Let's Stay, Play, Dine, and Shop! An Aulani TR June 3 - 12, 2014 update 7/7

mathed101

Mouseketeer
Aloha! My DH and I just returned from a magical whirlwind of a birthday trip to Aulani. Although I am a long time lurker and have never written a trip report before, I feel compelled to help others as I have been helped. I don’t know what kind of adventure I would have had without reading, and rereading, the wonderfully written trip reports from the past couple of years or all the helpful tips and answered questions. :disrocks:

Speaking of incredible writers, I really must take a moment to pay homage :worship: to a few that I really enjoyed the writing styles of: podsnel, eandesmom, Captain_Oblivious, and saintstickets. Mahalo to you and to so many others who posted Aulani information that I drooled over, copied and pasted into 3 word files. :thanks:

Please don’t get your hopes up for me to be as witty or unique or charming or even as detailed as those guys! My report will be a bit better written than “Just the facts Ma’am” but nowhere near as happening as a Scotty or Gidget trip! I just hope to be a little bit helpful to others like me that need all the information that they can get their hands on to plan, plan and plan some more.

Here’s my background story. A big year birthday (hint: part of the name of a Hawaii based cop show) is coming my way and I really wanted to do something fabulous and something I haven’t done before. Long story short, frequent flyer miles and DVC membership made Aulani shoot to the top of the list, knocking off Costa Rica and Europe (and a whole lotta money that we didn’t have to spend).

My mantra for our first trip to Hawaii was Let’s Stay, Let’s Play, Let’s Dine, and Let’s Shop (til we drop)! And we did!

Let me introduce you to my itinerary for June 3rd to 12th as the beginning of this humble little report! Each part of my mantra will make up the rest plus a bunch of pictures. (Anybody know where the instructions are on how to post pictures? :o)

Tuesday
HNL Arrival at 235 pm
Lotus Hotel
Waikiki Beach
Hula Grill
Tropical Collection
ABC Stores

Wednesday
Liliha Bakery
Diamond Head Hike
Blow hole
Beach
Makapu’u Trail Hike
Teddy’s Bigger Burgers
Swim at Waikiki Beach
Arrive Aulani
Costco
Monkeypod

Thursday
Dolphin Snorkel, SUP & Kayak Tour
Aloha Salads
Adult Pool
Shave Ice
Grilling at Aulani
Ulu Cafe

Friday
Snorkel at Aulani
Infinity Hot Tub
Lazy River
Bishop Museum
Liliha Bakery
King Kamehameha Statue
Islands Grill at Ala Moana Mall
Sunset Sail

Saturday
Pearl Harbor
Nico’s Pier 38
‘Iolani Palace
Costco
Grilling at Aulani

Sunday
Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace
Leonard’s Bakery
Aloha Stadium Swap Meet
Luibueno’s in Haleiwa
Malama Market
Swimming in the Lagoon
Grilling at Aulani
Ulu Cafe

Monday
Hawaiian Fire Surf School
Infinity Hot Tub
Grilling at Aulani
‘Ama ‘Ama
Kalepa’s Store at Aulani

Tuesday
North Shore
Snorkeling at Turtle Bay
Uncle Bobo’s BBQ
Mac Nut Farm
Kailua Beach
Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop
Christmas Shop
Costco
Safeway
Grilling at Aulani

Wednesday
Laniwai Spa
Salad Lunch
Mickey Bar
Lava Shack
Adult Pool
‘Olelo Room
Grilling at Aulani

Thursday
Tour of Grand Villa
Packed up
Nico’s Pier 38
Hilo Hattie’s
Liliha Bakery
Hawaiian Fire Store
Adult Pool
Check-out Lounge
Island Market
Monkeypod
HNL Departure at 904 pm

Whew! :goodvibes

I'm in. We stayed at the J.W. Marriot next door but never at Aulani. I have lots to learn. Mahalo!

I'm in. We stayed at the J.W. Marriot next door but never at Aulani. I have lots to learn. Mahalo!

Hi SusieBea!
Thanks so much for stopping by! :goodvibes
Are you going to go back to the JW or are you going to stay at Aulani on your next trip?

Pre-Trip Stuff!

I don't know about you but before I go anywhere I need to print off my packing list!
Excel is one of my favorite places to create a list but unfortunately the table type listing doesn't translate to here so my list is just another list. :sad1:

The bold items are the things that were particularly helpful to bring to Aulani and are not on our usual WDW trip list.

Packing List
boarding passes/drink coupons
sunscreen/solarcain/lip balm
bug spray
blue organizer/itinerary
wine opener/Swiss army knife/paring knife
aluminum foil
cash/credit cards/DVC card/wallets
hand sanitizer/kleenex pouches
cell phones/charger/car chargers
plastic: plates/bowls/silverware/wine glasses
laptop/head phones/headset adaptor
seeds/nuts/Gum
Oahu revealed/fish book
white kitchen trash bags/target bags
Ziploc bags all sizes
fanny packs/polynesian duffle bag
night light/small flashlight
dvds/cds/books
collapsible cooler
postcard stamps
laundry detergent tabs/dryer sheets
digital camera/batteries
antenna topper for rental car
camcorder/batteries/charger/usb for pics
waterproof phone bags
house key
snorkels, masks, fins,swim goggles
sunglasses/reading glasses
snorkel bags, sealion bag
symbicort/albuterol/zyrtec/benadryl
rain ponchos/hats
meds
shoes: gym/old/beach/water
shampoo/conditioner
sandals/ dress/flat
comb/brush/hair scrunchies
disney night shirts/gown
spray bottle
swimsuits/coverups/rash guards
ibuprofen/tylenol/naproxen
underwear/socks/bras
tums/rolaids
shorts/capris
toothbrushes/toothpastes
shirts: tanks/dress/hawaiian/tees
dove/dial/hand soaps
loungewear
deodorant/air freshener spray
jewelry
q-tips/flossers
moleskin/blister bandages
makeup/BB cream/mosturizers
band aids/neosporin
razors/shaving cream
sewing kit w/safety pins
lubriderm lotion/lotion
nail clippers/file/tweezers

Let’s Go to Hawaii!

In order to Stay, Play, Dine and Shop we had to get from Orlando to Honolulu. Here’s where our back story influences our choices so to speak….

My DH has to do a lot of travelling for his job which includes getting to the project and staying on site.
He is allowed to fly home every other weekend if home is not within driving distance of the project’s location. :headache:

For the past 5 years home has been pretty far away from each of the jobsites so his Delta Skymiles have been piling up.
DH also has to rent a car from National for his work so his status on the Emerald Aisle is at the highest level too (can't remember but I think it is Executive Elite or something).
The Skymiles were a huge godsend for us and it was the only way that we could really take this Hawaii Adventure that was 5 decades in the making! :woohoo:

My DH is a thoughtful and kind guy.:lovestruc When he booked the award flights there wasn’t enough miles for us to go first class both ways so he decided that
I should go first class and that he could be a few rows behind me in economy plus.
Well this trip is truly for both of us even though it is in honor of my birthday. I didn’t think that it would be very fun or fair in that seating arrangement,
so I suggested that he check if we could both go first class on the way there and economy plus on the way back.
Yes we could. Score! :cloud9:

This would be a great way to begin our voyage - all 11 hours of flight time!!!
After all, we hadn’t been anywhere sans children in 8 years (October 2006).

In between that time and now a lot has happened as life usually does.
On our journey to this point we've had some pretty wonderful times in our life but these previous 8 long years has had more downs than ups.
Most people have had similar losses especially with the state of the union but some losses aren't caused by the government. :rolleyes2
I feel like our downslide started as soon as our last couples only expedition ended. Mom was in the midst of spending her last 15 months of her life on this earth fighting for her life. :sad:
She died on a Tuesday (March 2007) was buried on Saturday and the packers showed up to move our family across the country from the Midwest to the West on the following Monday.
Only 18 months later (August 2008) DH was laid off the “dream” job that we uprooted our family for and unemployed for the first time ever -
it lasted a whole year (2009). :worried:
DH gets a new job (yay!) but it is too little too late (50% of the pay he earned prior to the lay off and he is gone all the time).
We end up losing our home and all of our savings, retirement funds etc… trying to keep the home and feed our family during the unemployment and after.
Our daughter was diagnosed with Lupus and JIA :faint: (2010) but thank God the Lupus ultimately was caused by a medication she was taking
so she only has the arthritis to deal with now (we joke with her that we always thought she was special as only 1 in 100,000 kids get JIA).
Finally, we had to sell off what we could to pay for another move across the country but this time to the Southeast (2011) to be closer to my sister and DH had a 1 year project in Miami (bonus!).
Now we have seen the light and are out of the tunnel (2014), just in time for a mid-life-I-can’t-believe-I’m-turning-50-crisis! :scared1:
As if all the preamble to turning 50 wasn’t crisis enough!

:jester: Just kidding about the midlife crisis though.

I am truly just so incredibly grateful to God to get to this point in my life, live in Florida,
feel so young and capable of doing anything (like surfing in Hawaii and teaching math to middle schoolers :teacher:),
and very blessed to be able to get past the last 8 years with as much grace as the Lord could bestow upon me! :)

:beach: It is definitely time for a VACATION!!!

Joining! I've read a couple of Aulani reports in the past, but since we recently joined DVC a trip here may actually be in my future now. Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Loving your trip report so far! I am so sorry to hear about the sad events/challenges of recent years, but am happy for you that you feel so blessed today and were able to treat yourself to this special trip to celebrate your birthday.

I enjoyed seeing your detailed itinerary right up front. Looks like you did so many exciting things. I am excited to hear all about them as I follow along! popcorn::

This link should take you to the DIS tutorials on how to post photos: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/video-tutorials/

I needed to use it to learn just recently and it was very helpful and easy.

Hi SusieBea!
Thanks so much for stopping by! :goodvibes
Are you going to go back to the JW or are you going to stay at Aulani on your next trip?

Bless your heart! You've had more than your share to deal with.

We have no immediate plans to return to Hawaii. We've been 4 times, twice to the Big Island, once to Maui, and once to Oahu. All were business related. Oahu is not my favorite of the islands we've visited, but, if we were to return, I would certainly want to stay at Aulani. Those cove areas are very nice, and the grounds at Aulani look fabulous!

Joining! I've read a couple of Aulani reports in the past, but since we recently joined DVC a trip here may actually be in my future now. Can't wait to read all about your trip!

Hi Misty! Thanks for reading! We joined DVC 10 years ago and just love it so Welcome Home! I hope you do get a chance to visit Aulani as it is a very special place. :)

Loving your trip report so far! I am so sorry to hear about the sad events/challenges of recent years, but am happy for you that you feel so blessed today and were able to treat yourself to this special trip to celebrate your birthday.

I enjoyed seeing your detailed itinerary right up front. Looks like you did so many exciting things. I am excited to hear all about them as I follow along! popcorn::

Hi Karin! Thanks for following along and your kind words! :flower3: I see that you just returned from Aulani too. When I get some time I will try to read your report. I am sure that we experienced a lot of the same fun as you did. Thank you for the link for the pics. I am in the process of getting my pictures uploaded so I can write the next part of my saga.

Bless your heart! You've had more than your share to deal with.

We have no immediate plans to return to Hawaii. We've been 4 times, twice to the Big Island, once to Maui, and once to Oahu. All were business related. Oahu is not my favorite of the islands we've visited, but, if we were to return, I would certainly want to stay at Aulani. Those cove areas are very nice, and the grounds at Aulani look fabulous!

Wow! 4 times! If I ever get to go back I would like to go to the Big Island, Maui too and of course Oahu for Aulani. Thank you for the blessing too! :flower3:

As I mentioned, we flew on Delta out of Orlando with a 2 hour layover in Salt Lake City. All I can say about the 11 hours of flight time is that when we were on the layover my DH was on the phone to the Delta Rep seeing how many miles it would take to upgrade both of us to first class on the return trip!! :thumbsup2

Here are a few pictures taken with my phone from the window of the plane. We were super excited to be landing for our first trip to Hawaii. :yay:

We arrived at the Honolulu Airport around 230 pm on Tuesday. It was a beautiful day and even though we left our home at 5 am EST and now it was 830 pm EST, we were ready to go to the beach! Waikiki Beach to be exact! :woohoo:

The following pictures are from our arrival at the Honolulu airport. We had absolutely no problems finding baggage claim, getting our bags, and heading out to find the National Car Rental Shuttle. :cool1:

Tip: when you head outside you cross the inside lane to get to the outside lane and there you will need to flag down your car rental company's shuttle bus. There are no particular stops for each company so you just stand there until you see yours coming down the lane and wave to them to stop, and they will! Phones to the companies are on the pillars in case you need to call them.

On our way to baggage claim...

Colorful sign...

It was just a quick few minutes to National desk and about 10 more to get this baby....:drive:

On our way out we saw some construction and thought their signage was very appropriate!

And we are on our way to Waikiki Beach. :beach:

Maps and Directions:
My research indicated that we should carry printed directions from mapquest or the like to make sure we could get from point A to point B without too much hassle. So I printed out a bunch of stuff which was very helpful. The National desk girl gave us a nice booklet that contained detailed maps of every area on Oahu which we also used. In addition, Oahu Revealed had excellent maps too. And the best thing that my DH did unbeknownst to me and at the last minute, literally as we were getting into the car to leave our home, was to grab his Garmin out of his work truck. I am so glad he did! We used this device, which I had never even seen before, and it worked beautifully! :goodvibes Make sure that you bring the piece that attaches it to the window. My DH didn't get that and we had so much fun keeping that thing from sliding on the dash or launching itself at us!! :rolleyes:

I hope you will tune in for the next installment: Let's Stay! highlighting the Lotus Hotel in Waikiki Beach and Aulani.

Great start! Glad to hear your flight went well. That is the part that scares me the most when traveling with kids. :) Love the Jeep!

Great report so far. I love reading the beginning of trips because I get that excited feeling like I am the one actually starting my vacation. :rotfl: I love reading about Aulani because who knows when I will get there. It is on my list for sure. Can't wait to read more!

Great start! Glad to hear your flight went well. That is the part that scares me the most when traveling with kids. :) Love the Jeep!

That long of a flight and kids scares me too! My kids always put the length of flights in DVD movie time...such as a 4 hour flight was 2 movies - no big deal Mom they would say!! ;)

We did well with the Jeep! DH's National status helped us get that for a song and it was fun to take the top off to see the sights.

Great report so far. I love reading the beginning of trips because I get that excited feeling like I am the one actually starting my vacation. :rotfl: I love reading about Aulani because who knows when I will get there. It is on my list for sure. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks for joining Heather! I snuck a peak at your pre-trip report and I can't wait to read more. I am finding it hard to get it all in each day even though I am not working. Well, not working at school anyway! My summer job is a full-time cook and personal valet :laundy: to my 3 kids plus a lifeguard.

Not that I would have it any other way though!! I love summer!!! :yay::yay:

A few more shots of Waikiki.

This is a view of Diamond Head from the street. I have much better pictures to come but I was so excited to see part of this extinct volcanoe from the car for the first time.

One of the main intersections to the beach and the Zoo is right there!

Surfing lessons if you need them...

Cool way to create some shade.

Beautiful park area all along the ocean.

We loved walking from our hotel to the downtown area for dinner.

Lots of different types of trees in Hawaii.

People were jumping off the top!

Statues relating to surfing.

It's hard enough to ride a bike but with a surf board!!

There are many homeless camping out in the park. :sad1: This guy at least had some other shelter and a place, other than a shopping cart, to keep his stuff.

Pay phones with a Hawaiian vibe.

Didn't get a chance to view this up close but it is right on the beach.

One more before I get back to my chores!!

I will have more of Waikiki when I review Hula Grill in my Let's Dine segment. We had a great view of the surfers etc...right from our table. Waikiki has a really neat vibe and was quite crowded for a Tuesday afternoon. We enjoyed some shopping as well as a fabulous dinner at the Hula Grill. More on that later. :goodvibes

Great start! It looks like were checking into Aulani as you were checking out. We had a great time :goodvibes

Let's Stay!

Originally when I was planning this trip we were going to stay at Aulani the whole time from June 3 - 12. After many reviews and people saying that we should visit more than one island I really wanted to go to the Big Island for the first few days. I did quite a bit of research on that but we just didn't have the funds to do all the activities and stay on 2 islands. :( Next time! ;)

I decided that we were going to make the most of Oahu and all it had to offer. After my itinerary took shape I noticed that the front side of the trip really centered on the Winward side of the island and the rest of the trip was more on the Leeward side. I think this happened because there were many Aulani visitors that spoke of "Island Time" taking over after 4 or so days. With this in mind, it seemed to make sense to stay in Waikiki for a night so that we could take advantage of our east coast time difference to go to breakfast at the Liliha Bakery, hike Diamond Head early, snorkel at Hanauma Bay, sight see up the coast, etc..

Tripadvisor had a great deal on the Lotus Hotel near the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. I have to say that we loved the friendly staff at the Lotus, the room was very spacious and comfortable, the view was excellent, valet parking (in/out) was only $20, short distance to their beach access, and the walk from there to downtown was really easy and pleasant. If I were to stay here longer, I might request a corner room to get a bigger balcony and views of both the beach and Diamond Head. Our room was actually next to the corner room so for one night and the excitement of staying on Waikiki Beach it was well worth it!! :goodvibes

Here are some pictures of our stay at the Lotus.

You drive right up to the doors to the lobby.

Our room was on the 10th floor. Bell service was excellent! When we entered the room there was Hawaiian music playing!

Beautiful views from the balcony.

Back to the room.

Complementary wine from 3 - 5 pm and the ice bucket was filled upon our arrival. We were grateful for the water too since we hadn't been out yet. The valet would give us bottles of water each time he brought up the car for us to go out. :thumbsup2

These are the views of Waikiki from our door.

Close up of where we will be the next morning!

Pictures of our Diamond Head Hike to come in the Let's Play segment.

Next up Aulani...a cross between the Beach Club, Poly, and Animal Kingdom Villas. :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter