• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leave in 2 Weeks. General Questions

herrmannpt

Mouseketeer
We leave in just over 2 weeks. First time to Aulani. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids, ages 11 and 8. Hoping you veterans can help answer some questions!

1) Is there ice available right now? Ice machines working? Or do we need to buy our own at the grocery? Our family uses a lot of ice in our drinks!
2) Are there any beach toys to use? How about life jackets that would fit a tall, skinny 8 year old? My daughter is not a strong swimmer and gets a lot of anxiety unless she has a life jacket. I'm hoping I don't need to pack hers!
3) Any recent experiences with onsite dining with allergies? My 11 yo son has gluten and dairy allergies. We are already booked for the luau, and I'm a little concerned knowing that it is pre-fixed bento boxes. He is picky too and not much of a meat eater. I'm hoping for that price, they will have something to accomodate him. We also have dinner reservations at Makahiki one evening. I'm wondering if it is worth it, especially since he will be charged at the adult price. Any recent input would be much appreciated!
5) Going along with dining, is there much outdoor seating at Makahiki? Can you request an outdoor table? With unvaccinated children, we'd be more comfortable with an outdoor seat.
6) How long does the star gazing last? Is it ok to wait and book when you get there? Is there a way to book in advance? Our whole family is very interested, but coming from the eastern time zone, I'm not sure how late we'll be staying up while at Aulani.

I can speak to # 6 - it usually takes an hour. One time we got 90 minutes to do some rescheduling issues and really enjoying the guy. You had to wait until you were there to sign up. I would go for the day you want as soon as you get there. We do it later in our trip as we are more adjusted to time difference.

Also there is some outdoor seating at the restaurant. You might have to wait for it as it is popular.

For #3, I just called to book the luau and they said that you can ask them to make a notation on your reservation re: your dietary needs. They said the chef may call you a day or two before your reservation if they need clarification on anything.

#5: There's 3 areas of seating, a fully indoor, a covered patio area, and a fully outdoor (with umbrellas) area. I didn't count the tables, but the outdoor area seemed the biggest. You can request to be seated in a certain area, but you may need to be willing to wait to be seated longer than you would have otherwise.

Ice machine are on every floor and are working normal. You can buy beach toys either at the gift shop or any store on the Island, including the Island Country market across the street. They have a variety of life jackets. Call and ask about the luau food. Makahiki is open air, so even if you are inside, the whole wall to the outside is open.

For #2, we saw a couple of folks getting life vests for the kids at the towel pickup station. They had various sizes from what I could tell.

1. Ice machines are running like normal
2. Plenty of lifejackets in all sizes. She can try them on and see which one works best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter