Lots of service dogs this trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I have a severe allergy. So I sympathize- but I just don't think it's practical to expect a business to ban everything a person might be severely allergic to. The pure rooms is a cool idea, one that I have yet to see, but you realize that there is no guarantee the room is pure? They can't refuse a service animal by law so one could always get stuck in a "pure" rooms. Then there is stuff that people carry in with their luggage. At best it's a clever marketing trick. But I do agree that hotels should clean rooms thoroughly after a dog stays there.

Are you saying sitting next to a ferret stowed under the seat will send your child or you into anaphylactic shock? Because that's a new one to me.

I have not been on many flights with animals, and very few with service dogs. I fly often. So I don't know how widespread the issue is, but airlines make money off people with pets, so they're not going to stop offering it. And the way I see it- it's like screaming children or smelly people or nervous travelers. If you don't want to encounter them, your only choice is to not to take public transportation.

OT - don't want to veer too far from the post's intent, this will be my last response trying to clarify.

My thoughts are if a hotel room is declared pure, they will likely do a very thorough cleaning if an animal has used it, possible liability issues. Many animals are said to be hypoallergenic. My dog has hair :) but not un-common for dander & saliva to be triggers for some vs fur. In a hotel room it's difficult to be proactive when you can't see the allergen or know if it was there beforehand.

a screaming kid or nervous traveler is an irritant but doesn't tend to trigger allergic reactions that i know of lol, not the same thing at all.

I'm a frequent flyer, know the drill but would like to have advance knowledge of where the animals are located on the plane To avoid/request to be moved. FA's dealing with the issue typically separate them (the person moves, not the animal btw) but those passengers need to know/see where the animals are located. far easier to know upfront than juggle seats once buckled up.

when push comes to shove, there are other 'options'. Passengers with the issue who cannot or aren't satisfied with the FA's suggestions are typically offered a seat on later flight. With the discount carriers that can be an issue. many don't schedule flights more than once/day, often days apart in low season. They only have so much time to settle the issue so the plane takes off in it's alloted window. It could likely affect all aboard if not resolved.

Those with severe allergies don't always go 'full blown', everyone is different. Goal is to catch the initial symptoms that something is amiss and be proactive to take antihistamines etc. Peanut allergies as i understand it are another 'animal' all together.

I was across the aisle from the ferrets i mentioned, another passenger stuck between the two owners. He became alarmed when they suddenly appeared. Can't say i blame him as they were squirming all over the place, up on owner's shoulders etc. comical at first, thought he was kidding around. His fear was real. If one does have an animal in an enclosed space it needs to be controlled, at least on a leash & within the confines of the seat. If they need more room and want to spread out, buy an extra seat IMO.

Flights to FL from our area, seem to have lots of seniors (snowbirds) & leisure travelers, likely increases the proportion of animals coming along for the ride, not to mention that worst kept secret that you can buy those cute little vests/cards cheaply on the 'net and have Fido do a ride along - free.

But for anyone with a fear or allergy of dogs I suggest you steer clear of my home airport YYC - they recently indroduced their own ESA program where they bring the dogs into the airport every day to help air travelers who are stressed. My sister has some darling pictures of the ESA and my nephew standing at the window watching planes come in.

Just to clarify the terms again, these dogs (I assume) are THERAPY dogs, not ESAs.

Therapy dogs are trained and must pass exams to be certified. These dogs can be trusted to be well behaved and reliable around all ages of people in various situations. They are invited to "work" at hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.

ESAs are just pets whose owners rely on to relieve issues like anxiety. They do not require any training. That's why most of the posters here are annoyed by the increased number of people trying to pass them off as "service dogs" and bring them everywhere.

OT - don't want to veer too far from the post's intent, this will be my last response trying to clarify.

My thoughts are if a hotel room is declared pure, they will likely do a very thorough cleaning if an animal has used it, possible liability issues. Many animals are said to be hypoallergenic. My dog has hair :) but not un-common for dander & saliva to be triggers for some vs fur. In a hotel room it's difficult to be proactive when you can't see the allergen or know if it was there beforehand.

a screaming kid or nervous traveler is an irritant but doesn't tend to trigger allergic reactions that i know of lol, not the same thing at all.

I'm a frequent flyer, know the drill but would like to have advance knowledge of where the animals are located on the plane To avoid/request to be moved. FA's dealing with the issue typically separate them (the person moves, not the animal btw) but those passengers need to know/see where the animals are located. far easier to know upfront than juggle seats once buckled up.

when push comes to shove, there are other 'options'. Passengers with the issue who cannot or aren't satisfied with the FA's suggestions are typically offered a seat on later flight. With the discount carriers that can be an issue. many don't schedule flights more than once/day, often days apart in low season. They only have so much time to settle the issue so the plane takes off in it's alloted window. It could likely affect all aboard if not resolved.

Those with severe allergies don't always go 'full blown', everyone is different. Goal is to catch the initial symptoms that something is amiss and be proactive to take antihistamines etc. Peanut allergies as i understand it are another 'animal' all together.

I was across the aisle from the ferrets i mentioned, another passenger stuck between the two owners. He became alarmed when they suddenly appeared. Can't say i blame him as they were squirming all over the place, up on owner's shoulders etc. comical at first, thought he was kidding around. His fear was real. If one does have an animal in an enclosed space it needs to be controlled, at least on a leash & within the confines of the seat. If they need more room and want to spread out, buy an extra seat IMO.

Flights to FL from our area, seem to have lots of seniors (snowbirds) & leisure travelers, likely increases the proportion of animals coming along for the ride, not to mention that worst kept secret that you can buy those cute little vests/cards cheaply on the 'net and have Fido do a ride along - free.

Thanks for explaining your view on hotels. I still think it's a gimmick- I would bet somewhere in the fine print is a disclaimer about no liability on the hotel's part.

Then the ferrets were a phobia not an allergy, so that's not the same thing. They should have been contained though- I like ferrets but I would not be okay with sitting next to that either in an airplane.

The discount carrier infrequency is good point but if I had an issue like that, I'd never fly with those airlines. You know it can happen; it's just not worth the risk.

The snowbird thing makes sense. I rarely fly to a snowbird destination and I've not been to one at all during "migration" season! I did notice a disproportionate number of both elderly and children on my Florida flights. Almost everything else out of my airport is usually full of business and a pretty equal crossection of the population.

I understand wanting advance warning but I don't even get advance warning for schedule changes or seat changes most of the time! Pipe dream when it comes to airlines alas.

Just to clarify the terms again, these dogs (I assume) are THERAPY dogs, not ESAs.

Therapy dogs are trained and must pass exams to be certified. These dogs can be trusted to be well behaved and reliable around all ages of people in various situations. They are invited to "work" at hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc.

ESAs are just pets whose owners rely on to relieve issues like anxiety. They do not require any training. That's why most of the posters here are annoyed by the increased number of people trying to pass them off as "service dogs" and bring them everywhere.

You could be correct - I haven't met one yet or seen them in person and am unsure exactly how they are designated but they probably fit more completely into the Therapy Dog category than that of an ESA.

I have two friends with ESAs both of whom have sent their dogs for very extensive training to help them cope, but they still do not qualify as service dogs and neither would ever attempt to pass them off as such. One of them cannot even travel with her ESA to visit her family out of province due to the irrational ban issued on certain breeds that exists in their home province.

They are not the same thing. Stay off of WebMD. LOL

ER, there isn't much point in debating this with anyone who starts their post with an insult, but you are incorrect on multiple points, and anyone who suffers from asthma or a food allergy shouldn't be getting medical advice from this thread.

Last edited:
We encountered a young couple last weekend at a music festival with an "emotional support dog" (according to the dog's vest). The dog barked frequently at the loud music, was allowed to run onto neighboring blankets, nosing other people's food. The owners chuckled at the dog's antics.
Not sure what this actually accomplished for the owner's anxiety but the poor dog seemed anxious in this setting.

This irresponsible behavior makes it much tougher on those who have actual trained service animals and disabilities.
Would like to see more businesses/venues crack down on allowing these "emotional support animals".

In WDW now and we've seen many more animals in the parks than on past trips. While I know that we are training animals to help in more/different ways these days, hard to believe that legitimate use has increased this much over the past 10 yrs or so.

Honestly, some of the animals have stood out because they are not behaving the way true service animals are trained to. Makes me think that many of these are now emotional support animals... which I understand to be incredibly easy to have designated/treated as such. However, the latter are not subject to the same restrictions on a business by the ADA (i.e. can only ask if it's a service animal and what tasks it performs, cannot ask for certification, etc.; https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet).

I still think that certifications and training should be required for any animal in these situations, and that proof should be carried by the owner. I think it's ridiculous that all CMs can do is ask if the animal is a therapy animal. Per the ADA: "A business has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business." I hope that CMs are empowered if/when this happens in a park.

With things being SO loose, I can imagine someone being hurt by an animal that really isn't trained.

This thread has me nervous. Dh has ptsd and has a service dog. Wicket makes a sure he stays with the group and if he does wander off let's out a certain bark to get his attention and guides him back to me. When he has flashbacks Wicket jumps on his lap and licks and paws at his face until he comes to. When we are in a strange unfamiliar place and hubby's hyper vigilance takes over Wicket sniffs around and signals that he is safe. It sounds silly, but it calms him down drastically. Those are just 3 of the things he has been trained to do.

Here's what im worried about. Wicket looks like his ewok namesake. He is a yorkie mix. Dh has been on bumeroud waiting lists for service dogs, but never gotten a call. The doc at the VA told him that there were very few reputable ones and many were scams. They suggested he train his own. They've given the same advice to other vets we know as well. He was given a list of trainers in the area that could help. There is no actual certification or permit or license. Which is why are able to pass off fake ones.

We were skeptical but had just gotten a sheltie and figured he'd be perfect. WRONG he's a sweet boy but totally wrong demeanor for dh's needs. While attempting to train the fluffball, wicket stayed by hubs side and we saw how receptive he was.

Our vet has a trainer and we took him and asked a bunch questions. We thought itd be ludicrous to have a 7lb cutie a service.dog but we were told.otherwise. Its the individual dog not necessarily the breed. We were told to go for it.

If you see a guy with a bunch of kids walking an adorable teddy bear in a red vest. (Vest are.not required but we found it cuts down on comments) Yes, he is actually a service dog.

The only thing I dislike is dh has been approached by random strangers numerous times and asked how they can get their Fido certified, they hate leaving him at home. He never tells them there is no certication. He once answered go to war and go crazy.

We encountered a young couple last weekend at a music festival with an "emotional support dog" (according to the dog's vest). The dog barked frequently at the loud music, was allowed to run onto neighboring blankets, nosing other people's food. The owners chuckled at the dog's antics.
Not sure what this actually accomplished for the owner's anxiety but the poor dog seemed anxious in this setting.

This irresponsible behavior makes it much tougher on those who have actual trained service animals and disabilities.
Would like to see more businesses/venues crack down on allowing these "emotional support animals".
Yes, it's the absolute worst when the owners don't care what their dog does

This thread has me nervous. Dh has ptsd and has a service dog. Wicket makes a sure he stays with the group and if he does wander off let's out a certain bark to get his attention and guides him back to me. When he has flashbacks Wicket jumps on his lap and licks and paws at his face until he comes to. When we are in a strange unfamiliar place and hubby's hyper vigilance takes over Wicket sniffs around and signals that he is safe. It sounds silly, but it calms him down drastically. Those are just 3 of the things he has been trained to do.

Here's what im worried about. Wicket looks like his ewok namesake. He is a yorkie mix. Dh has been on bumeroud waiting lists for service dogs, but never gotten a call. The doc at the VA told him that there were very few reputable ones and many were scams. They suggested he train his own. They've given the same advice to other vets we know as well. He was given a list of trainers in the area that could help. There is no actual certification or permit or license. Which is why are able to pass off fake ones.

We were skeptical but had just gotten a sheltie and figured he'd be perfect. WRONG he's a sweet boy but totally wrong demeanor for dh's needs. While attempting to train the fluffball, wicket stayed by hubs side and we saw how receptive he was.

Our vet has a trainer and we took him and asked a bunch questions. We thought itd be ludicrous to have a 7lb cutie a service.dog but we were told.otherwise. Its the individual dog not necessarily the breed. We were told to go for it.

If you see a guy with a bunch of kids walking an adorable teddy bear in a red vest. (Vest are.not required but we found it cuts down on comments) Yes, he is actually a service dog.

The only thing I dislike is dh has been approached by random strangers numerous times and asked how they can get their Fido certified, they hate leaving him at home. He never tells them there is no certication. He once answered go to war and go crazy.
Huge appreciation for your husband's and your family's service!

Just wanted to say that while I think there should be certification to ensure safety, I and my family have never and would never make a comment to ANYONE using any type of service animal. I've yet to see anyone around the parks comment negatively to the person with the animal. I hope that no one will make any of you uncomfortable. I do think the vest helps some -- it's like a label that we're all accustomed to seeing, and when it isn't there it might stand out in a setting like a theme park.

Hope you all have a fantastic trip! :)

Huge appreciation for your husband's and your family's service!

Just wanted to say that while I think there should be certification to ensure safety, I and my family have never and would never make a comment to ANYONE using any type of service animal. I've yet to see anyone around the parks comment negatively to the person with the animal. I hope that no one will make any of you uncomfortable. I do think the vest helps some -- it's like a label that we're all accustomed to seeing, and when it isn't there it might stand out in a setting like a theme park.

Hope you all have a fantastic trip! :)

We've been questioned before because he is so small. We had a manager at a target, who obviously didn't know the ada rules follow us around and question us. "That's the wrong breed for a service dog, it's too small!" It was a bizarre experience with an ignorant fellow. That weird experience got my nerves up.

I also agree that there should be certification.

In WDW now and we've seen many more animals in the parks than on past trips. While I know that we are training animals to help in more/different ways these days, hard to believe that legitimate use has increased this much over the past 10 yrs or so.

Honestly, some of the animals have stood out because they are not behaving the way true service animals are trained to. Makes me think that many of these are now emotional support animals... which I understand to be incredibly easy to have designated/treated as such. However, the latter are not subject to the same restrictions on a business by the ADA (i.e. can only ask if it's a service animal and what tasks it performs, cannot ask for certification, etc.; https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet).

I still think that certifications and training should be required for any animal in these situations, and that proof should be carried by the owner. I think it's ridiculous that all CMs can do is ask if the animal is a therapy animal. Per the ADA: "A business has the right to deny access to a dog that disrupts their business." I hope that CMs are empowered if/when this happens in a park.

With things being SO loose, I can imagine someone being hurt by an animal that really isn't trained.
CMs ask if it's a service dog. Everyone in WDW who sees any dog acting unlike a service dog should immediately go to a CM. Tell them that there is a dog that is definitely not a service dog since it's not acting like a service dog. Point to it or tell them the location. The CMs will then either handle it or get a security CM to. It's important that everyone does this to ensure the rules are enforced.

Again, I don't know why some people want to risk so much: misdemeanor charges for misrepresenting it, ejection from and possible ban from the parks, and people suing them if harmed by their dog. All because they want to bring their pet along with them. Unfortunately some people don't care. But they will care if they have to.

Let's not forget OUR rights (all us law-abiding citizens in the parks)
It being a misdemeanor to misrepresent a dog as a service dog in FL
Park rules
Park security
Our ability to sue if attacked

We've been questioned before because he is so small. We had a manager at a target, who obviously didn't know the ada rules follow us around and question us. "That's the wrong breed for a service dog, it's too small!" It was a bizarre experience with an ignorant fellow. That weird experience got my nerves up.

I also agree that there should be certification.
I am pretty confident in saying that no CM will approach you with ignorance of the ADA!!

As to other guests... can't help there being ignorant/rude people out there, but not their jobs to comment or approach you! I'd suspect that more people will be feeling the pixie dust and maybe comment on how cute Wicket is than anything else. :)

*goodvibes* to you all that IF anything stupid is said, that it won't impact your trip.

There is a lady at my church who now carries a fluffy little service dog. Its a cute dog and honestly acts almost comatose as it doesn't do anything. The lady has a terminal illness and the dog is a comfort animal. I thought it a little strange at first but the dog is soo passive that we all quickly became accustomed to it. Now the dog has a stroller and cute outfit. Not sure how that improves its service but it does make it a bigger distraction then when she just carried it in her arms.

I am pretty confident in saying that no CM will approach you with ignorance of the ADA!!

As to other guests... can't help there being ignorant/rude people out there, but not their jobs to comment or approach you! I'd suspect that more people will be feeling the pixie dust and maybe comment on how cute Wicket is than anything else. :)

*goodvibes* to you all that IF anything stupid is said, that it won't impact your trip.

I'm sure we'll have an awesome trip. We're almost at the 60 day mark. We went to Disneyland last year and Wicket did great and the only comments were positive. I'm sure I'm worried about nothing. I should be worried about my disney hating in-laws that decided to tagalong this trip.

I can understand your trepidation, but your DH's dog is protected by the ADA. You named at least 3 specific tasks (and the 3 tasks I counted had multiple parts so it could be considered more than 3 tasks) the dog has been trained to do to assist your DH with his disability. It is acceptable to do the training yourself and you had input from your vet's trainer. I'm assuming a big part of the training was also in how to stay focused on his work and how to handle crowds. It sounds like your DH has a wonderful service dog, even if he is only 7lbs. Thank you to your DH for his service.

I'm sure we'll have an awesome trip. We're almost at the 60 day mark. We went to Disneyland last year and Wicket did great and the only comments were positive. I'm sure I'm worried about nothing. I should be worried about my disney hating in-laws that decided to tagalong this trip.
That should definitely be your bigger worry. Maybe they can hang out at the hotel while you and your DH and kids enjoy the parks. Enjoy your trip.:goodvibes:goodvibes

Actually, it's the venue's lack of action that makes it harder for people.

He once answered go to war and go crazy.

I like your DH's attitude.

Don't be nervous. You will be fine.

When you reported him to target HQ how did they respond?

There is a lady at my church who now carries a fluffy little service dog.

The lady has a terminal illness and the dog is a comfort animal.

Service dog isn't the same thing as a comfort animal.

Actually, it's the venue's lack of action that makes it harder for people.

We should've reported. Heck I was a manager at Target myself years back. I know the rules. Dh was on the verge of a panic attack so we left. I'm still kicking myself for not calling corporate.

I like your DH's attitude.

Don't be nervous. You will be fine.

When you reported him to target HQ how did they respond?

Service dog isn't the same thing as a comfort animal.

People in my apartment complex last week told me they were going to register or train (or w/e?) their dog as a service animal, not for themselves, but because the dog became traumatized if they went on vacation without him. They said he experienced "FOMO" (fear of missing out).

Not kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter