Just returned, thoughts...

Edmom

Earning My Ears
I am a long time reader of these boards, and have very much appreciated all the nuggets of wisdom I have gained to use on our 3 trips to Disneyland over the past 5 years. As such I thought I would just post a few thoughts from our last visit between the scorching dates of August 25- September 1.
We visited the parks on Saturday, Monday-Thursday taking Sunday off due to the CHOC walk, as per advice read here, and we were happy with our decision.

Hotel
For the second time we stayed at the Tropicana Inn which was again lovely. The location just cannot be beat, the room we had was freshly renovated and very clean, and the pool while small, did the trick to help cool us down after long Disney days. I highly recommend.

The Parks
We had five day park hoppers which I obtained during the Canadian Residents special offer, and activating the passes was quick with presentation of our passports on our first admission. Since they then take your picture, there was no need for id for subsequent entries. Very easy.

We did not opt for Maxpass due to the $40 per day charge for our family, (an extra $200 for the trip) and did not really feel that it would have been of benefit for us to do so. We used our fastpasses to the max and rode everything we wanted to, most often with minimal waits.

As for waits, the parks were really not that busy, most likely due to the fact that the heat was crazy and that school for most locals started that week. We found crowds even less than our last trip which was during the first week of November in 2015 and we thought that week was not crowded at all.

Most rides were almost walk on, we never waited more than 15 minutes in a line, and like I said used fast passes for those rides where we would have had to wait, and often almost walked on right away with the fastpass. I was amazed that people would wait 45 minutes in a line when the fast pass return was 5 minutes away, but it was nice for us.

As it was so hot, (above +35 Celsius each day) we took full advantage of the free ice water offered from the counter service restaurants, a fact I never would have known about except for reading it here, so thanks!
We also used misting fans and cooling towels, (frequently recommended here) and these were godsends for those hot afternoons. We took frequent breaks in the parks and snacked, as well as went back to our close hotel for a couple hours each day around 3 before returning to the parks in the evenings.

For our kids (DDs 7&11) they still love bugs land and we always found that these rides were almost walk on at any time of the day, so it was never a bother to make a quick stop and ride them all.
Monsters Inc also is a hidden gem, and often has short waits. And of course the Ariel ride is a favourite for us as well.
My girls also really loved the Redwood Challenge, and it was a great shaded place for them to run off some energy and for my husband and I to take a little break.

In DL we visited those rides with AC quite a bit, Pirates and Small world are nice for that.

Meals
We had good meals everywhere we went, and portions sizes were very large.
Flo's V8 Café, Cozy Cone, Pacific Warf, Paradise Grill, Boardwalk Pizza, French Market, Rancho Del Zocalo, and the many churro carts provided us with sustenance throughout our trip.

Again thanks for all the years of advice and tips!

I am a long time reader of these boards, and have very much appreciated all the nuggets of wisdom I have gained to use on our 3 trips to Disneyland over the past 5 years. As such I thought I would just post a few thoughts from our last visit between the scorching dates of August 25- September 1.
We visited the parks on Saturday, Monday-Thursday taking Sunday off due to the CHOC walk, as per advice read here, and we were happy with our decision.

Hotel
For the second time we stayed at the Tropicana Inn which was again lovely. The location just cannot be beat, the room we had was freshly renovated and very clean, and the pool while small, did the trick to help cool us down after long Disney days. I highly recommend.

The Parks
We had five day park hoppers which I obtained during the Canadian Residents special offer, and activating the passes was quick with presentation of our passports on our first admission. Since they then take your picture, there was no need for id for subsequent entries. Very easy.

We did not opt for Maxpass due to the $40 per day charge for our family, (an extra $200 for the trip) and did not really feel that it would have been of benefit for us to do so. We used our fastpasses to the max and rode everything we wanted to, most often with minimal waits.

As for waits, the parks were really not that busy, most likely due to the fact that the heat was crazy and that school for most locals started that week. We found crowds even less than our last trip which was during the first week of November in 2015 and we thought that week was not crowded at all.

Most rides were almost walk on, we never waited more than 15 minutes in a line, and like I said used fast passes for those rides where we would have had to wait, and often almost walked on right away with the fastpass. I was amazed that people would wait 45 minutes in a line when the fast pass return was 5 minutes away, but it was nice for us.

As it was so hot, (above +35 Celsius each day) we took full advantage of the free ice water offered from the counter service restaurants, a fact I never would have known about except for reading it here, so thanks!
We also used misting fans and cooling towels, (frequently recommended here) and these were godsends for those hot afternoons. We took frequent breaks in the parks and snacked, as well as went back to our close hotel for a couple hours each day around 3 before returning to the parks in the evenings.

For our kids (DDs 7&11) they still love bugs land and we always found that these rides were almost walk on at any time of the day, so it was never a bother to make a quick stop and ride them all.
Monsters Inc also is a hidden gem, and often has short waits. And of course the Ariel ride is a favourite for us as well.
My girls also really loved the Redwood Challenge, and it was a great shaded place for them to run off some energy and for my husband and I to take a little break.

In DL we visited those rides with AC quite a bit, Pirates and Small world are nice for that.

Meals
We had good meals everywhere we went, and portions sizes were very large.
Flo's V8 Café, Cozy Cone, Pacific Warf, Paradise Grill, Boardwalk Pizza, French Market, Rancho Del Zocalo, and the many churro carts provided us with sustenance throughout our trip.

Again thanks for all the years of advice and tips!
You're right, there are "nuggets of wisdom" here for trips to Disneyland.

Glad you were able to survive the heat.
The Tropicana is a nice place to stay. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub when we stayed there. The location is fantastic!

I see this is your first post. :welcome:

Geemo

So glad you had a great trip! :wizard:

We were there the same time as you, but for 4 days in the park (arrived Aug 26, in the parks from Aug 27-30, and flew home Aug 31 after our character breakfast at PPH). We felt the same way.. while it was stinkin hot, we managed the heat okay, and loved the short lines!

Also from Canada (BC) and took advantage of the 25% off tickets (crossing my fingers they offer the same deal in the future!!)

And we also stayed at the Tropicana.. probably crossed paths at some point ;)

The Parks

Great report. We were there same time as you and I agree with you about the heat and crowds. I think it's great how QS will give you ice water for free, and those cooling towels do help! Like you, I wouldn't have known either of those without Disboards.

And I'm totally with you...we just used FastPass for any headliners. I don't understand why some stand in line for 45+ minutes when you can just wait for next FP window.

We had the Canadian discount too and agree, it was a quick process as you go through the gate the first day. We even used our Nexus cards which was nice as they are smaller than passports.

Monsters Inc is cute isn't it? What is Redwood Challenge? We missed that.

Redwood Challenge is an obstacle course/playground right across from a Grizzly River Run. It has zip lines, fantastic rope climbers and many little paths, caves and other neat things to help burn off some energy for kids. It is geared to kids under 12. Lots of benches for weary parents too :)

Redwood Challenge is an obstacle course/playground right across from a Grizzly River Run. It has zip lines, fantastic rope climbers and many little paths, caves and other neat things to help burn off some energy for kids. It is geared to kids under 12. Lots of benches for weary parents too :)

Sounds fun. Our kids would have liked it. Too bad we missed that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter