• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Land & Sea- 4 nights split stay or one resort?

sunryzez

DIS Veteran
I have about 5 and a half weeks until my 7 month window for spring break. Last year we did DVC for four nights instead of doing our usual cruise. Vacation did not feel long enough and we really missed the cruise so this year we decided to do a 3 night cruise but still do 4 nights at DVC first. I am debating if we should do a split stay or not. I love the idea of staying at two resorts to enjoy different amenities. I could also save points by doing a studio the first two nights and a 1bedroom only the last two. Since we are doing the cruise right after we want the one bedroom for the washer/dryer. However, I m concerned a split stay and cruise might seem like too much packing/unpacking. Has anyone ever done a trip like that before and have advice? What would you guys do split stay or all 4 nights at one resort? I am also debating between old key west and bay lake. Anyone who stayed at these before have any input? I appreciate it!

if you can afford the points for a one bedroom the whole time then I would go that route and avoid the split stay. However I think the in unit washer and dryer will be invaluable to a following cruise so if that's a better use of points to only do the one bedroom on the last 2 nights then go for it. Split stays offer a slight inconvenience and on a short trip that might be an unnecessary inconvenience.

A split stay along with the cruise seems like a lot of packing and unpacking for a one week trip. I don't think I would enjoy that trip at all, so I would do 4 nights in one place and then the cruise.

Whatever you decide, enjoy the trip!

I have about 5 and a half weeks until my 7 month window for spring break. Last year we did DVC for four nights instead of doing our usual cruise. Vacation did not feel long enough and we really missed the cruise so this year we decided to do a 3 night cruise but still do 4 nights at DVC first. I am debating if we should do a split stay or not. I love the idea of staying at two resorts to enjoy different amenities. I could also save points by doing a studio the first two nights and a 1bedroom only the last two. Since we are doing the cruise right after we want the one bedroom for the washer/dryer. However, I m concerned a split stay and cruise might seem like too much packing/unpacking. Has anyone ever done a trip like that before and have advice? What would you guys do split stay or all 4 nights at one resort? I am also debating between old key west and bay lake. Anyone who stayed at these before have any input? I appreciate it!
I would definitely choose to stay at Bay Lake, because it's on Bay Lake and right next to MK, & on the monorail line.

It's really all what you're cool with. I know some people who LOVE doing split stays. They don't mind the packing/unpacking, moving etc... For us personally, we avoid split stays whenever possible. It's just not our thing. We like to get there and settle in for the duration. For a trip as short as 4 days, I wouldn't do the split stay. To me, that would just make 4 days feel even shorter. Especially following a cruise! (I would do the cruise 1st, WDW 2nd but again that's personal preference).

As for BLT vs OKW. Both are great, but they couldn't be more different. OKW is very chill, very low key. It's also not convenient at all for transportation or proximity to the parks. If you just wanna chill for a few days tho and really relax then it's great. If you're looking to get a bunch done in 4 days tho, then BLT is the way to go for sure. The convenience is only topped by BWV and BCV (IMO at least). It's a much "busier" resort than OKW. More to do, more to see. Much more convenient being able to walk to MK and also obviously easy access to the monorail for TTC and Epcot. Now if you're really looking for convenience to maximize your 4 days...BWV or BCV would be my recommendation! Walk or a quick boat ride to Epcot or DHS. Monorail from Epcot to MK. Plenty of stuff to see and do around the resort area. Only time you'd need a bus would be for AK or DS.

DCL has passenger laundry rooms for not a large fee. On a 3 night cruise, I doubt there is that much competition for a laundry room. I would not do a split stay for the sole purpose of doing laundry before the cruise.

We do before and after cruise. OKW -Cruise - VB. Or SSR- cruise - OKW.

We have done 2 or 3 nights before and after, so our vacation is 7-10 days.

Good Luck with your planning.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate them! We already have our cruise booked so we cannot change that portion of the trip. I think I am leaning towards a one bedroom for the whole stay instead of a split now. I think you are all right, a split stay sounds wonderful to experience more amenities and experiences but that would work better for a longer stay. With only 4 days I should just enjoy my time at the resort. Now I just need to decide which one. OKW is by far the best points wise but I have never stayed there before. How are the pools and restaurants? Suggestions?
I do love that Disney Springs is so close since we will probably only be doing the park one-two of the 4 days.

Like the OP the two resorts are quite different. Since OKW was the first timeshare the rooms are spacious long with the balconies and there are quiet pools spattered about in each section. The resort is huge and very spread out and Olivia's is a nice table service restaurant. You will take bus transportation to all the parks with four stops alone at OKW. You can take a boat to Disney Springs and the dining options there are limitless. BLT is self contained and an easy trek to the MK. You will then have access to all the monorail resorts and their dining options. We love Kona at the Poly and go at least once no matter where we stay. Each has their own special feel but if points was a non issue, BLT would be my first choice. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate them! We already have our cruise booked so we cannot change that portion of the trip. I think I am leaning towards a one bedroom for the whole stay instead of a split now. I think you are all right, a split stay sounds wonderful to experience more amenities and experiences but that would work better for a longer stay. With only 4 days I should just enjoy my time at the resort. Now I just need to decide which one. OKW is by far the best points wise but I have never stayed there before. How are the pools and restaurants? Suggestions?
I do love that Disney Springs is so close since we will probably only be doing the park one-two of the 4 days.

If you're only planning on going into the parks once or twice, OKW is fine. It's a very relaxing resort if you're just looking to chill a little. You'll be more restricted as far as dining options and activities than at BLT just because you don't have easy access to several other resorts (and MK) like you would at BLT. All things equal, I'd probably choose BLT....as you said though, all things aren't equal. You're gonna use a lot more points for BLT than OKW. So I'd say if you don't mind those points then go with BLT, but if you need those points for another trip in the future then go ahead and save some points at OKW.

Would you prefer the spread out, chill resort or the more centralized, busier but more convenient resort? While they're certainly very different resorts, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

I have done a 14 night trip:
2 at VB, 7 night DCL, 5 at BWV
never set foot in a park the whole trip.
OP, What do you plan on doing during your stay at WDW, the more details you can provide the more help we can suggest.

I have done a 14 night trip:
2 at VB, 7 night DCL, 5 at BWV
never set foot in a park the whole trip.
OP, What do you plan on doing during your stay at WDW, the more details you can provide the more help we can suggest.
Since it will only be 4 or 5 nights I am thinking of doing the parks only one or two days. Disney springs one day. The rest of the time relaxing at the resort and pools. Dinners each night at a resort. That is the tentative plan. I will have a car so transportation is not an issue. I'm just trying to decide on which resort makes the most sense and if a split stay is wort it for such a short trip.

Since it will only be 4 or 5 nights I am thinking of doing the parks only one or two days. Disney springs one day. The rest of the time relaxing at the resort and pools. Dinners each night at a resort. That is the tentative plan. I will have a car so transportation is not an issue. I'm just trying to decide on which resort makes the most sense and if a split stay is wort it for such a short trip.

If you're looking to do a lot of meals and stuff at the resort, I would definitely recommend either BWV or BCV. You'll have plenty of dining and activities options to keep you busy right in the resort area. Of the original 2 options you mentioned, I'd lean towards BLT over OKW in this case because you'd have the options around the monorail loop, as well as WL and the campground.

Does anyone know when it comes to doing a split stay if you can book it all at once or do I need to book the first few days and then wait a few days to book the second part? Or since it is one trip can I book them both on the 7 month. ( for example on the 1st book the 1-4 and then if I want to book the 4-5 can I book it the same day or have to wait until the 4th? )

If that's your plan, consider SSR. Easy walk to DS (where there are some great dining options that are pretty easy to get in), plus easy access to a bus to resort dining options (or easy in and out if you elect to drive).

Does anyone know when it comes to doing a split stay if you can book it all at once or do I need to book the first few days and then wait a few days to book the second part? Or since it is one trip can I book them both on the 7 month. ( for example on the 1st book the 1-4 and then if I want to book the 4-5 can I book it the same day or have to wait until the 4th? )
You'll need to wait for the window to open for the second resort. You could book your FP+ or ADRs all at once when the widow opens for the first reservation, but you can't do that for the actual lodging reservations.

The boat to Disney Springs from either OKW or SSR, would make either preferable to me than BLT, but I enjoy swimming, and BLT has my least favorite pool. My favorite one at SSR is at Congress Park, and any of OKWs pool are OK with me, we usually go to Miller.

I would second the vote to look into BWV or BCV. BCV has the great pool. You are within walking distance to one of the mini-golf courses. You can walk or boat to EP and HS. However, if you are only planning on going to MK and AK, in regards to your park days, then these two locations might not be as ideal for you. :)

We do split stays and enjoy them, but usually only for longer trips. We did a split stay once where we moved after two nights and it just seemed like a lot of packing and unpacking in such a short amount of time. Also, we just didn't get enough time at that resort to really enjoy it. After that trip, I decided we won't do split stays where we are at one place less than 3 nights.

Have a great trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter