Lookout Cay at Lighhouse Point

Bottom line - years from now, new Disney cruisers will be calling it “Lookout Cay” and others will still be saying “Lighthouse Point?”

I do like Castaway Cay better than Gorda Cay. But was the earlier name ever used for promotions?

Lighthouse Point is an established place on a long, well-established island. Not a cay on its own right.

Unnecessary marketing / re-branding. My 2 cents.

As to your sentence, yes, I am looking forward to visiting it, also.

Bottom line - years from now, new Disney cruisers will be calling it “Lookout Cay” and others will still be saying “Lighthouse Point?”

I do like Castaway Cay better than Gorda Cay. But was the earlier name ever used for promotions?

Lighthouse Point is an established place on a long, well-established island. Not a cay on its own right.

Unnecessary marketing / re-branding. My 2 cents.

As to your sentence, yes, I am looking forward to visiting it, also.
I like Lighthouse Point better than Lookout Cay. I didn't even realize giving it a name was going to be a 'thing.'

I like Lighthouse Point better than Lookout Cay. I didn't even realize giving it a name was going to be a 'thing.'

I never even thought it would have a different name, either. But that link certainly makes it sound like they are trying to label it.

And Lookout Point (whoops - meant Cay) at Lighthouse Point us too many words.

I have already slipped and called it Lookout Point when attempting to use Lookout Cay. (I had to edit that last sentence, already, when I came back and re-read it).

Guess they didn’t invite me to the Focus Group. ☺️ Expect to see me type Lighthouse Point in the future. Just out of stubbornness, possibly.

Are you on the Fantasy next month? Just back; the air conditioning was so good after the Magic. The ship looks great.

Last edited:

I think DCL fans are going to end up calling it Lighthouse Point since that is how it's burned into our brains. Seems unnecessary to give it a new, and misleading name since it's not a separate island. We will be there on the June DVC preview. Looking forward to checking it out - but suspect it will always be Lighthouse Point to us.

I think this is rebranding because it is not selling too well. The website always called the two destinations “Castaway Cay” and “Lighthouse Point”. Perhaps they thought the new name would sound more “private island-ish” for the new cruisers who didn’t know what lighthouse point is.

I think this is rebranding because it is not selling too well. The website always called the two destinations “Castaway Cay” and “Lighthouse Point”. Perhaps they thought the new name would sound more “private island-ish” for the new cruisers who didn’t know what lighthouse point is.
Not an argument with your statement. But - is it the name that is keeping down sales or 1) the unknown of sailing from Ft Lauderdale, 2) the ships which are making the visit, 3) time of year, 4) people waiting for the Treasure, or 5) other factors?

Our Nov 2024 and the Oct 2024 sailing going to Castaway and LP seem to be very popular. Maybe it is made of veteran Castaways.

Aren’t they in for a surprise when they realize the “private island” is about a mile from Princess Cay, a stretch of beach - and that there’s a road to allow public access to the LP property? (I assumed Princess Cay was an island until the LP was announced.)

(I am taking this all in light hearted fun; they are going to do what they are going to do. I just question their thinking.)

1) the unknown of sailing from Ft Lauderdale, 2) the ships which are making the visit, 3) time of year, 4) people waiting for the Treasure, or 5) other factors?
At least regarding 1 - Ft Lauderdale has been a cruise port for ages - it received its first 2 passenger ships in 1931. They know what they're doing there. Absolutely no need to worry about sailing from there.

It’s just what Disney does now. Complicated names.

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Pandora - World of Avatar
Journey of Water, inspired by Moana

These are the official names. None of us ever uses them, we use the short hand. We will with Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point as well. I think it will depend a lot on what the crew is going to use, but my guess is that it will be Lookout Cay to go with Castaway Cay. I actually like it.

There is a Lighthouse Point just north of Ft. Lauderdale in Florida so could possibly want to make a distinction.

While Castaway Cay will always feel like the 'ideal' private island, I like the benefits of a 2nd private location, including new landscape, different nature trails, snorkeling areas, and its slightly farther south (although both are still just above the tropic of cancer). Will be interesting to see what port adventures are developed for LC@LP. The first set of guests (concierge) on the inaugural Lookout Cay cruise will get to book these starting at the end of January 2024. Hopefully, DCL will provide a description of these soon so guests can start planning.

At least regarding 1 - Ft Lauderdale has been a cruise port for ages - it received its first 2 passenger ships in 1931. They know what they're doing there. Absolutely no need to worry about sailing from there.

Oh, yes. I was referring to it from a Disney cruiser Perspective - they might be uncertain or might be wanting the parks + cruise combo in that Orlando-adjacent configuration (there I go trying modern word usage 🤣).

There is a Lighthouse Point just north of Ft. Lauderdale in Florida so could possibly want to make a distinction.

While Castaway Cay will always feel like the 'ideal' private island, I like the benefits of a 2nd private location, including new landscape, different nature trails, snorkeling areas, and its slightly farther south (although both are still just above the tropic of cancer). Will be interesting to see what port adventures are developed for LC@LP. The first set of guests (concierge) on the inaugural Lookout Cay cruise will get to book these starting at the end of January 2024. Hopefully, DCL will provide a description of these soon so guests can start planning.

I will be fascinated to see how the more open-to-sea beach on the Southeast side works for families with children. The Family Beach at CC has that breakwater, which I assume by its looks is man-made, creating a very secure area.

I will be fascinated to see how the more open-to-sea beach on the Southeast side works for families with children. The Family Beach at CC has that breakwater, which I assume by its looks is man-made, creating a very secure area.
When I viewed the map, I thought it interesting the distance from the dock area to the family beach. Looks like a good walk but of course, maps can be deceiving. Either way, can’t wait to see it all myself. I hope they have some good looking merch.

Oh, yes. I was referring to it from a Disney cruiser Perspective - they might be uncertain or might be wanting the parks + cruise combo in that Orlando-adjacent configuration (there I go trying modern word usage 🤣).
Gotcha. Though there is the Brightline train that goes between Orlando and Forth Lauderdale.

Gotcha. Though there is the Brightline train that goes between Orlando and Forth Lauderdale.
The cheapest Brightline ticket from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on a random Friday (October 20) is $79/person and the trip is nearly 3 hours. What kind of "high speed" is that?

Anyway, even taking the Disney bus from MCO to PC is half that price and it's a much shorter trip. You can also book it through Disney or your Disney travel agent, unlike Brightline. And, the Brightline station in Ft. Lauderdale isn't at the airport, so you still need to book more transportation.

I can see why PC is much preferred if you're coming from the parks.

Not an argument with your statement. But - is it the name that is keeping down sales or 1) the unknown of sailing from Ft Lauderdale, 2) the ships which are making the visit, 3) time of year, 4) people waiting for the Treasure, or 5) other factors?

Our Nov 2024 and the Oct 2024 sailing going to Castaway and LP seem to be very popular. Maybe it is made of veteran Castaways.

Aren’t they in for a surprise when they realize the “private island” is about a mile from Princess Cay, a stretch of beach - and that there’s a road to allow public access to the LP property? (I assumed Princess Cay was an island until the LP was announced.)

(I am taking this all in light hearted fun; they are going to do what they are going to do. I just question their thinking.)
I’m not so sure—I just priced out two sailings to LP—one labor day on Magic, one fall break on Fantasy—and could have chosen every room category on every deck and location (aft mid forward). Was genuinely shocked at how many room options there were, including so many connecting rooms.

When I viewed the map, I thought it interesting the distance from the dock area to the family beach. Looks like a good walk but of course, maps can be deceiving. Either way, can’t wait to see it all myself. I hope they have some good looking merch.
Does anyone have an idea if they will dock like at Castaway or will it be tendered?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter