Looking for Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere a PTR

It's really a weird thing. I want it to be December so I can go, but on the other hand I really don't want it to actually be December because I haven't even seen more than 2 nice days in a row.

I've never flown Jet Blue before and am really looking forward to the tv's on every seat. Built in entertainment!
I really want to fly Jet Blue for that reason too. :rotfl:

Yay for booking flights! I know that always makes it more real to me! :goodvibes

Is resortitis catchy? Ive never suffered from the affliction before. I've always booked and stayed at the same resort. No second thoughts. (Well except for that year I was dragged kicking to an offsite resort). I've read about the disease here on the Disboards, but was feeling immune. I think I'm starting to show a few warning signs.:scared:

I've been toying with the idea changing my reservations/resort. :rolleyes1

I was sitting down and going over my numbers last night and seeing how much I still had to pay for on my trip so I could budget accordingly. (I'm trying really hard to not put any of this trip on my credit card). I keep hoping that a super room only code will fall into my lap, but so far nothing. From what I've been watching on the boards, there haven't been any codes really allowed for my week. (I guess I can thank Pop Warner for that).

Anyways, right now I have my first 3 nights booked at POP using the AAA discount. I'm paying a little less than $100 a night, and the first night has already been paid for so my balance due is about $185. The next 4 nights are booked at WL, again using the AAA discount and have already paid for the first night so I owe around $700. Total still due - $885. Minus what I have put aside on a Disney Gift Card to pay for the rooms, I still owe about $750. I figured it out and all I need to do is put away $26 a week and I'll be fine.

Still….

If I changed my reservation to a week at POP though I'd owe only $325. Half. That's very tempting. Very, very tempting. :scratchin Still, I want some relaxation on this trip, and I'm not convinced that I'll find that at POP. That's probably the biggest factor holding me back. I definitely want to enjoy some down time this trip. I've never actually been to POP, but my impressions of it are that it's a bit "busier". :hyper:It doesn't seem relaxing. Anyone who's stayed there, please let me know what you think.

The other option I've been tossing around, and truthfully I've been toying with this since the day I made the reservations last September, is changing the entire week over to POFQ. I think I may have expressed my love of POFQ before :cloud9:. I haven't even stayed anywhere else yet, and I'm missing it already. With the AAA discount, minus what I've already paid, I would owe about $400. I'd save some money, plus I'd have the benefit of not having to switch resorts mid-week. I definitely find POFQ relaxing. There are lots of nice places to take a walk, or just sit and relax by the river. There is also a hot tub, and boat service to DTD. :boat:

The difference between a week at POP and POFQ is fairly negligable so I'm leaning more towards POFQ if I am to change. I just haven't been able to talk myself out of that balcony just yet. Something is making me cling to that. Also a lot of the non-park things that I want to do are around the MK resorts so being at WL just makes more sense. I'd like to save some $$, but my reservations as is are not going to kill me. All my other essentials for this trip - transportation and food are already paid/saved for. I'd only have to worry about tours, souveniers, and other extra but non-essential things like that.

Decisions, decisions! I'm not going to rush into anything. Especially as I have no intention of tossing away a prime standard view WL ressie for December. :thumbsup2

Jackie, are you spreading it around again??? ;)

Okay, here's my take on it.

Pop for the whole trip? Absolutely not. I don't care how much you'll save, trust me. You want to stay in another resort during the holiday season. You're getting a little taste of it in the beginning, and it can be fun, but Pop has a flavor to it, a vibe to it, a life to it, and that flavor does not say solo traveler.

It says TK and her whole entire family and lots of other families with little kids. Again, my two cents. ;)

I love POFQ. But if I'm between POFQ and Pop, and I'm going with my family, I'd pick Pop, because I think the food court is far superior. Now, let's pretend I was going alone. I'd probably consider a stay at POFQ, because for myself personally, I'd like the quietness of it, that it's the smallest mod, the beignets (you can't go wrong with those), the beautiful pathways, and the boat to Downtown. In my mind, that's a winner situation for a solo gal.

But the Wilderness Lodge.

Oh, my, my, my.

Honestly, hon? It's my new favorite resort. Well, that I can afford anyway. My all time favorite is the Grand Flo, but that's not happening for me! :lmao: I've also heard that the Wilderness Lodge is GORGEOUS decorated for the holidays. Quite frankly, I think you deserve the deluxe experience. I know it's more money, and as a budget conscious person, it kills me to say this, but given the choice, if I had the funds, I would pick the Wilderness Lodge over the other two, hands down. So many reasons. Turn down service, big rooms, double sinks, interior corridors, quiet, peace, and that homey feel. I love it there. It speaks to me. ;)

Now, my dear. What does your heart say?

I would suggest keeping your reservation - don't give up on codes yet. If you look at mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#codetrends), the general codes (not the pins) came out in August last year for your time of travel. And there were codes for all of December until the 23rd.

Also, I really think having a private balcony is a huge advantage for a solo trip. I personally feel much more comfortable on my balcony than in public areas. At least I love having a choice!

I know when it comes to Disney, spending money on a trip in your financial comfort zone is very important. That's why I am staying at a Value this trip. You do what you gotta do.

Now here is my take. I loved WL, I truly did and seeing it decorated for Christmas just sounds like a little piece of Disney Heaven. On the other hand, I have a question for you. Seeing that you are going solo, would you prefer to be at a resort that you know...?? I didn't know if that would be a factor for you or not. I also like the idea of you not resort hopping, I did it and it was easy but it does break up your trip. For instance, I never really unpacked my suitcases at the resorts I stayed at because it didn't feel "worth" it. If you are going for primo relaxation then maybe POFQ is the one for you. You know you love it there and saving money is always good.

I guess, I haven't really helped here. :laughing:

Pop for the whole trip? Absolutely not. I don't care how much you'll save, trust me. You want to stay in another resort during the holiday season. You're getting a little taste of it in the beginning, and it can be fun, but Pop has a flavor to it, a vibe to it, a life to it, and that flavor does not say solo traveler.

It says TK and her whole entire family and lots of other families with little kids. Again, my two cents. ;)

That was a bit of my concern. :)

I love POFQ. But if I'm between POFQ and Pop, and I'm going with my family, I'd pick Pop, because I think the food court is far superior. Now, let's pretend I was going alone. I'd probably consider a stay at POFQ, because for myself personally, I'd like the quietness of it, that it's the smallest mod, the beignets (you can't go wrong with those), the beautiful pathways, and the boat to Downtown. In my mind, that's a winner situation for a solo gal.

All of which are things I adore about POFQ. It's really my Disney home away from home.

I've also heard that the Wilderness Lodge is GORGEOUS decorated for the holidays. Quite frankly, I think you deserve the deluxe experience. I know it's more money, and as a budget conscious person, it kills me to say this, but given the choice, if I had the funds, I would pick the Wilderness Lodge over the other two, hands down. So many reasons. Turn down service, big rooms, double sinks, interior corridors, quiet, peace, and that homey feel. I love it there. It speaks to me. ;)

It sounds so lovely. I keep coming back to wanting to spoil myself a bit, and WL is about as much as the budget will let me spoil myself. :lmao: The interior corridors appeal to me too since I'm traveling alone. I hadn't really thought of that. I overall feel safe at Disney, but that is an added touch.

Now, my dear. What does your heart say?

Unfortunately I think it's still saying Boardwalk. :rotfl:

I think though that it's saying WL. I keep thinking that a little pampering is in order. I just need to figure out how much.

I would suggest keeping your reservation - don't give up on codes yet. If you look at mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com/historicalwdwdiscounts.html#codetrends), the general codes (not the pins) came out in August last year for your time of travel. And there were codes for all of December until the 23rd.

Also, I really think having a private balcony is a huge advantage for a solo trip. I personally feel much more comfortable on my balcony than in public areas. At least I love having a choice!

Thanks for the tip on the codes. I'll have to keep an eye out on them.

I really do love the idea of a balcony. The ability to open up the door and get a bit of fresh air is wonderful.

Apparently, I am still contagious! :lmao:

Very contagious! You make it sound so tempting to change!

Now, seriously...if only they made a medecine to fix it.

Multiple trips to Disney? :lmao:

Multiple trips to Disney will cure just about anything.

Now here is my take. I loved WL, I truly did and seeing it decorated for Christmas just sounds like a little piece of Disney Heaven. On the other hand, I have a question for you. Seeing that you are going solo, would you prefer to be at a resort that you know...?? I didn't know if that would be a factor for you or not. I also like the idea of you not resort hopping, I did it and it was easy but it does break up your trip. For instance, I never really unpacked my suitcases at the resorts I stayed at because it didn't feel "worth" it. If you are going for primo relaxation then maybe POFQ is the one for you. You know you love it there and saving money is always good.

I guess, I haven't really helped here. :laughing:

No, it's a help. I always appreciate new things to take into consideration.

I defintly feel at home at POFQ, but I'm not opposed to trying something new. Actually when I travel with my family that's when they won't let me try something new. I'm not overly worried about hopping, although not hopping would be optimal. I'm thinking though that WL would offer enough perks to offset it.

Just finished reading all 4 pages and I have to say that I wish I could go on a solo trip. Especially after tonight my dh and dd just would not stop talking and all I wanted was some peace and quiet.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Disney through solo eyes. My only concern is that a week alone is going to be a bit long. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but we will have to see.

Ok I'm going to chime in here. I have stayed at both POP and POFQ and I have visited every deluxe hotel (non-DVC). You need to keep you WL ressie. In fact I would encourage you to spend the whole week there if you get a good discount code. I think for hanging out at the resort and relaxing, people watching etc. you need to be at a deluxe resort with their little sitting areas and lounges inside and chairs on the beach outside. At POP I think you will just retreat to your room or spend more time away from the resort because there is really no public space to sit and relax. Yes the lake is nice to look at but it's really removed from the rest of the resort. POFQ is a little better in that regard but you've been there, done that with family. Staying on the Seven Seas Lagoon will encourage you to explore.

Ok I'm going to chime in here. I have stayed at both POP and POFQ and I have visited every deluxe hotel (non-DVC). You need to keep you WL ressie. In fact I would encourage you to spend the whole week there if you get a good discount code. I think for hanging out at the resort and relaxing, people watching etc. you need to be at a deluxe resort with their little sitting areas and lounges inside and chairs on the beach outside. At POP I think you will just retreat to your room or spend more time away from the resort because there is really no public space to sit and relax. Yes the lake is nice to look at but it's really removed from the rest of the resort. POFQ is a little better in that regard but you've been there, done that with family. Staying on the Seven Seas Lagoon will encourage you to explore.

This is why I love the Disboards so much. I hadn't even thought about being able to curl up in a spot in the lobby to relax and people watch. I'm really leaning towards WL overall, although POFQ is still tugging at me a bit. But your right. I've been there and done it already, and this trip is supposed to be about trying out new things and exploring.

Other than battling resortitis, my plans for my trip have been going along fairly smoothly. There is a lot to be said for lots of advance planning. At not quite 6 months out, I've taken care of two of my top (and most important) expenses, and have a budget for the remaining one.

1) Accomodations - Budget in hand, although if needed I have the money in my savings account to pay in full right now. I don't want to have to use that though. Money to be continued to put on my Disney Gift Card. Minimum $26 a week.
2) Airfaire - Booked and paid for. :cool1:

That left food expenses and that is done too. Last October I started my first Disney gift card to cover my food expenses for the week. Every week I'd walk up to World of Disney NYC on my lunch hour and put some money on the card. The same thing I'm doing now for my rooms. It's a bit more time consuming, but for me it's working a bit better than just sticking the funds in the bank. Since the money is now on a gift card, I can't be tempted to run out and spend it on whatever tempting item I have an urge to buy. (Of course it doesn't take into account how tempting it is to spend it at the Disney store).

I have $500 put away on the card earmarked for food. It sounds like a lot doesn't it? Scarily enough it's really not. :scared1:I took some time and made out a really basic eating plan. Listed the places I'd like theortically eat and what I'd be most likely to eat there and came up with some basic numbers. It was a lot and it didn't even include eating table service every day. Eating in Disney is a bit expensive. I think the food plan has numbed me to that fact a bit. Even when I paid for the food plan, once I was in Disney it was easy to ignore the numbers on the bills.

That being said, I defintely over-estimated. I don't want to be worried about having enough money to get me through the week, and I'd like to be able to enjoy a drink or two while wandering around World Showcase.
oregonian_winesmiley.gif
I just feel a bit safer having some extra money on the card. My thinking is that anything left over can be used for either souveniers, or towards my next trip. (That trip to the princess 1/2 marathon in 2011 isn't going to just pay for itself, right?)

So now that airfare, food, and accomodations are either paid for, or in allotted for what's next?:confused3

I think a few plans for the planless trip are in order. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter