• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lighted Ice Cubes

lynn71092

DIS Veteran
Last week on the Travel Channel (I think) they had something about ice cubes that if you tapped them they would light up and if you tapped them again they would turn off. Was I dreaming or is that somethiong at one of the restaurants or something you can buy for home? Also, are they Mickey shaped?:wave:

They were in the drinks my kids had at the Sc-Fi at MGM. I though they were junk. Not worth the money in my opinion.

OK, I'm confused.
It came in their drink?
Do they melt or are they made out of plastic and you can re-freeze them?:confused:

Several WDW restaurants carry "glow cubes". The Sci-Fi does, and Le Cellier does as well (in their Northern Lights drink). They are not Mickey-shaped, but are cube-shaped. You do tap them to turn them on/off. They are plastic and can be reused. Our DS's is still in our freezer from our January trip, and he will pull them out once and awhile to use in drinks at home. They do add quite a bit to the price of a simple drink, and probably aren't worth the money, as POOH&PIGLET stated, but kids love them and will likely beg for them if they see other kids with them in their drinks.

My 10 yr old DS loved his.......Just be sure to get it in a sprite or other light colored drink........I don't think you can see them too well in coke/pepsi.

It still works too and we got it in July........

They are a lot of fun. They also come in "adult drinks too". We got then at 50's Prime Time and Hollywood and Vine. I know that Sci-Fi and Le Cellier also has them. The roaming vendors at Fantasmic had some in Lemonaide one night.

You tap on side to turn on and one side to turn off.

They have them at Liberty Tree and also Coral Reef. They are $3 additional (the waiter did NOT inform us of an additional charge--just asked my 3 year old son if he would like a glowing ice cube in his milk :rolleyes: ) Would have been nice if he asked me if I wanted to pay for it! :eek:

They are fun for the kids though--it kept my son occupied for a while.

Sue Ellen

They also sell them in 4 packs at Target by all the kitchen stuff. Can't remember how much we paid though - definitely cheaper than $3 each. Maybe $8 or 9 for the 4 pack?

Carrie

I keep looking all over Target for these ice cubes but have not been able to find them as yet. Could someone give me a bit more info than "near the kitchen" stuff for where they might be hiding. I would love to get a set for Christmas Eve. Would be fun for my grands I am thinking.

Thanks, SG/Linda

Just a note - these are really fun to take in the pool. Not sure if you can in Disney hotels, but kids were having a blast with them in the Hard Rock pool at night. They do look really cool in the water at night, and the kids have fun tossing them and then diving down to retrieve them.

In Target I found the glowing cubes by where they keep the kitchen utensils.
They were hanging on the wall. Hope you can find them!::yes::

salbythec, I looked there as well as in the glass and ice cube sections. Maybe they just do not have them. Might try the Indpls area where they have more stuff. Thank you for the response.

SG/Linda

Our kids got them in chocolate milk($5.99 each) at Hollywood & Vine last week. We brought 'em home with us too. Can also get them in drinks at the bar outside of Chef Mickey's.

My kids loved the lighted ice cubes. The funniest thing is when we went back to the hotel I left the cups on the sink outside the bathroom and we used the ice cubes as a night light. They may be junk but my kids really look forward to them.

Originally posted by SlightlyGoofy
I keep looking all over Target for these ice cubes but have not been able to find them as yet. Could someone give me a bit more info than "near the kitchen" stuff for where they might be hiding. I would love to get a set for Christmas Eve. Would be fun for my grands I am thinking.

Thanks, SG/Linda

In our Target they're hanging on the wall with all the utensils. They sell out quite often though - so if you don't see them there, they could be sold out. I had to get some for my cousin's kids and it was a month or two before I actually was able to grab some. They sell quick.

Carrie

MyGoofy26, I cannot find a shelf tag either. Maybe the holidays will bring them out of hiding. Thinking of checking out a party store also or even a liquor store. We celebrate Christmas Eve and my grands would enjoy the extra lights.

Thank you for the info and sure glad that you were able to glom onto some.

Sure are a lot of us "Goofy" people on these boards. The more the merrier IMHO. LOL

SG/Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter