Lazy Boy furniture- good quality?

I'm curious, for the people that had problems with their Lay-Z-Boy furniture, how many of you bought directly from Lay-Z-Boy? I'm just wondering if part of the problem could be the "middle men".

I have two leather lazyboy recliners. They are great. The leather is holding up well and so are the chairs mechanically.

I highly recommend lazy-boy furniture. I have had mine for 19 years and recently the fabric on one cushion is beginning to show wear, not too bad. My love seat and chair still look like new. This is our primary furniture so it is used every day. It has held up extremely well with the kids growing up. We will be replacing the furniture because after 19 years we are just tired of it. However, because it has held up so well I will be able to pass it on to someone and feel good that it is still very useable and will be for many years. That being said I am currently looking to replace it with Lazy Boy. I have looked at other furniture stores and other brands. Many are half the price of Lazy Boy but I find that the quality and workmanship are not as good and may not last as long. Also the fabric that Lazy Boy offers, even the selection that is not top of line is better than some of the other brands. Lazy Boy is also made in the USA. I hope this helps with your furniture decision.

I bought mine from the Lazy Boy store. I had always heard they were a quality product. For $1200 dollars I would have expected it to last more than a year. I do not have the money to fix or replace it so I have to keep it covered with a blanket to keep the stuffing in. They told me lifetime warranty did not cover it.

The legs wobble, the finish was so thin that it has worn off in a few spots. It's just not the quality that I thought they would be.:headache:
Lots of furniture nowadays is made of shelf paper covered particleboard. "A photograph of wood pasted on," someone called it. This is extremely tawdry, if the surface gets scuffed, let alone gouged, the wood grain or other finish can never be restored.

No furnitures stands up to cats' clawing.

Next time you see Voyage of the Little Mermaid (Hollywood Studios), examine the "wooden" floor of the anteroom closely. It's shelf paper covered concrete, with polyurethane or varnish so it doesn't become ratty away that fast.

I'm curious, for the people that had problems with their Lay-Z-Boy furniture, how many of you bought directly from Lay-Z-Boy? I'm just wondering if part of the problem could be the "middle men".

Bought direct from La-z-boy, did their custom fabric with the higher grade and special warantee. Still crap and still no help from them.

We bought direct from Lay-Z-Boy and have had the worst experience with them. The cording that supported the cushions on our couch pulled out, the cushions are flat, the material on it shredded on it's back (and it's totally protected by the walls of our living room...I have no idea how that happens. The recliner we bought NEVER worked properly. They came out for repairs once after spending hours and hours and hours on the phone with customer service. The problem was never fixed (had to do with the swivel being installed inproperly) and they claimed they couldn't do anything else and wouldn't come back out.

We paid $2200 for the couch and the recliner 10 years ago - so certainly not their cheap stuff. We upgraded the fabric at the time, added the swivel to the recliner, and got fabric protection added. It is completely destroyed now, and we are looking at furniture to replace it. I will never purchase their products again.

Right at the Lazy Boy store -- nearly $7,000 worth of complete living room furniture. I have no doubt that Lazy Boy even up to 10 years ago was THE place to get good, long-lasting furniture. Mine I bought in 2007 is just garbage.

I bought mine in 96 was from a middle man but it was still Lazy Boy so I don't think it is any different. Like others our set was near $4000 for the recliner couch and love seat. This was the one where these black wedges started falling out immediately. Our material pulled up kind of like if we had a cat that was clawing it. The cushions going flat was within the first year. Then the one end recliner was crooked within about 2 years. I wish they would have come out to fix it but they told us we had no choice but to ship it to them since we are in the middle of nowhere and that would have cost us $300 for one piece to be sent. Afterward we bought just a couch in leather on sale for $650 so far from the best quality and it has been beautiful for 7 years now. The cushions and leather are going strong and are like brand new but it is not a recliner either.

hmmmm, it seems Lay-Z-Boy has a quality assurance problem if so many people love them and have had no problem, where as an equal number of people have had nothing but problems.

Does anyone else have a suggestion for manufacturers to look at without spending a fortune? I absolutely despise buying furniture! It's so expensive and most of it is $#!+

I had terrible experiences with Lazyboy furniture--seats sinking/springs breaking/arms coming loose/wear on arms. I would not buy from them again.

I've been very happy with Rowe furniture. Stylewise, they tend to be more modern, which I like. Both couches I have are constructed well, though the one with less expensive fabric has shown some wear.

With any furniture, I think upgrading to nicer fabric is a worthwhile expense if you possibly can. The cheaper fabrics tend to pill and pull more often and look worn. I'd also suggest going with a non-solid (tweed works well) because they show dirt and stains less.

My mom bought a lazyboy sleeper couch and recliner chair about 19 years ago. The chair is still going strong at my DS's house, fabric and mechanisms all doing well. The couch lasted over 15 years, and if someone had wanted it when my brother moved it would probably still be around.

Now, that being said, (sorry to hijack), when we bought new furniture 2 years ago I was told by an Ashley salesperson that LB had changed where and how they made their furniture and their quality was down. Was this true, I have no idea. I doubt it today, consdering the fact that everything else he said to me was lies. Do not buy recliner furniture from Ashley! They are crap...sigh.

We were told that they would hold up, he promised us up down and sideways , and we bought the insurance on it and he said that would cover repairs to the recliners. Well the insurance company says, nope it is manufacturer defect, they won't touch it. Ashley came out and said that the warranty, labor was for 1 year, even though it is a defect? Sigh...so I wrote a lovely letter. Oh, I was also told they have to take the furniture from my house and it would be gone for 2 weeks!

As of now, the person I have spoken too is willing to only charge us 1/2 of the labor, which would be 15/hour and they will do it in my home. And it shouldn't take more then 5 hours to replace 2 mechinisms, and I won't be charge for more then that. Considering that wood pieces and bolts also fell off, I am rather dismayed. I was told that if they break again, it would be the same deal, they pay parts, we pay 1/2 labor. I do plan on getting it in writing. I guess paying $75 to fix my couches that should never have broken in the first place is what I am going to have to do.

As much as we love recliners, I don't think I will ever buy another one again. It is sad that I have to pay for their defect and shoddy merchandise. I would love to find and yes be willing to pay for furniture that will hold up they way they used to.

I haven't read the rest of this thread but I would like to share our experience with a LB reclining love seat. Our family room is downstairs but we decided to move the love seat upstairs when the kids all went away to college....just DH and me now. Somehow, one of the arms on the love seat got damaged moving it. We figured we could have it repaired but didn't do anything about it. This winter, we rearranged the living room area upstairs, moved the love seat, and turned it over to vacuum under and around the base.

The arms on this love seat are cardboard under the upholstery, explaining how the arm got broken! It doesn't appear to be repairable....unless we take it in to have the CARDBOARD replaced!!

We have agreed to never buy another couch unless we can turn it over in the showroom and look at how it is built inside! :headache:

Well, I think that I'll avoid Lazy Boy. I can't stand furniture shopping and I also can't stand deciding what furniture to purchase for our family room.

My dd wants an L shaped sectional. I am not sure- have always been a couch and loveseat person. Any votes for a sectional?

We bought a Lazyboy sofa nearly 7 years ago and it is fabulous. The cushions are all still very plump and the fabric has held up beautifully. They also stand behind their product. About 2 years after we purchased it, a friend was perched on the very back of the sofa and cracked the top rail (underneath the fabric) of the back. Our store took it in and repaired it and you would never know it had been repaired. It was a great buy as far as I am concerned.

I like my Lazy Boy furniture. We bought it roughly 4-5 years ago and it's still holding up without any problems. We checked out a lot of furniture stores when we were looking to purchase a sofa and so many of them were offering cheap quality for high prices. We knew we wanted a sectional and we wanted it to feel comfy. When we sat down on the floor model of our sectional we didn't even know it had a sleeper because you couldn't feel it thru the cushions. I was very impressed by their fabric selection. I don't remember the name of our sectional but we haven't had any problems with it, and thats with two cats who have lots of hairballs.:rotfl:

To the OP I would say check out Lazy Boy. It doesn't hurt to look. But I would be prepared to check out all the furniture stores in my area. It might seem like a lot but in the end you'll definitely be able to narrow down a few sofas that you like. Different people have different comfort levels.

Forgot the link- here's my husband's review of how La-Z-Boy puts their furniture together.

http://tarnaeluin.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/la-z-boys-lazy-construction-literally/

Shirt cardboard! Can you believe that?
That is exactly what our love seat looks like inside. The cardboard has broken away from the bracing. We bought our love seat about 10 years ago. If we had had little kids that like to sit on the arm of the couch/love seat, I can see where they would have gotten hurt by sitting on this arm of this piece.

I sit on the arms of our love seat and couch occasionally and I can tell you that they are made very well. Our set has also survived a cross country move and my son having the stomach flu all over the couch. Cleaned up with ease (we have fabric with the protection).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter