just for fun - tell me where you'd stay if you were me.

lilsonicfan

DIS Veteran
Thinking about a trip in spring with my family of 5. 3 teens/tweens.
  • Studios are unlikely since some only sleep 4 and in any event I'd prefer the kitchen/laundry also
  • We'd probably prefer a 2BR but might be better to be point misers and stick with 1BR.
  • Looking to stay around 7-8 nights.
  • We would possibly consider a split stay, but not super keen on that as we'd probably try to add a few nights at one of the Universal hotels so I don't want to move too much.
  • We'll have a car and probably would use that over Disney transportation with the exception of going to MK.
  • Speaking of MK, I always feel that's the park we would visit least as my kids are older.
  • Kids don't love sharing a bed but can be talked into it
Here are the viable options:

SSR - advantage: Murphy bed seems more comfy than sofa bed, my kids don't mind the pulldown twin
OKW - spacious, but sofa bed and pull out sleeper chair
AKL Kidani - extra bathroom in the 1BR but sofa bed and sleeper chair. Are the long hallways at Kidani an issue if you have a car, or can you park close?
BRV 2BR
BLT 1BR lake view - extra bathroom, same sofa bed/sleeper chair issue

My vote for 7 nights: BRV 2BR and request a room with a Murphy bed!

Get a king bed in the main bedroom and two permanent queen beds in the second bedroom. Plus a Murphy bed for the 3rd kid in the living room.

My vote for 8 nights: SSR SV 2BR.

Same bed situation, just different theming, resort feel, and location.

Kidani has I believe five elevators spaced throughout the building (might be 4) (EDIT: it’s Six!) and the parking is under the hotel, so you can park “under” your room and come out of the elevator very close to your car. We never had to walk more than maybe 100 feet once in the parking area. Plus if it’s raining you don’t get wet! It’s still possible to have quite a walk to the elevator from your room because the hallways are SO long, especially the furthest north wing rooms, but most rooms are close to one of the elevators.

I’d do AKV in your situation if you’ve never stayed there, I think it’s a you-should-do-it-once thing, and SSR if you have stayed at AKL before.

Last edited:
Dredging up an older topic, but it is also the first result when searching for "kidani elevators".

Here is an annotated version of the map using the great info above:

Kxq3nYU.jpg
See map in this post for more detail on elevators and Kidani.

BLT - very cool place to stay, good amount of living space for 1BR, and 2 bathrooms. Lakeview is worth the points upgrade imho and there’s still decent availability. It’s a great combo of exciting and functional. We love bopping around with hopping and visiting other resorts for meals and whatnot. This is a close runner up and if it was the only one of my choices available I’d still be very happy!

We haven’t tried BRV or CCV yet so I can’t really say much there. Or SSR.

We usually have a car but still appreciate the use of boats, monorail, skyliner, etc. From BC jump over to RIV for meal via skyliner, or boat to Poly for a meal (or drink at Trader Sams 😉) and take monorail back to BLT… It’s fun working stuff like that into our plans. OKW is great with parking car by your room and the huge economical 1BR, but the sleep situation isn’t the best for 3 ppl in the living room, or the one bathroom being accessed thru the bedroom in most units. We’d likely go with AKV over OKW/SSR in this situation. That’s a great resort too, we just usually prefer near park resorts.

BCV would be my top choice during Flower and Garden. For some reason the resort looks shiniest to me then. But availability is tight and usually needs a 10 or 11 months lead. With less priority for MK I’d pick BWV next, even if as usual only garden view left. We didn’t find much difference between standard and Garden/Pool to justify the points but G/P is still reasonable and a great option.

Since you have a car, I'd be tempted to choose either OKW 2 bedroom or SSR 2 bedroom. Proximity to Disney springs for restaurants and shopping, lots of space to spread out. Relaxed atmosphere.

1 Bedrooms seem really cramped with teens - the point chart at OKW is amazing for 2 bedrooms.

There are no 1BRs with three separate sleeping beds in the living room, and thus getting a 1BR means that two of the kids will be in the same bed unless you bring something to provide an extra sleeping space (e.g.,sleeping bag, blow-up mattress). Otherwise, for a 1BR, the best choice for your group would be either AKV Kidani or BLT (and Kidani if you do not want close to MK, but if you have a car, BLT is ideal because you can walk to MK and drive to other parks). The living room has the pull-out couch queen, a large pull-out chair that provides a bed close to twin size (larger than the Murphy beds that pull out of a cabinet in the in the living room of 1BRs in some other resorts) , and the big plus is that both have an extra full bathroom for those sleeping in the living room (no other WDW DVC resort 1BRs have that second bathroom). OKW 1BRs and AKV Jambo also have that pull-out chair but not the second bathroom.

Mentioned above are BWV, BCV and BRV, but for five in a 1BR they are among the worst -- about 100 sq ft smaller than BLT or Kidani, have only one bathroom and only one bed in the living room (BRV now has the Murphy bed that pulls down from the wall over the couch in most, but not all, of the 1BRs; BCV and BWV are currently undergoing refurbs that are prviding that Murphy bed in the 1BRs). Thus, you would need to bring something for the fifth to sleep on because there is only a bed for two in the living room, and if all three in the living room need separate beds, you need to bring two forms of sleeping places and that would create a space problem in the not-large-enough living room.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for the replies! It's crazy to say but I haven't stayed at any of the WDW resorts yet. We stayed at Aulani in a 1BR and it was doable... we are also booked in a 1BR at VGC in a few months but only for a few nights... but we also took advantage of an Interval Intl Getaway in Las Vegas and got a 2BR and I really appreciated the ability to spread out, not to mention a second full bath which was very nice. Everyone has made really good points to consider, many of which I hadn't thought of. Thank you!

If you plan to use your car daily, SSR and OKW would be my top choices. Nothing compares to being able to park right outside of your villa. I like the full size washer/dryer set up in the OKW villas, but the murphy beds at SSR.

Another thing I'll add is AKL and BLT are quite dated and both in due for a full refurbishment in the next year or so. I'd do BRV or SSR personally since those were redone recently (very recently in the case of BRV) and have those murphy beds as well. Could make the difference when you're staying that long.

Edit: By dated/refurb I'm speaking to the DVC rooms specifically.

For economy of points: OKW 2BR (second bedroom has 2 beds plus there is a sofa bed in the living room)
For extra bathroom: Kidani or BLT (could do a 1BR in either of these)

not to mention a second full bath which was very nice.
Yeah that seems like a game changer to me.

BLT shines for that, plus the extra living space. BLT 1BR is bigger than 2 studios (due to the curvature of the building). Part of it’s design is efficient use of space. Before we stayed there I wasn’t thrilled by the rooms’ look but changed my mind after seeing in person. The resort has a strong cool factor. DH especially loved the whole experience! Contemporary has some very impressive elements, with a 4th/5th floor walkway attached to BLT. If you go make sure to spend some time there.

Mousehacking does a good job with pics. Hit the back/forth arrows on the room pic to see them all.

eta -
F0170A0E-7D9B-49FD-B4EC-69F12710448F.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd go for the OKW in a two bedroom because a bunch of teens means I want my space and the point charts are really attractive for that. The downside of OKW is that bus transportation is less great than resorts that have easy park access - and teens might get some independence (our son would eat dinner with us in Epcot, then - having seen Epcot at night many times - walk back to BWV on his own from the time he was a young teen. His younger sister wanted to stay until closing).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter