Land Border Opening?

Josh Wingrove(seems to be a White House reporter) posted on another social media site that mixed doses will be accepted by the US as fully vaccinated! I'm cautiously optimistic, but we of course need to see an official statement. .....but EEEEE!! :Pinkbounc

Excellent find!!! Improved my mood, I appreciate the post!!!!

From the Bloomberg article…

“The U.S. will consider people arriving by plane vaccinated if they received shots that are either authorized by the Food and Drug Administration or have an Emergency Use Listing from the World Health Organization.

The same will likely apply to those arriving by land, said the official, who added that children under 18 are likely to be exempt. People who have mixed shots from two different providers will be treated as vaccinated, two people said.”

The decision to accept WHO-cleared shots not used in the U.S. means millions of travelers who have received doses developed by AstraZeneca Plc, as well as China’s Sinopharm Group and Sinovac Biotech Ltd., will be allowed to enter.

Like with Canada opening the border to vaxxed Americans, keeping the testing requirement means effectively this change means a lot less than what people think.

There was the hope in border cities that when we allowed Americans in they would resume day/weekend trips and boost the local economies. But the expense and hassle of the tests proved a real deterrent. I think that will be the case here as well.

Don't get me wrong - this is exciting - but it's not like my sister in Windsor can now just pop over to visit our brother in Detroit for lunch. But what really irks me is those in charge glibly offering the option of "testing in Canada and using the results to return on trips of less than 72 hours".

Lets walk through that process. First, you need a molecular test to return - that means the $140- PCR test, not the cheapo Rapid Antigen you can get here at Shoppers to enter the US by plane. Those PCR results often take 48-72 hours. Which means effectively you either pay for the tests and wait for the results, hoping you get them with enough time left over for a day trip, or take the test, drive into the States without knowing the results, and stay there long enough to get the results, not knowing exactly how long that will take. Huh? How is any of that doable in a way that makes sense for a short trip?

Answer is - it doesn't. The testing in Canada option, unless I'm missing something, is simply not practical. Now maybe if they allowed the Rapid tests, sure.

Only way I can see me driving to see my brother for an afternoon would be to try to find a Walgreens somewhere near his place that offers the NAAT test and hope they have appointments available on a day I want to go. Then drive there first, get the test, go visit, and hope the results come back in an hour or two.

I don't know about anyone else, but that does not sound like a relaxing day to me. As long as the current testing requirements stay in place, the land border opening will only really help longer trips that justify all the hoops.

Like with Canada opening the border to vaxxed Americans, keeping the testing requirement means effectively this change means a lot less than what people think.

There was the hope in border cities that when we allowed Americans in they would resume day/weekend trips and boost the local economies. But the expense and hassle of the tests proved a real deterrent. I think that will be the case here as well.

Don't get me wrong - this is exciting - but it's not like my sister in Windsor can now just pop over to visit our brother in Detroit for lunch. But what really irks me is those in charge glibly offering the option of "testing in Canada and using the results to return on trips of less than 72 hours".

Lets walk through that process. First, you need a molecular test to return - that means the $140- PCR test, not the cheapo Rapid Antigen you can get here at Shoppers to enter the US by plane. Those PCR results often take 48-72 hours. Which means effectively you either pay for the tests and wait for the results, hoping you get them with enough time left over for a day trip, or take the test, drive into the States without knowing the results, and stay there long enough to get the results, not knowing exactly how long that will take. Huh? How is any of that doable in a way that makes sense for a short trip?

Answer is - it doesn't. The testing in Canada option, unless I'm missing something, is simply not practical. Now maybe if they allowed the Rapid tests, sure.

Only way I can see me driving to see my brother for an afternoon would be to try to find a Walgreens somewhere near his place that offers the NAAT test and hope they have appointments available on a day I want to go. Then drive there first, get the test, go visit, and hope the results come back in an hour or two.

I don't know about anyone else, but that does not sound like a relaxing day to me. As long as the current testing requirements stay in place, the land border opening will only really help longer trips that justify all the hoops.
Yeah, I guess because Canada still has a travel advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada, they’re not looking to make it much easier for casual trips. They may keep it this way to limit non-essential traveling until they are ready to lift that advisory

I can see your point. That being said the average person crossing the land border won't just be going for lunch. I live 45 minutes from the border and would plan a day trip. Usually these aren't spur of the moment trips because I need to know I'm making it worth my while. Because I know I'm going I would book a walgreens appointment for the morning I'm going the 2 days before when it's released. My experience is the test comes back within an hour.

Sure this eliminates spur of the moment (not even that if you are able to find an appiintment time before crossing) trips but not necessarily short trips.

Smaller town crossings are hard pressed to have a Walgreens or CVS -- DH has been waiting to take his dad across into Montanna to visit family and there is zero testing in the small town they will be visiting. Either needs to drive quite far or go to Regina before and pay for a test.

Not only this, but I'm sure the free Walgreens or CVS tests are really only meant for Americans. Us "smart" Canadians have figured out how to get one though (i.e. putting in your hotel address as your own address so we can book one).

In the grand scheme of things currently I'm sure those of us who are doing this are going unnoticed. But if a ton more start doing it, I'm sure it's going to get noticed and Walgreens/CVS are going to figure out a way to close that loophole (and make us pay for it if we want one).

Not only this, but I'm sure the free Walgreens or CVS tests are really only meant for Americans. Us "smart" Canadians have figured out how to get one though (i.e. putting in your hotel address as your own address so we can book one).

In the grand scheme of things currently I'm sure those of us who are doing this are going unnoticed. But if a ton more start doing it, I'm sure it's going to get noticed and Walgreens/CVS are going to figure out a way to close that loophole (and make us pay for it if we want one).

I don't know about this, I told BeeperMD that I was Canadian and they said it didn't matter. So maybe the higher ups will change their mind but I don't think the places doing the tests will be bothered.

If that happens then I'll just start lying and going and getting free tests here. Just say someone I know was exposed. I'm not going to pay for something that they require that isn't effective anyway.

ETA that I also think it's unlikely that it's a loophole. The border communities have been begging to open the border. Putting another barrier up by having to make us pay for testing to go home is unlikely

If that happens then I'll just start lying and going and getting free tests here. Just say someone I know was exposed. I'm not going to pay for something that they require that isn't effective anyway.

ETA that I also think it's unlikely that it's a loophole. The border communities have been begging to open the border. Putting another barrier up by having to make us pay for testing to go home is unlikely

So if you’re “lying “ here to get a free test to travel in essence you are delaying a symptomatic person from getting tested and getting their result. So if litt Bobby can’t get squeezed in on a Tuesday and his mom has to miss another day of work because people are taking the spots to travel, just a thought ..

Now, if only they could drop testing for cruises, all our problems would be solved.

I actually think the cruise lines NEED the testing. They are already under great scrutiny even without COVID as "floating petri-dishes". I would feel much safer being on a ship knowing that A) everyone is vaccinated and B) everyone has had some type of test before boarding. Their success with these two things alone I just can't see them doing away with it. Especially if the tests are being paid for by the customer.

So if you’re “lying “ here to get a free test to travel in essence you are delaying a symptomatic person from getting tested and getting their result. So if litt Bobby can’t get squeezed in on a Tuesday and his mom has to miss another day of work because people are taking the spots to travel, just a thought ..
In my area many appointments are almost always available for next day. So no I wouldn't be taking anything away from anyone at this point. It's not like we are at the peak of the pandemic anymore.

From the Bloomberg article…

“The U.S. will consider people arriving by plane vaccinated if they received shots that are either authorized by the Food and Drug Administration or have an Emergency Use Listing from the World Health Organization.

The same will likely apply to those arriving by land, said the official, who added that children under 18 are likely to be exempt. People who have mixed shots from two different providers will be treated as vaccinated, two people said.”

The decision to accept WHO-cleared shots not used in the U.S. means millions of travelers who have received doses developed by AstraZeneca Plc, as well as China’s Sinopharm Group and Sinovac Biotech Ltd., will be allowed to enter.

My concern is they say 2 different providers but do they just mean a mix of Pfizer and Moderna or AZ and an mRNA. They've been saying for awhile that AZ is accepted but only if you have two doses of it. At this point the WHO has not approved the mixing of AZ and mRNA so technically at this point they don't have to accept it. I will be not happy if they don't though and hope that they mean the mixing of AZ and mRNA, we listened to our government and that may have screwed a bunch of us, 4 million of us to be exact.

I actually think the cruise lines NEED the testing. They are already under great scrutiny even without COVID as "floating petri-dishes". I would feel much safer being on a ship knowing that A) everyone is vaccinated and B) everyone has had some type of test before boarding. Their success with these two things alone I just can't see them doing away with it. Especially if the tests are being paid for by the customer.
This. A Covid infection can spread like wildfire on those ships. They need the testing for a long time. Although I would like to see them bear some of the cost burden considering they need it to safely run .

The free tests in Quebec does not provide us with valid travel documents so even if we wanted to do that we couldn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter