konika minolta 5d, be gentle with the newie!

binkyboots

Evil Pastry
well, after many happy years with my little nikon coolpix 2000 (much mourned) where I'd learned through trial and error how to get mostly good pics, it was stolen (with 300 wdw pics aboard :furious: )

afterwards we came how and bought an hp point and shoot, but it's awfull, lag like you wouldn't believe! no good.

so, we went back out and bought a konika minolta 5d, my first ever slr.

I've had it for two days and am yet to take a single pic, intimidated isnt in it! I'm terrified.

in easy, large and slow words that a newbie such as I can understand, can anyone help me figure this thing out?

for instance....

I like taking pics in low light, traffic trails are fun, how do I do that on this?

macro, do I need to buy a new lens or am I missing something :crazy:

hmm... I'm confused.

Your 5D will perform much better in low light situations then your old coolpix did. Not that the coolpix was a bad camera but the lense in an SLR allows alot more light into the sensor then the point and shoot lense you had before. There is a setting for macro, but if you want true macro photo's you will either need to get a set of close up filters or a true macro lense. I would suggest the filters personally as they are considerably cheaper and give you the option of useing just one of the 3 different strenghts or to stack them and get a truely unique effect. Ofcorse with a true macro lense your images should be sharper but as I said, they are very expensive. I shoot with the Konica Minolta Maxxum 70 which is a film SLR but not all that much different then the 5D. A nice wide angel lense, zoom lense, and a flash will help you do wonders. I hope you got the wide angel lense with the camera. Read the manual and play with the camera. There are ALOT more options and features and tiral and error will go a long way. Especially with the preview on the back. ;)

binkyboots said:
so, we went back out and bought a konika minolta 5d, my first ever slr.

I've had it for two days and am yet to take a single pic, intimidated isnt in it! I'm terrified.

I don't know whether you know this, Konica Minolta is no longer in business. What does it mean? I don't know. You may (or may not) want to exchange your dSLR with a different brand (nothing wrong with the Minolta, though).

Kelly Grannell said:
I don't know whether you know this, Konica Minolta is no longer in business. What does it mean? I don't know. You may (or may not) want to exchange your dSLR with a different brand (nothing wrong with the Minolta, though).

I was just going to say the same thing. You should probably return it since there will be no company if anything goes wrong. Another brand would be a wise choice!

The Konica-Minolta camera business has been bought by Sony. K/M will continue to make cameras and lenses for Sony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter