• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loose coins?

eeyoresmom

DIS Veteran
I just found a bucket of loose coins in a little used closet. Thinking of adding this to the Disney fund for some fun "extra". What do you do with loose coin? I don't mind rolling them if I can find the paper wrappers.....

I saw somewhere if you fill a 2 liter bottle with only dimes it will total about $700! i took a 1 liter water bottle and spray painted it lime green, keeping a clear stripe down the side (so its easy to see progress). We are about 1/3 full since November!

When we get about 2-3 weeks out from vacation the kids and I count and roll the change. That becomes snack money.mmwe have donr this for years

My bank doesn't take loose change, so I either buy coin rollers and roll them myself (you can get them at the dollar store), or take them to Coinstar to trade for gift cards. Coinstar doesn't charge a fee if you turn your coins into gift cards.

I guess I would first check if your bank has coin counters. Our bank recently shut down all its coin counting machines due to questions of accuracy. So now they will give you the paper rolls and you can roll the coins.

I roll mine since there isn't a coin counter at my bank and I refuse to pay a %. I buy coin wrappers at the dollar store.

Some coinstars will give you gift cards for your change at no cost. We typically turn our coins into a best buy gift card then use that to purchase a disney card in store. Check your coinstar first to see if they offer it though. The Kroger by us doesn't have this option, but Meijer does.

I keep them in my cup holder in the car and in a pen/pencil holder on my desk lamp. My kids use this change when necessary. Every time we take a trip, even a short trip and we stop at a rest stop.. they simply MUST use the change for a snack or soda even if they are NOT hungry or thirsty.. its as if they are paying a tax.. gotta do it! At home, they will use that change when they need to bring a dollar to school for some silly thing going on, like wear a hat (for $1) day..

I roll my coins and deposit into my bank account a day or so before we leave for Disney.

We took ours to coinstar and got amazon gift cards where they took no fees. I like the idea above of getting a Best Buy gift card and then buying a disney card with it if you're looking for Disney money.

(My bank does not have in-store counters, so I would either have to roll it, or they'd send it to some facility and in 3-5 days they'd deposit the money in my account.)

Yes my bank no longer has coin counters. I'm going to check our local Walmart and see if I can cash out without a fee for best buy. How do they handle odd dollar amounts though? Do they only give you a 25 or 50 dollar gift card or is it exact amount of coin deposit?

Last edited:
Yes my bank no longer has coin counters. I'm going to check our local Walmart and see if I can cash out without a fee for best buy. How do they handle odd dollar amounts though? Do they only give you a 25 or 50 dollar gift card or is it exact amount of coin deposit?

My amazon one was for the exact amount. They gave me a gift card code, I typed it in on amazon, and it was like $376 and change.

Took mine to the bank machine they have just before Christmas, one completely filled Taco Bell plastic giant cup and it was $97!! Took the slip and deposited right into my checking :thumbsup2

We took ours to coinstar and got amazon gift cards where they took no fees. I like the idea above of getting a Best Buy gift card and then buying a disney card with it if you're looking for Disney money.

(My bank does not have in-store counters, so I would either have to roll it, or they'd send it to some facility and in 3-5 days they'd deposit the money in my account.)

What does Coinstar do of you accidentally put in non-US currency? I always find at least a few when I roll my coins.

With coins....
  • I feed it to a subway vending machine.
  • I feed it to a drink or snack machine
  • I use it to tip the waiter/waitress
  • give it to the homeless
  • I use to pay for group office lunches.... we don't have to wait for the cashier to make change.

Best buy has the variable load cards so you can put the exact amount on them. As far as non US currency it will spit out anything it can't count. We found a few Canadian coins along with a fake penny my son put in his jar the last time we cashed out.

I take mine to Coinstar and get either Starbucks to use at Disney or Best Buy to convert to a Disney gift card. They give you the exact amount of change and take no fees from it.
Thanks for the BB suggestion! I had forgotten all about being able to use their GCs to buy Disney GCs. I have a ton of change sitting in jars because TDBank and PNC took out the coin counters in the lobbies. I didn't want to give CoinStar a percentage of my money, so a BB GC works for me! I know that it's an even exchange, but at least it won't be just sitting there anymore and I can get Shopkicks for the BB purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter