Large-ish family group -best way to plan?

hsmamato2

<font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad
So.... next spring, large-ish family group (maybe 14)....I'm the 'expert' in the family...and I would like to help keep our group organized. Being as I had past issues with MDE and groups(a few years back) I want to ask .... is the IT better than it used to be? Like, what should be my steps? I have an account, so, get the other fams in the group to make their own accounts? What's the best way to 'link' our accounts(without all being on the same agenda) so that I can see fastpass options,etc for the whole crew? Is this even doable? thanks.... They'll have their own tickets, etc- but I'd like to plan an attraction together each day,and a meal.

Yes, step one is to have all others create their own accounts and then link them through MDE, then make a list of must do's for the family. Will be hard, but I'm sure you will succeed.

I planned a trip for 16 in August 2014 and had no problems. Getting everyone linked in MDE was very easy (and is even easier now) and I managed all of our ADRs and FP+ through MDE without any issues.

The bigger headache could be getting your entire group on board with doing the same things each day. Just make sure you book your ADRs as early as possible, because nailing stuff down for a large group will be harder.

For photo opportunities I would rally your group to go on rides that include the entire vehicle in the photo ,,,

Tower of Terror - an elevator holds 21
Dinosaur - a vehicle holds 12
Seven Dwarfs - train holds 20 typically (photos are individual cars, but video will show the entire train)
Pirates of the Caribbean - boat holds about 20 (newly added photo opportunity since mid-summer)
Splash Mountain - boat only holds 8
Frozen Ever After - I'm unsure how many people the boat holds?

Plan other group photo opportunities throughout the parks (castle, Fantasyland by BOG, Spaceship Earth ...)

I planned a trip for 16 in August 2014 and had no problems. Getting everyone linked in MDE was very easy (and is even easier now) and I managed all of our ADRs and FP+ through MDE without any issues.

The bigger headache could be getting your entire group on board with doing the same things each day. Just make sure you book your ADRs as early as possible, because nailing stuff down for a large group will be harder.
As far as linking..... they create an account.... and then how? Do they friend me? How is it done? I can see my Dsis on there from last time,I'd like to get setup well before any booking windows. Not too concerned about people being onboard,really mostly for a few things together etc. as far as FP goes, what's my best plan for getting them in same window? All at once or one a acct at a time? edited.... I just realized I accidentally put DP instead of FP....my fam is mostly into cs so not too worried about food options (at east not as a big group) was thinking more about FP times..... I'm going to try for overlapping times and hopefully get some together

Last edited:
When you log into the website, click on My Disney Experience up at the right and scroll to My Friends and Family. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see a blue plus icon for "Add a Guest" then follow the directions on the next screen

We usually travel as a group of 15-20 and it is a BLAST!
If you live close to each other, group meetings at 7 months and 65-70 days out are helpful to make sure everyone is on the same page about ADRs and FPs. Also helpful is creating a Facebook, Shutterfly, or other free group forum for the group to talk, share deadlines, etc.

Definitely make sure that everyone has their own MDE account, but also make sure that everyone understands how to use it and does not accidentally fiddle with FPs that don't belong to them.

Set expectations for how much time you spend together. Some people might want to rope drop, take breaks, skip EMH, etc. We don't try to do ADRs together every day. Maybe every other day, pick a few that seem fun or special then let an adult from each family make reservations for just their people, if they want more sit down meals.

I'm here with a group of 13 this week. Learned a ton... tag me to remind me and will be happy to share.

Having visited with extended family twice, this is the simple, two-step, MUST-DO tip I've learned:

Step 1. Have something "come up" making you unable to go with them.
Step 2. Plan a trip for just your nuclear family.

:-)

Having visited with extended family twice, this is the simple, two-step, MUST-DO tip I've learned:

Step 1. Have something "come up" making you unable to go with them.
Step 2. Plan a trip for just your nuclear family.

:-)
:rotfl2: Thanks... but been there done that with the 'difficult' family members....not doing it again(only family we get along with are invited lol)

When you log into the website, click on My Disney Experience up at the right and scroll to My Friends and Family. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and you should see a blue plus icon for "Add a Guest" then follow the directions on the next screen
So I should do that? or they should look for it on their screens? yes, You're right I need to have a planning meeting, I'll have to make an online space to do that. These are people with whom I get along fine,and we're all independent enough to want our own lives/plans, but we enjoy going places together(we camp etc yearly together) I am guessing that a single meet setup at most once per day will be enough for us all...after that we can 'wing it' as far as hanging out etc. We really are pretty chill....We have some little kids in our group,and I'll be the first to volunteer to stay at the pool and play all day with them!

As far as linking..... they create an account.... and then how? Do they friend me? How is it done? I can see my Dsis on there from last time,I'd like to get setup well before any booking windows. Not too concerned about people being onboard,really mostly for a few things together etc. as far as DP goes, what's my best plan for getting them in same window? All at once or one a acct at a time?
For making ADRs, when your window opens you would make an ADR for 14, then it will take you to a screen where you can add each member to the ADR list from your existing "friends and family" list. So, you would need to have everyone set up with their MDEs, either before making the ADR or down the road. You can add them at a later time too. You're not changing the reservation, you're "assigning" a person to one of the 14 spots you already have.
It's not a big deal if you make the reservation and not add each person, they just won't be able to see the ADR in their individual MDE.
One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes larger parties need to call Disney to make ADRs. Sometimes you can't do it on MDE.

FP+ are a different story because each one is linked to an individual magic band. If you are making all the FP plans you will have to choose people from your friends and family list in the process of getting FP. You will have better luck if you split that large group into overlapping time slots.

It's been a while since I've done it, but if I remember correctly after a person creates an MDE account, you can search for their name in your MDE and they send that person a request or invitation to be a part of your friends and family list. I also think that members have the option of who manages their plans, so if you are making plans for all the others, they have to give you permission in their individual MDE.
There is an option in MDE to "share your list" which makes it easier for groups to connect with each other.

We travel to Disney with extended family about every other trip (every other year, usually). It can be fun, but also draining. It's good to set limits and not try to do everything together.

I always tell the people I'm planning for to set up their accounts and then send me an invite via email. I specify my email address that is linked to MDE. It makes it a little easier to link up since the non-planners can log in once and complete their steps, rather than you having to bug them to log in again later and accept your friend request.

I would think you will have to make all of the FastPass reservations for everyone once you start planning a day and select a park. Am I wrong about that? I've never tried to plan a partial day and then have the individual plan the remainder.

I have an alternate plan, if you are interested...

Pick a park per day, and then have ONE get-together time per day. Everyone else is on their own until then.

Example:

Day one - Meet at Magic Kingdom, 7:00pm at the People Mover. Ride a few rides around there, enjoy the dance party, then amble over to fireworks by 9.

Day two - Meet at World Showcase Mexico pavillion at 7:00pm. Ride the 3 cabillaros, then start a group walk around the world until the fireworks at 9.

As for ADRs, plan maybe 2 together total.

The benefits of this way are immense...
- less stress on you as the planner
- much more fun conversations with family ("What did you do today?" instead of "Why didn't we get to go ride xyz?")
- honestly, large family is often more fun in smaller doses.

Just an idea...

I always tell the people I'm planning for to set up their accounts and then send me an invite via email. I specify my email address that is linked to MDE. It makes it a little easier to link up since the non-planners can log in once and complete their steps, rather than you having to bug them to log in again later and accept your friend request.

I would think you will have to make all of the FastPass reservations for everyone once you start planning a day and select a park. Am I wrong about that? I've never tried to plan a partial day and then have the individual plan the remainder.
Yesss I'm going to do that- have them email me,accept their friend thingy,and go from there.thanks! I haven;t yet thought about the partial thing..... what I'll likely do is pick a time period that I work with daily,and then let them figure out their own day after that...maybe....

This:
I have an alternate plan, if you are interested...

Pick a park per day, and then have ONE get-together time per day. Everyone else is on their own until then.

Example:

Day one - Meet at Magic Kingdom, 7:00pm at the People Mover. Ride a few rides around there, enjoy the dance party, then amble over to fireworks by 9.

Day two - Meet at World Showcase Mexico pavillion at 7:00pm. Ride the 3 cabillaros, then start a group walk around the world until the fireworks at 9.

As for ADRs, plan maybe 2 together total.

The benefits of this way are immense...
- less stress on you as the planner
- much more fun conversations with family ("What did you do today?" instead of "Why didn't we get to go ride xyz?")
- honestly, large family is often more fun in smaller doses.

Just an idea...
We have gone with a group of 9. I made all the ADRs and FP+s for everyone. After the first day, people started missing our FP reservations as we had split up. Which is fine, but then they may not get to ride that attraction. We typically plan one sit-down meal a day all together. Next time we go with a bigger group, I am not going to make everyone's FP+s. If there are attractions we all want to try to do together I will do it, but other than that, on your own. We typically go by the mantra, "It is your vacation so do what you want." No one needs to feel drug down by the group plan.

Also, it takes some legit extra time to move a group that size through the park together so splitting up some will be very nice.

There are 15 of us going in October. I've had the opposite exerience than the others and I suggest creating one account then give everyone access. I say this from experience. We created one for several of us and it's been a nightmare getting them linked up correctly. I repeat, nightmare, which included several calls to Disney IT. (Which I hated because I work in IT but that's a different story). Either way you can plan FP for your group and they don't have to do all the same rides at the same time. You select the people you want to add a FP for then go on to the options. I fought the FP to be the easiest of all.

We attempted to do as many rides as possible together but we are not doing EVERYTHING together. Especially since my nieces are 4 and 5 and my son and his friend are 14. We have a few dinners schedules while my sister and her kids are doing other things. One character meal is scheduled with all of us. (That was hard) So we are winging our days mostly.

There are 15 of us going in October. I've had the opposite exerience than the others and I suggest creating one account then give everyone access. I say this from experience. We created one for several of us and it's been a nightmare getting them linked up correctly. I repeat, nightmare, which included several calls to Disney IT. (Which I hated because I work in IT but that's a different story). Either way you can plan FP for your group and they don't have to do all the same rides at the same time. You select the people you want to add a FP for then go on to the options. I fought the FP to be the easiest of all.

We attempted to do as many rides as possible together but we are not doing EVERYTHING together. Especially since my nieces are 4 and 5 and my son and his friend are 14. We have a few dinners schedules while my sister and her kids are doing other things. One character meal is scheduled with all of us. (That was hard) So we are winging our days mostly.
If I did just one main acct- how would their tickets and rooms appear - under my name? I'm trying to avoid the IT nightmare I had a few years back.... Would they be able to access their own accts to make fp choices if they wanted? I can see this getting mixed up badly with 14 people and different rooms etc...... but I'm open to learning!

If I did just one main acct- how would their tickets and rooms appear - under my name? I'm trying to avoid the IT nightmare I had a few years back.... Would they be able to access their own accts to make fp choices if they wanted? I can see this getting mixed up badly with 14 people and different rooms etc...... but I'm open to learning!

With their confirmation number and last name you can link them to your MDE account. You would all use the same log in in order for everyone to see everything. Whoever wants to add fp just selects the person they want to add the fp for and then goes through the steps.

If you don't think everyone would like to do the same fp at the same time it isn't necessary to do just one but if you are doing it all for them, I suggest the one.

You can each have an account with their own stuff and still link them. I just know my experience was a pain to get them linked together. Once they were linked, I can still make choices for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter