Kid-Friendly Food on ABD China Trip?

SteveInCA

DL Fan
Hey folks,

We're seriously considering the China trip next year. We did the ABD Rome/Amalfi Coast tour in 2008 and had a blast, and we're itching to do another one.

One question we have is what sort of kid-friendly food is available on the China trip. We have one very picky child and one somewhat picky child, so we want to make sure that there will always be something available for the less adventurous culinary adventurers while we're there.

Thanks!

One of my criticisms of the China trip was the lack of culinary adventure. I found the food very bland and too "Americanized". This, despite the fact that we were eating in Chinese restaurants in China. Even my kids were disappointed at the lack of "real" Chinese food.

That is too bad...we are booked for the ABD China trip next spring/summer and as "foodies" were looking to experience some new and different things!

That is too bad...we are booked for the ABD China trip next spring/summer and as "foodies" were looking to experience some new and different things!

Well, there are a few meals on-your-own, as well as free time during the trip, to try some authentic Chinese food and delicacies. But for the most part, Disney has thoughtfully planned the meals around the less adventurous guests, although a few dinners did include some "real" dishes... :thumbsup2

Well, there are a few meals on-your-own, as well as free time during the trip, to try some authentic Chinese food and delicacies. But for the most part, Disney has thoughtfully planned the meals around the less adventurous guests, although a few dinners did include some "real" dishes... :thumbsup2
I really like how you phrased that! :cool1: Very accurate & PC!

*Somehow*, I think it should be the other way around (planned for the adventurous, with a few less adventurous options) but nobody asked my opinion!!!

Sayhello

The Beijing Night market one evening on your own is a must...

fish face, duck face... spicey tofu... there are several just a little different foods you can try... (Chengdu is great for the spice of China) ...

and for the truely less adventuresome... you can get sticky rice with garlic and soy sauce if that is really what would hit the spot... popcorn::

I didn't find the food bland--and agree with other posters that there was plenty of opportunity to try out the local digs, including the Night Market (especially if you enjoy scorpions!!). That said, you still need to be careful--one Junior Adventurer on the trip was sick for half a day and we suspect it was from the beef his grandfather bought ("burger") at a vendor. At least you know with the Disney meals that they have sought out safe places to eat (and western toilets!); also, on our tour there was an 8-yr-old with a bad peanut allergy, and the Disney guides made sure every meal was safe for her.

(and western toilets!);

It isn't good... it isn't bad... it is just different

:santa:

We have a SEVER fish allergy in our party (so we pick China...) and Disney went WAY out of their way sometimes to make sure that everyone was safe... not happy (she loves fish) but safe.

I really like how you phrased that! :cool1: Very accurate & PC!

*Somehow*, I think it should be the other way around (planned for the adventurous, with a few less adventurous options) but nobody asked my opinion!!!

Sayhello

Thanks. I agree with your philosophy. I like an immersive experience when travelling to different countries and food is always an integral part of that experience. But I also understand Disney's middle-of-the-road approach when trying to cater to family-friendly excursions... :)

It isn't good... it isn't bad... it is just different

:santa:

We have a SEVER fish allergy in our party (so we pick China...) and Disney went WAY out of their way sometimes to make sure that everyone was safe... not happy (she loves fish) but safe.

Haha... we heard THAT a few times during the tour!

The Beijing Night market one evening on your own is a must...

fish face, duck face... spicey tofu... there are several just a little different foods you can try... (Chengdu is great for the spice of China) ...

and for the truely less adventuresome... you can get sticky rice with garlic and soy sauce if that is really what would hit the spot... popcorn::

Thanks for the heads-up on the Beijing Night market and Chengdu...we are so excited about our first trip to China! :yay::yay:

If you are REALLY adventurous and looking for something new and different, there is a restaurant in Yangshuo (I think it's called Twin Peaks?) that serves dog meat. :scared1:

We stopped there for lunch on-our-own since the guides said it's one of only a few places with a Western toilet. This was the day we did the Li River cruise in Guilin. We did NOT order the dog meat, but it's available, along with (surprisingly) a number of American dishes...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter