Lily James Cinderella's digital wasp waist :(

ScrapYap

DIS Veteran
Live action Cinderella actress Lily James has a very slim waist. But particularly in the scene in which she enters the ballroom, there is no possible doubt that digital magic has given her the proportions of an Anna or Elsa - which means about a physically-impossible (with all the waist shapers or corsets in the world) waist of about 12 inches around. Truly the shape of a wasp - not a girl.

Even on Anna and Elsa it's a little troubling when you consider that this unhealthy, un-human shape is viewed as an ideal by all the millions of little girls who watch and re-watch that film. Seeing it on a live-action Cinderella is disturbing.

There's a scene in the film in which Cinderella is urged repeatedly to make her step-sister's corset tighter and yet tighter. Ironically, no corset could have given Lily James that waist. Only digital magic. Disney should leave all the magic to Helen Bonham Carter's Jack-Sparrow-esque Fairy Godmother.

You are incorrect. There was no digital alteration. This was confirmed by everyone working on the film. It is a combination of Lily's naturally small waist, the proper use of a corset (or improper depending on your view), and the optical illusion created when the dress spreads out drastically right below the corset. Plus if you look at it carefully it is not at all a physically impossible shape given how and where a corset works.

Corsets were typical wear in the past as were these types of dresses exactly for the purpose of giving this illusion. Also, the dress was an iconic part of Cinderella. I think we can understand the difference between fantasy wear and everyday clothes. It is possible the scene of the sister's corsets may have been added just to show how this was done in the "olden days" and how unpleasant it was.

I also agree with those saying we shouldn't body shame thin girls like Lily James, either. I have seen some young women that are just tiny waisted. That isn't wrong. It shouldn't be made the ideal for everyone. ALL shapes are relevant.

As far as Frozen and other animated features go, it isn't a matter of making girls think this is the only acceptable shape, it is a matter of drawing a caricature. A caricature is an unrealistically proportioned drawing that intentionally exaggerates certain features for a purpose. Men are made with huge necks, shoulders, and muscles while women are given small waists and necks all to exaggerate and make it easy to identify the feminine and masculine. The large eyes also are used for this purpose and to allow for clearer communication of expressions.

If you look at still shots from the film and compare the size of her waist to the breadth of her shoulders, it appears clear that Lily James has been CGI-ed. No normal grown woman has a 12 inch waist. James does have a slim waist which was accentuated with a corset. And Lily James herself (and cast members) may not realize what was done by the CGI folk. (Body image is tricky - you can look at an image of yourself and not see what others see.) It is my opinion (as someone who works with altering images of people) that her waist was tweaked -- totally unnecessarily, since she was already slimmer than most women. I'm not body shaming her when I give my opinion that the waist presented in that film is not one physically possible for a woman to have (unless she has all her internal organs removed!). She is beautiful as she is.

I only found it mildly objectionable in animated form. In live action, it's inexcusable. As with every statement made by anyone, that's my opinion. Each of us is, of course, entitled to her own.

It is unnatural and it is unhealthy image for girls. Not even a starving woman has that size of a waist.

It is unnatural and it is unhealthy image for girls. Not even a starving woman has that size of a waist.

No one is saying that that's her natural waist. A corset combined with optical illusion (the shape of the dress) make her waist tiny. It can be unnatural and not CGI at the same time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter