Just had a strange experience.....

Once My uncle and aunty took their kids to WDW, but my uncle is the drink-by-the-sleepy-greek-harbour guy, not the do-lots-of-attractions guy - he hated it.

We stay offsite every time. I-Drive is perfect for us, great location, good transport links and many, many restaraunts/shops, not to mention we can get a 2 bedroom suite for the same price as a single room on Disney property.

This isn't to say I hate Disney resorts per se, I just dislike the prices and sleeping arrangements.

I do love ALL the parks (non-Disney included.)

My dad hated it too, he found it a bit cheesy and sickly sweet. I like it, but I get why other people might not...

He did like DLRP though 2 years ago - maybe because it was in a smaller dose. That and the staff at DLRP border on downright rude - no sickliness present...

My sister and family went and i was so excited for them, they had a fairly good time but they said they would never go back, they prefer to "slob out" on a beach for 2 weeks, whereby me and DH need to be entertained the whole time, else we get bored. I must admit i was disappointed that they didn't share my enthusiasm for Orlando. She also had a big fight with her daughter and always mentions it when we talk about Florida and i say "i wish you had better memories of that holiday" and she says that's why she thinks she didn't enjoy it....also i think she pushed her kids too much and they were shattered and moaned alot. Anyway, there are plenty of people who love it and if we were all the same it would be boring. :goodvibes

Don't compare WDW to DLRP, it's like comparing a signature restaurant to a quick service restaurant.
For various reasons DLRP does not offer what WDW has to offer, and I guess those who know both resorts will agree with that.

Oh my gosh I disagree strongly :lmao: I love WDW as much as the next person on these boards, but it isn't the height of Dsiney standard and quality and leagues ahead of DLP. For that, you need to go to Tokyo Disney Resort. WDW offers a very different experience than DLP, it's a vacation destination. Obviously, the choice of dining is far superior, as is the night-time entertainment, however within regards to the actual parks, it's quantity over quality in my honest opinion, Magic Kingdom especially. Disneyland Park in Paris makes the MK look like Six Flags.

One of my sixth form students went to WDW for Xmas last year, when she got back I asked her what she thought and she said that none of the family had been very impressed. I asked her what she thought of the rides such as Soarin, Splash, Everest etc and every single answer she gave was that they hadn't been on that one. I didn't manage to find one ride they had been on or show that they had watched! I can't imagine what they did there for 2 weeks!

Oh my gosh I disagree strongly :lmao: I love WDW as much as the next person on these boards, but it isn't the height of Dsiney standard and quality and leagues ahead of DLP. For that, you need to go to Tokyo Disney Resort. WDW offers a very different experience than DLP, it's a vacation destination. Obviously, the choice of dining is far superior, as is the night-time entertainment, however within regards to the actual parks, it's quantity over quality in my honest opinion, Magic Kingdom especially. Disneyland Park in Paris makes the MK look like Six Flags.

Each to their own but I love DLP. The castle alone is stunning. The DLH is fantastic too! I'm looking forward to WDW for a different experience, and I'm sure I'll love it, but I'm expecting it to be less 'pretty'. Don't flame me!:rotfl:

The castle in DLP is awesome, I love the dragon underneath. However, the food is terrible, the staff are rude, the hotels are bordering on run down, the park hours are short and there's not much to do at night. Plus the weather is usually rubbish. It's just not in the same league as wdw.

That said, I think they have the best potc and BTMRR out of the parks :)

I really like Disneyland Paris (except for the smoking and queue jumping everywhere) but the killer for us is that it costs as much for 4 days over in DLP as it does for 10 days in Orlando doing Universal/IOA...:confused3

Plus I've been to DLP in the winter - never again :sad2: Love it in the summer though :flower3:

I can't imagine what they did there for 2 weeks!

Probably the same as someone I know through work who went with her family 3 years ago. I don't think I have ever seen anyone so excited in the run up to their trip. But she didn't want any info or tips as they like to "wing it" and don't like schedules. I don't force info on people. It's offered and you are free to take it or leave it. Well schedules are one thing, but being informed is entirely different. Anyway, in a nutshell, they managed to spend 2 weeks there, not meet a single character, spend a great deal of time leaving parks and driving offsite for meals as they didn't know about ADR's (after giving up with TS she thought you needed some kind of reservation for CS too :scared1:), didn't know what FP was .... I haven't heard any news of plans for them to go back.

But it's more than a 'bad' experience. Some people just don't buy into the whole OTT Disney theming or even the very extrovert type of culture you find in America. Oh well, one less group of people to stand behind in line somewhere when I go :rolleyes1

. Oh well, one less group of people to stand behind in line somewhere when I go :rolleyes1

:lmao: Exactly! imagine how busy it would be if the WHOLE world loved Disney.....my sister and hubby spent 2 weeks on a beach in Mexico, just eating, drinking and sunbathing.....BORING! (although a little bit of that mixed into Disney is nice :goodvibes)

I really like Disneyland Paris (except for the smoking and queue jumping everywhere) but the killer for us is that it costs as much for 4 days over in DLP as it does for 10 days in Orlando doing Universal/IOA...:confused3

Plus I've been to DLP in the winter - never again :sad2: Love it in the summer though :flower3:

I had heard tales of expenses being high, but not that high! What prices were so high, out of curiosity?

(I don't intend to go, just wondering. I have been to northern france (Not Paris), didn't like it at all.)

I know many people/families who hated their holiday to WDW! :eek:

The main reasons they disliked it so much was because of the hot weather, crowds & long queues. & When i ask if they did any planning or researching before they went they look at me blankly & say "No? Why should i have to plan my holiday for?!". & When people we know DO ask for help in the planning they tend to get overwhelmed, not bother with what we said or simply forget when they're there. :confused3 You want to help people as much as possible, since they're probably spending alot of money, you really don't want it to go to waste but unfortunately some people just don't get 'it' when it comes to planning & researching their WDW holiday. My family & I have learnt the hard way over the years. :lmao:

I think that most people just don't realise how much there is to Disney, it hasn't got just your standard theme parks.. it's a whole other world. ;)

I had heard tales of expenses being high, but not that high! What prices were so high, out of curiosity?

currentely, a night at the DLH for christmas will sell for 1000 euros (870quids)
Last year, regular rate for a room at the DLH was 500 euros, this year it went up to 600 euros
The rates are so flexible, depending on offers, flash sales, or whatever, that people don't just realise how expensive it is. Actually, the system is made so that you may get a 40% off discount on your stay, but still pay as much as the guy next door who paid full price ... strange ? no, magic does not only operate in the parks, it also operates on the way rates are calculated.

The shops are also pretty expensive.
Let me just take an example. A Stitch fluff will cost you from 15 to 19 euros in DLP, when it will generally cost you $8.95 + tax in florida (roughly 8 euros tax included) for the same item. So on this specific merchandise, DLP is at least twice as expensive as WDW

restaurants follow the same rule.
example : at casey's corner, french fries = $2.49 in WDW, same restaurant in DLP 2.99 euros. At the current rate of exchange, your fries will cost $3.5 in DLP instead of $2.49
Cinderella's royal table (character dining), dinner will cost you roughly $55 (incl tax&gratuity) in WDW and 60 euros in DLP ($70)

so be prepared, it's rather expensive.

(I don't intend to go, just wondering. I have been to northern france (Not Paris), didn't like it at all.)

You're looking at £150 at least to get there (probably more - the bus to and from the airport once you're there costs £40 return...), £120 at least for tickets, hotels run at about £80/night for a 2*, food is the real killer - budget £40/day minimum (1 counter service, 1 table service)...so you're looking at £600 for a 4-day break. Conversely, our flights and hotel for 11 nights in Orlando came in at that...

You're looking at £150 at least to get there (probably more - the bus to and from the airport once you're there costs £40 return...), £120 at least for tickets, hotels run at about £80/night for a 2*, food is the real killer - budget £40/day minimum (1 counter service, 1 table service)...so you're looking at £600 for a 4-day break. Conversely, our flights and hotel for 11 nights in Orlando came in at that...

I experienced the same as Kath with a DLP quote 2 or 3 years ago. I wonder if party size comes into it (??) We are a party of 2 and sometimes it costs more if you are not a family of 4. It really depends how they structure their pricing and what promotions/add ons are available/required. Our early December quote came in, with flights and park tickets for 2 of us (my DD was 7 at the time) at DLP Santa Fe Resort for the same price for a 6 night/7 day stay as we did WDW for the Easter earlier that year .... with flights!

I experienced the same as Kath with a DLP quote 2 or 3 years ago. I wonder if party size comes into it (??) We are a party of 2 and sometimes it costs more if you are not a family of 4. It really depends how they structure their pricing and what promotions/add ons are available/required. Our early December quote came in, with flights and park tickets for 2 of us (my DD was 7 at the time) at DLP Santa Fe Resort for the same price for a 6 night/7 day stay as we did WDW for the Easter earlier that year .... with flights!

i did check to go there too im a solo traveler it would be cheaper for me to go tot wdw for almost 2 weeks without flights then to go to paris for 4 days

In August this year, my in-laws came with us to WDW for four weeks and all they did was complain about everything from the heat to amount they had to walk.

In the months leading up to the holiday I sent them as much information as was possible and it turned out they hadn't read any of it.

They simply could not believe that it was so big. They even complained about our Disney cruise.

It ruined our holiday so when we go in February, it will be a complete relief not to have them with us.

David

Although I love DLP, it is now out of the question for us as a family of 5. The DLH family rooms are too expensive and it would be 2 rooms everywhere else! Even the Santa Fe in January would cost us around £800 for 2 rooms and around £500 for flights, not including transfers or food. That would be for 3 nights.

In August this year, my in-laws came with us to WDW for four weeks and all they did was complain about everything from the heat to amount they had to walk.

In the months leading up to the holiday I sent them as much information as was possible and it turned out they hadn't read any of it.

They simply could not believe that it was so big. They even complained about our Disney cruise.

It ruined our holiday so when we go in February, it will be a complete relief not to have them with us.

David

I would hate to go with 'non-believers' for all of these reasons.:rotfl:

My DSis and DBIL are "believers" but we tend not to do the parks with them because DBIL is concentrating on ticking off all the rides he wants to do (OK, the smaller kids may be allowed on Dumbo as long as DSis waits with them while he takes the older ones on something fast!) but can spend a whole day in DLP and not see a single show:scared1: As far as I'm concerned the shows are some of the best things - and where the value is (think about all those people, costumes, effects etc.) So even with those who get Disney you have to take care;)

My DSis and DBIL are "believers" but we tend not to do the parks with them because DBIL is concentrating on ticking off all the rides he wants to do (OK, the smaller kids may be allowed on Dumbo as long as DSis waits with them while he takes the older ones on something fast!) but can spend a whole day in DLP and not see a single show:scared1: As far as I'm concerned the shows are some of the best things - and where the value is (think about all those people, costumes, effects etc.) So even with those who get Disney you have to take care;)

I'm like you - it's the other attractions that help make the whole experience! Shows, parades, fireworks etc. :goodvibes I definitely wouldn't go with other people for a first visit as their 'agenda' would probably be different from ours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter