Just made these shirts

disney-akj

DIS Veteran
IMG_6816.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

I am a teacher and at school we had a teacher that had her class make tie dye shirts with sharpie markers. I am awful at making tie dye shirts the traditional way, and the ease of tie dying with sharpies seemed too good to be true. So I got to thinking and did a google search for "mickey sharpie tie dye" to see if any one else had the same idea as me. I found a few blogs and videos that talked about tie dying with sharpie markers. I followed a lot of their hints and did a few things a little different. I will list what I did below. So easy and the info I found on-line was helpful. So I recommend doing the google search because some of the pictures are more helpful if you plan on making these :goodvibes

Materials: Pre-washed shirts, rubber bands, various sizes of bowls/cups(for mickey's head and ears), eye dropper (or syringe), rubbing alcohol, permanent markers (I bought the bic brand because it was a lot cheaper than sharpie, and my kids liked the colors better so what was a mother to do :goodvibes)

Step 1: Place a piece of wax paper or a plastic grocery sack in the middle of shirt so the marker dye doesn't bleed through.

Step 2: Place the larger bowl in the center of the shirt (top layer only) and rubber band around it to hold the shirt still

Step 3: Place dashes of various colors of the marker around the rim of the bowl. We did make our dashes touch and didn't make them too big. We did color patterns, it is up to you what you do. (We used a lot of green too because these are for St. Patrick's Day)

Step 4: Fill the eye dropper (we switched to a larger medical syringe for medicine that we had because it went quicker) with rubbing alcohol and put it on the marker. I just tried to squirt the alcohol evenly, but I did not take the time to count each drop etc. The alcohol just naturally seemed to spread evenly on the cloth. The more alcohol you use the more it spreads.

Step 5: Remove the bowl and place two cups where you think the ears should be. Then rubber band the cups in place, and then repeat the steps above for each ear.

Step 6: Make sure that you leave the plastic in between the shirt while it dries. Then put shirt in dryer because the heat is suppose to help set the color. Then supposedly you can wash and dry like normal. (I will probably wash mine by themselves at first to be careful not to ruin other clothes)

***If you wish to make the piece sign design, it was easy. I just marked it on carefully at the same time I traced the big bowl with dashes***

Let us know how they turned out AFTER you have washed them. I tried making DS Charlie Brown's shirt (yellow with the zigzag stripe) using a Sharpie and did the heat set, but when I washed it, the marker bled all over it and I had to start with a new shirt and use a fabric marker. Turned out MUCH better. Good luck! Can't wait to see if it worked!:thumbsup2

Let us know how they turned out AFTER you have washed them. I tried making DS Charlie Brown's shirt (yellow with the zigzag stripe) using a Sharpie and did the heat set, but when I washed it, the marker bled all over it and I had to start with a new shirt and use a fabric marker. Turned out MUCH better. Good luck! Can't wait to see if it worked!:thumbsup2

I have washed them already. The color did fade slightly and is not quite as bright, but I was expecting that from my past experience with tie dying. I did all three shirts that we made in one load to be sure not to ruin other clothes. The marker did not spread anymore though. I think with the alcohol placed all over the marker through the process that might help with extra bleeding because the marker spreads a lot then on the shirt. We made them for fun and for something for the kids to wear on St. Patricks Day on our trip so we will save them now until our trip, and if they don't last through too many washes I am ok with that.

I have washed them already. The color did fade slightly and is not quite as bright, but I was expecting that from my past experience with tie dying. I did all three shirts that we made in one load to be sure not to ruin other clothes. The marker did not spread anymore though. I think with the alcohol placed all over the marker through the process that might help with extra bleeding because the marker spreads a lot then on the shirt. We made them for fun and for something for the kids to wear on St. Patricks Day on our trip so we will save them now until our trip, and if they don't last through too many washes I am ok with that.

Glad they turned out! I figured DS would only wear his shirt for Halloween (he was Charlie Brown in '10), but he still wears his shirt to school once every month or so.I have a feeling he's going to have me make him another one when he finally outgrows this one.:rotfl:

When you put the bowl on the tshirt, did you put it between the layers of the shirt with it coming through the shirt and then put the elastic around?

Also, once you finished with the marker, did you take the bowl out before you did the alcohol?

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter