Linking Previously Used Magic Bands

MissMagnolia

DIS Veteran
Hi All! We have booked our January trip to WDW and I see our previous Magic bands are still linked to each of us. I see that Disney will not be issuing Magic Bands after 2020, but we can use old ones I believe. How do we link the new reservation to our old bands?

I think they are just so much easier in the parks.

And it's not that they won't be issuing them after 2020, they won't be issuing FREE ones after 2020. The plain colors are $5, the others are the usual $15, $20, etc.

And you can keep using those old MagicBands until the internal batteries finally die. Not aware of anyway to replace them once that happens though, and others have reported as the batteries get weaker MagicBands may not work for ride photos as the signal is not strong enough to be picked up.

And you can keep using those old MagicBands until the internal batteries finally die. Not aware of anyway to replace them once that happens though, and others have reported as the batteries get weaker MagicBands may not work for ride photos as the signal is not strong enough to be picked up.

This is insufficiently correct.

Old bands will last indefinitely for all functions where you touch the band to a Mickey Head. So park entry, FP, room key, purchases, ADRs, etc. The only things that use the battery-powered chip are ride photos that don't have a touch point, and the "special experiences" you get on IASW and done other rides.

Unless damaged, or Disney changes the technology, any magic band will work virtually forever.

Steve

This is insufficiently correct.

Old bands will last indefinitely for all functions where you touch the band to a Mickey Head. So park entry, FP, room key, purchases, ADRs, etc. The only things that use the battery-powered chip are ride photos that don't have a touch point, and the "special experiences" you get on IASW and done other rides.

Unless damaged, or Disney changes the technology, any magic band will work virtually forever.

Steve

Did not know they lived forever like that. Interesting.

Did not know they lived forever like that. Interesting.

There are 2 RFID chips in each band. One is passive, one is active. The active chip has a battery that is rated to last 3 years, on average. It's this chip that is used for wireless ride photos and special experiences. The passive chip is used for any function that requires you to touch the band to a Mickey Head. That chip is actually powered by the contact with the other device - just like the chip on your credit card.

Steve

There are 2 RFID chips in each band. One is passive, one is active. The active chip has a battery that is rated to last 3 years, on average. It's this chip that is used for wireless ride photos and special experiences. The passive chip is used for any function that requires you to touch the band to a Mickey Head. That chip is actually powered by the contact with the other device - just like the chip on your credit card.

Steve
Interesting - so for the special ride effects photos will they be requiring the purchase of Magic Bands or will the new technology they are rolling out with smart phones and My Disney Experience be able to replace that function that may stop working on the bands?

Interesting - so for the special ride effects photos will they be requiring the purchase of Magic Bands or will the new technology they are rolling out with smart phones and My Disney Experience be able to replace that function that may stop working on the bands?

We don't know yet. As of now, phones/MDE app doesn't work for rides that automatically pick up your band, ie 7 Dwarves Mine Train.

If you deactivate a MB on MDE, can you re-activate or is it gone for good?

If you deactivate a MB on MDE, can you re-activate or is it gone for good?
If it’s just deactivated you can reactivate it at any time. If it’s deleted from your account completely by a CM, then it’s gone forever.

To add on to what Fangorn said, you can also swap pucks out as a way to replace the battery. For example, if an LE band has a red puck, you can buy a cheap plain red band and swap the pucks out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter