Last week in May vs. first week in Jan

jodybird511

DIS Veteran
We took our first trip to Aulani this past year, arriving on 12/29 and staying through Jan 8. It was EXTREMELY busy, but of course, we still had a fabulous time. We are planning to return early next summer, likely arriving the Wed after Memorial Day and staying 5 nights. I'd love to hear from anyone who might have been during BOTH of these times to get a comparison of crowd level. Otherwise, I'd just like to hear from those who have gone right after Memorial Day what their experience was at that time in terms of how busy the resort was. Also, how able were you to get what you were looking for in terms of rooms at the 7 month mark--hoping for a standard view 1 BDRM, but will do island garden or poolside garden if we must. Thanks in advance!

Bumping this, hoping to get some replies? Even if you've only been there in late May, opinions on crowd? Thank you!

Can't speak about Jan, but we were there this year during the last week of May. I didn't feel it was overly crowded. Weather is nice during May and the pool hours are extended beginning Memorial Day weekend!

We initially wanted to go during 1st week of July, but due to budget decided on last week of May. I believe flights as well as room prices were cheaper in May as well as early June.

We arrived the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend 2016 and stayed 8 nights. Flights were cheaper that day than any other time in summer for us. Crowds were not terrible to me but it was our first visit, so I have no comparison. We did a cabana that Sunday and went zip lining on actual Memorial Day so we missed those crowds. I booked it all in November on a cash reservation and was able to get three days of cabana and the kids club activities that I wanted. I thought it was fine. Some schools aren't out yet so I think it just gets busier as the summer goes on. I would for sure do it again at that time! I think it would be much less crowded than Christmas! Have fun!

I'll link my trip report if I can.

I just noticed you would try for Standard 1-BR. That's what we had when we were there, Room 769. We were lucky since the 7th floor is the highest "Standard" View. One floor higher and it's "Island" view which means more points for basically the same view. Of course, no guarantee you will get a room that high. I just looked at availability and noticed that May 31 and June 1 have no availability (as well as other days in June) for a Standard 1-BR. Granted, that could chnage, but I remember now when we were booking our trip that we moved our dates back into May, departing on the 27th since we were running into the same issue with trying to secure a Standard 1-BR in June.

I have not been either of those times, but I do know that our school district and several others that I know here in California do not go back to school until January 8 (kids get the two weeks after Christmas off) so that could be a pretty busy week for people traveling to Hawaii after the holidays.

Yes, it got better as the week went on in Jan, but it was still pretty busy. We aren't planning to return at that time--just wanted to get some feel for what May might be like, compared to what we had experienced.

I thought I posted on this, but most of the Hawaii schools are out during both of those times. Summer break usually starts around Memorial day week and Christmas break extends until the week after the first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter