Legoland Crowds...What to expect.

haydeecm

Mouseketeer
I am going to be visiting Disneyland in a 2.5 weeks, and I am trying to decide when and if I should head down to Legoland. It would be either Saturday, Sunday or Monday (2/20 through 22). I am more concerned about weekend crowds, not sure what to expect. Also, how long should I allot for driving there, I would like to be there as soon as park opens. Is it like Disneyland where you can actually enter the park almost a half hour before posted, or do they open exactly at 10am. Will it be crazy these days?

The 22nd happens to be my sons birthday, was also wondering if there is any kind of birthday celebration down there possible.

I don't know about crowds now, but I went in July last year and even at a peak time it was certainly manageable. I remember being there about 20 min early and I thought the park did open just the front up and I rented a stroller. It was good to get there right at opening to beat the crowds. We also went back to the Adventure section and started there and then worked around the park. Hopefully some locals can shed more light on your questions. :goodvibes

I am definitely not a local and don't have a lot of Legoland expertise, but we did stay last year at the Sheraton attached to Legoland before our Disneyland stay last July. Here's what I can tell you. July is really busy! We were up early and ready to get in at park opening. They do NOT open early and we were guests at the attached resort (we did have a back entrance that was kind of nice to have). We enjoyed light crowds for about 2 hours and then I felt it was quite busy...busier than Disneyland that we visited a few days later. However, my feeling is that Feb would be really light. July is when ALL kids are out of school, etc.

We have DS who, by the way was born 2/21 (!) who was 4 at the time...he LOVED it. He enjoyed Disneyland but probably preferred Legoland to Disneyland. I personally think that in Feb it won't be a big crowd buster, but I am not a local and don't know for sure. I will say that we did manage Legoland during PEAK season (I think late July is one of their busiest times, but I could be wrong). We managed, but do all the really KEY rides within your first 2 hours. Many rides are just not built for crowds either--they just can't handle maximum capacity loads--i.e. the jousting horses--there are only a set amount, maybe 15 horses, and it takes 3 or so minutes to get around the track. You do the math when 60 kids are waiting.

It is also very important to get there at park opening as much can be done those first hour or so. Also, we didn't find the crowds lifting later in the evening. We waited at least an hour for a few of the peak attractions still. However, they have the playground area, building rooms, 3D movies etc. which were a good diversion to crowds. In all, I would say if your DC is a Lego fan--it would be well worth it! We plan to go again this summer...I only wish we were dealing with February crowds!!!

I would allow at least 1:20 to drive there. Good luck!

Thanks I must have dreamed getting in there early! I second getting in right at opening and riding stuff in the morning and doing Miniland, 3Dmovie and playlands in the afternoon. In the summer the water place did get packed in the afternoon and it got a bit unpleasant. Sounds too cold to go to the spash park in Feb.

Thanks. So what are the key attractions are that need to be done first thing in the morning?

Just had to chime in. We will go on the 22nd for our soon to be 5yo's birthday. We live in SD but haven't gone too much just cause our kids are short and Legoland has very stringent ride rules. My sister and my hubby went during winter break and it wasn't crazy like during spring break but busy nonetheless. I am guessing since it will only be open 10-5 that it shouldn't be too busy.

Also not a local, but vacation in Newport Beach nearly every year. We went to Legoland for the first time on July 2nd last year - I had no idea what to expect, and was very impressed. Clean, well-themed, and we even thought the food was good for a park! Our three boys loved it, and we thought the crowds were entirely manageable - even in the summer. One thing we thought was really funny was a sign that said "Parents Wait While Kids Play." I actually took a picture of it - they were serious - parents wait in a line while the kids play in a play area.

I entirely agree with the previous poster who mentioned arriving at park opening - we did so much at the beginning of the day, and then walked around to see other things when it was more crowded. I certainly don't know for sure, but it would seem like crowd conditions would be much better in February.

Have fun!!

I am going to be visiting Disneyland in a 2.5 weeks, and I am trying to decide when and if I should head down to Legoland. It would be either Saturday, Sunday or Monday (2/20 through 22). I am more concerned about weekend crowds, not sure what to expect. Also, how long should I allot for driving there, I would like to be there as soon as park opens. Is it like Disneyland where you can actually enter the park almost a half hour before posted, or do they open exactly at 10am. Will it be crazy these days?

The 22nd happens to be my sons birthday, was also wondering if there is any kind of birthday celebration down there possible.

here's a link to legoland birthday options $$$ and you need 10 or more, but they do offer just a cake for $20.

We were there last Feb (weekday though) and it was not at all busy, but a lot of the rides were closed, and many did not open until 11 or noon (park opened at 10) which was weird and annoying. Hopefully on the weekend everything will be open for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter