Lookout Cay snorkeling

They haven't made any mention yet I don't think but I imagine with it being purpose built there will be something similar to castaway

They haven't made any mention yet I don't think but I imagine with it being purpose built there will be something similar to castaway

one would think... but to perhaps limit expectations, one of the differences between castaway cay and lookout cay, is because lookout cay is part of an inhabited island, they actually offer 'real' shore excursions with 'real' snorkeling trips to see reefs and fish. They might think this will satisfy the people that want to see more. can never tell with disney. guess we will find out soon enough.

I guess "things to see" depends on your interpretation of what things you're meaning. It also will really depend on how much they disturb the area. So basically if you're looking for the touristy stuff that Disney sinks as the "things to see" we don't know yet. I'd assume at some point they'll disney-fy it but I'm not sure when. They have made a pretty big deal about this island being focused more on the culture and natural areas of the island. So maybe they'll leave it untouched aside from ropes and nets.

Marine life will really depend on what's already there and how much they disturb the area. I.e. if they bring a lot of sand in and cover up some of the plant life then most likely the fish living there will move on and there won't be much to see for a while until the area recovers.

Then if you mean "things to see" like you're expecting tons of fish like other excursions its also important to keep in mind most of those other excursions like in Nassau and such they are baiting the fish in and my understanding is Disney does not do that.

I would assume the first 6+ months there won't be a ton going on just because no matter what some of the area is getting disturbed so I wouldn't expect large numbers of fish and such if you're going that soon. I'm sure there will be outside of the "lagoon" area to snorkel with real excursions so that will be different. My comment is specifically for the kind of DIY snorkeling you can do at Castaway where you rent the gear and go.

I'm mostly following to see if we can bring our own snorkeling equipment and have a place to go out to on our own. Hoping to hear about the experiences once people start visiting the island.

I'm mostly following to see if we can bring our own snorkeling equipment and have a place to go out to on our own. Hoping to hear about the experiences once people start visiting the island.
I'd assume the rules will be the same as castaway. You can bring your own gear but you're required to wear one of their yellow life vests. You can get them from the rental station to use at no cost if you're not renting the mask, snorkel and fins.

I am also assuming that it will be set up the same as castaway in that they'll have a certain area sectioned off specifically for snorkeling.

Disney has not said. I assume they really don't know yet and are in the final steps of figuring it out. Things we do know.

1. Disney is taking the care of the Coral very seriously. I don't think they would put any underwater Mickey's if it would disturb the coral. https://lighthousepointbahamas.com/.../11/Environmental-Overview_Fact-Sheet_v11.pdf

2. Before Disney put in Lookout Cay at light house point, the beach at lighthouse point was know for it's beauty and beautiful snorkeling . Many people said it was the best in the Bahamans. In videos I saw people snorkel just off shore and see amazing things. If the snorkeling is still that abundant it will be hard to keep people to just a small section. I am not sure how Disney will balance safety with such a long beach.

I am planning on brining my snorkel. In the best video I saw he was on the very tip of the island. I plan to walk down there and see what I can do. Fingers crossed that Disney has preserved it well and the sea-life is still abundant, and that warm waters have not bleached the coral much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter