey eater! The Village at River Ranch is a nice development and I love the older houses around ULL. I would give my right arm to move back but no deal with hubby his job is here.
Other areas to look at living near but not IN lafayette is Youngsville, Broussard ( all within 15 mins at the most of Laf.) also lots of folks live in New Iberia and work in Lafayette. But with traffic these days the 30 mins it used to take, prob is a 40-45 min commute. New Iberia is not as big as Laf but not as small as the other two little places i mentioned.
Girard park is a wonderful place to hang with the kiddies, I sometimes drive over just to spend the day there with my son.
http://riverranch.info/riverranch/index.htm
Im sure someone else can give you more idea about the town than i can since its been a few yrs since ive lived there. I just visit alot now.
They have good shopping and Mardi gras is pretty big deal around there.
There are lots of things to do and exploring all the little towns around Laf. will keep you busy for a while.

I didn't realize ya'll were all over here. I lived in Lakeview up until you-know-who hit and have parked in Mandeville for the last year. We are moving back across the lake next month to Old Metairie! Woohoo!!!

javaj said:
I moved to Lafayette from Salt Lake City seven years ago. I see you're in Colorado right now. One thing's for sure - it's going to be a big adjustment! I'm still homesick for the mountains and the dry air, particularly during the summer when it's 95 degrees outside and the humidity is at 90%. The climate of Louisiana is VASTLY different than Colorado.

The people in Lafayette are very friendly. The food here is VERY good (and I've gained the weight to prove it).

However, the layout of the city is awful. There are over 100,000 people in Lafayette, but the city planners have not accommodated the growth. There's really no good way to get anywhere. The main highway running north/south is only two lanes in either direction, which means it's a parking lot during rush hour. There's no loop around the city. I actually moved to the south side of town to be closer to my job simply to avoid sitting in 45-60 minutes of traffic (each way!) to go only 12 miles.

Housing isn't too expensive around here. New developments are going up all the time. Youngsville, as a PP mentioned, is one of the hot spots for development. Compared to the national average, housing is CHEAP here.

Fintastic said:
However, the layout of the city is awful. There are over 100,000 people in Lafayette, but the city planners have not accommodated the growth. There's really no good way to get anywhere. The main highway running north/south is only two lanes in either direction, which means it's a parking lot during rush hour. There's no loop around the city. I actually moved to the south side of town to be closer to my job simply to avoid sitting in 45-60 minutes of traffic (each way!) to go only 12 miles.

Housing isn't too expensive around here. New developments are going up all the time. Youngsville, as a PP mentioned, is one of the hot spots for development. Compared to the national average, housing is CHEAP here.

That right I forgot to mention traffic is AWFUL in Lafayette! Where Dh's job will be and where you buy should def. be looked at carefully.
I lived in N.I. from 88'-91- and then lafayette from '91-'94 and honestly traffic wasnt much better then.

Thanks for the Lafayette info! Plans are still up in the air, but it is nice to get info anyway. DH's co-workers also mentioned Youngsville (and Milton) so we will keep that area in mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter