Labor Day Weekend trip - Wilderness Lodge

TAX GUY

DIS Veteran
So, recently got back from a weeks stay at Wilderness Lodge. This was our first stay here, but not our first trip to Disney. We have two DVC bases, Grand Floridian and Riviera. We try to stay at a different location each trip so we can experience as many resorts as we can.

First, the trip was an absolute blast! Loved the Wilderness Lodge. We were in a two bedroom to share with some friends that met us there. They had a few days at Bay Lake, then joined us at Wilderness Lodge. The room was spacious, and the layout was fine. I say fine only because I wish the kitchen area was wider (it was more long and narrow). The room was well stocked and *mostly* clean. Not enough to get upset over, but a few debris on the floor and some dried soap on a bathroom shelf/ledge. The pattern on the shelf was so that the glob of soap actually blended in, and I only noticed because an item I had on the shelf wouldn't sit flat. When we checked in, our old bands were outdated (first gen) so we had to get card keys. We bought new bands and had them linked, so no big deal. We did NOT want mousekeeping since we usually pick up after ourselves and thought they might be needed elsewhere, however, they still came EVERY day! They emptied the trash/recycle, gave fresh/clean towels and restocked toilet paper and soaps, plus gave a quick sweep!

As for the parks, we had reservations nearly each day (travel days we did not). Most days, the crowds were small, if any at all. However, during the long holiday weekend, Saturday and Sunday was MOBBED! Some of the longest lines, ticket purchases, security and ride lines were the lonest I've seen! Monday (labor day) was decent, with moderate ride lines. Tuesday and Wednesday, we pretty much walked on almost every ride. Soarin' we walked on, twice! Transportation was great with minimal wait for the next bus/boat.

Masks weren't an issue either. I'm not a fan of wearing them, but of course we did where required. It wasn't nearly as "uncomfortable" as I thought it might be, where actually it was fine and not once was it ever an issue with me, us or any other guests. CM were courteous and would simply remind everyone about coverings once inside, so to please be ready. Not once did I see or hear anyone complain. Even those that waited in line, only to be turned away once they got "inside" and didn't have their mask (who does that, after all this time KNOWING there's a mask requirement?).

On a personal level, we had a lot of "firsts". Visiting with our friends, they knew a lot more than we did about the parks. So, for us, many times it was like being there for the first time! Oh, and I finally had my first Dole Whip! FINALLY!!! It was just as good as everyone said! Even ate at Ohana for the first time too..... Ah-Maze-ing!!!! We also went back to Chef de France, which is also phenomenal! We celebrated our wedding anniversary (23 years) and during our honeymoon, this was our "special dinner", so it was nice to be able to go back again, almost 23 years to the day, later.

We also went over to the Riviera to see about a tour, since we bought there, but hadn't seen it other than pictures. Our first visit resulted in no tour. It was about 815 pm, and they stopped at 8pm. We returned the next morning to tour, before we hit the parks. Boy were we impressed! The pictures do NOT do it justice. I absolutely loved it! So bright, so modern, welcoming and great décor/atmosphere. I know it's "new" but the colors are bright, earth tones. Once thing with many of the other resorts is dark woods and colors, but not here! We have a Disney Cruise already booked for summer 2022, and we'll be looking to book a few nights here before the cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter