Just read about another Facebook scammer

BaybeeYoda

Mouseketeer
I feel so bad for this poor woman on FB. There is a page called: Disney Vacation Club, Rent/Sell/Buy points/weeks on facebook. She just gave $$ to a fake DVC owner for rooms in early May. She said that she is a single mom and looks like she has like 5 kids on FB. Its just awful. She was clearly a little too trusting, and the deal was probably a little too good. She gave the scammer a little over $1600 for 4 days, don't know what resort, via venmo :(. I feel so bad for her.

She then posted asking for a room for the dates she needed xxxxxx and wrote that she is not sending money until she does her due diligence. I told her that those dates are completely sold out at every resort (including grand villas, etc)-- easy enough for us to check as an owner.

I hate reading this stuff. It makes me so sad. I feel so bad for her. The people who get scammed are the ones least deserving of a scam (no one deserves getting scammed, but it seems like the ones that are tend to be more vulnerable and may not afford the loss as easily). Anyway, just venting. Thanks.

dates removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
She then posted asking for a room for the dates she needed xxxxxx and wrote that she is not sending money until she does her due diligence. I told her that those dates are completely sold out at every resort (including grand villas, etc)-- easy enough for us to check as an owner.
Sadly, the way the world is these days, the woman could be a scam artist too with a sob story trying to get a freebie from a generous DVC owner.

would be nice if i were wrong but, it’s become increasingly difficult to separate a scammer from a scammie

Sadly, the way the world is these days, the woman could be a scam artist too with a sob story trying to get a freebie from a generous DVC owner.

would be nice if i were wrong but, it’s become increasingly difficult to separate a scammer from a scammie
Or if she starts a Go Fund Me... it is sad, though.

the woman could be a scam artist too with a sob story trying to get a freebie from a generous DVC owner.
Not passing judgement on this instance in particular, but the number of "help me I have nowhere to turn to" posts with sob stories on places like nextdoor, facebook, imgur, reddit, etc. are off the charts lately. Scammers are getting wise and are really starting to appeal to heartstrings in force, rather than by tricking people in other ways.

Not passing judgement on this instance in particular, but the number of "help me I have nowhere to turn to" posts with sob stories on places like nextdoor, facebook, imgur, reddit, etc. are off the charts lately. Scammers are getting wise and are really starting to appeal to heartstrings in force, rather than by tricking people in other ways.
Absolutely, I hate that it’s the first thing that crossed my mind. It’s just so pervasive to read the stories. Nearly impossible to wade thru them to ascertain the truth.

not sure whether it’s becoming more common place to get scammed, people are reporting it more often, or it’s a scam in it’s own right.

Will say, only donate to local go fund me requests when I can verify the facts. Even then, just token amounts JIK.

I feel so bad for this poor woman on FB. There is a page called: Disney Vacation Club, Rent/Sell/Buy points/weeks on facebook. She just gave $$ to a fake DVC owner for rooms in early May. She said that she is a single mom and looks like she has like 5 kids on FB. Its just awful. She was clearly a little too trusting, and the deal was probably a little too good. She gave the scammer a little over $1600 for 4 days, don't know what resort, via venmo :(. I feel so bad for her.

I hate reading this stuff. It makes me so sad. I feel so bad for her. The people who get scammed are the ones least deserving of a scam (no one deserves getting scammed, but it seems like the ones that are tend to be more vulnerable and may not afford the loss as easily). Anyway, just venting. Thanks.

dates removed.
I’d suggest that she file a police report & then dispute the charges w/ the credit card co. she used to pay Venmo or w/ the bank if she used her debit card to make the Venmo payment.
& since she’s soliciting for an owner to find a villa for her it sounds like she still has money to pay for accommodations, so I’d suggest that if she wants to stay onsite her group of 6 would fit into a family suite at All Stars Music which is likely just over $1600 & since she’d be dealing w/ WDW she wouldn’t need to worry about being scammed again, likewise, she can probably reserve at an offsite resort for less than Disney, for example it looks like a 2 br. at the Sheraton Vistana would cost less than $800 for 4 nights.

Ha. I offered her the one day that was available (grand Floridian) with my points (16) for free. She turned me down. Maybe in a different situation I would have gotten scammed but I also can afford to part with 16 points ;)

Thx for the warning. Maybe she’s the scammer. So horrible we have to think this way now!!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter