Just back - useful info! Also taking questions!

ErinInCT

Someday my tag will come...
Haven't done a trip report yet but feel free to ask anything.

Stayed at VWL from Mon - Fri. Went to MK, MGM & EPCOT.

It was much hotter then I thought! Only one afternoon had a very brief soft shower (felt good actually), the rest of the time was rain free - of course we got there the day after Jeanne. Speaking of Jeanne, I was surprised at how much damage there was. Tons of trees down or bent over (the maintenance guys were definately working overtime at WL), signs down, shingles off roofs & homes boarded up (from airport trip). In the parks I did not really notice any damage though.

Crowds were very low! Walked on to most everything! Lots of FP machines were not even activated due to no lines! But Spectro crowd was awful. Too many people in that heat. We left half way through. Wishes on a different day was fine though - and we saw Tink fly!!!!

I learned so much from this trip! It will help make the next trip a little smoother. Didn't know what to expect with dd4 & dd1 but now I know what the family can handle & will plan a much longer trip next time so we do not have to rush! Oh, and maybe we'll go in Jan!!! The heat was really unbearable!

Boo hoo, I miss Disney already!!! Time to plan for 2006!

I just came back today and it was a great trip. We got down there on Sat and stayed at the CR on Sat and Sun. I think most of the damage ErininCT saw was from the other hurricanes!! I was shocked by the amount of damage I saw on the way to the resort from the airport on Sat before Jeanne even arrived.

It was hot, but it didnt seem to bother me all that much because there were NO crowds. So we spent most of the time in air conditioned rides. We went last Oct and it was both hot and crowded and I could never do that again. I was nervous that I would have a hard time with my 2 and 4 year old in the lines in that heat, but there were NO lines at all. I have been to Disney over 20 times and have never seen it so empty.

We stayed at the Pop from Mon-fri and just loved it.

Here are some helpful tips.
Bring clothespins! We used them for lots of stuff. Had one day of a brief shower & I clothespinned the poncho over the stroller. Clipped to snack back to keep them closed. Clipped bathing suits to the line in the bathroom.
Bubbles!! So useful when waiting around. Did not have long waits for anything, but used them to make the 10 minute waits go by faster. Always gave dd a second wind!
Sit down meals. Chef Mickey's was the best ever! Loved it. It is so necessary to sit to relax. Next time I will stay for 10 days vs 5 & take things much slower especially with the heat!!
Pins, pins, pins! Pin trading was dd's favorite thing & I saw many a sad kid who wanted a pin after they saw dd trading with someone!
Keep camera close at hand. Dd was picked to walk Cinderella from the outside of Toontown back to the place where the meet & greet takes place & I was so excited that I forgot the camera & the autograph book so we had to go back later & wait in a huge line!! Dh got it all on video though!
Glow sticks. We got so many comments from people wondering where we bought them (we brought them from home). Dd even wore hers during the day in case she was scared during a dark ride.
Ear muffs. Dd does not like loud noises. She wore them thru Wishes!!
Try to speed out of the stores. Some rides exit you right at a store & dd was always begging for something from the stores! Just shuttle kids out as fast as you can!
Only take the necessities. We put the backpack/diaper bag in the stroller but I was afraid to leave it so we took it on rides & it got to be pretty heavy. We had lots of stuff that was not really necessary. Next time I would split the stuff into 2 fanny packs. One with stuff we don't need often (like the diaper stuff & baby stuff) & one that is readily accessible (with lanyard, autograph book & camera!!). We brought a cooler that we left in the stroller no problem.
If I think of anything else, I'll post it!

No crowds! That's great to hear. We're on our way on Tuesday and hope the crowds stay on the low side!::yes:: Glad to hear you had a great trip.

What kind of things did you take in your cooler? Wondering what I can get away with taking in there.This is my first time to WDW and I have a 2yr and a 12yr old. Any tips are helpful. I don't want to be taking too much!
Thanks a bunch!

:earsgirl: :earsboy: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

In our cooler we only brought water. I brought one Brita Fill & Go so when we finished our waters I would fill the Brita bottle & pour it into the empty water bottles. The ice in the cooler melts pretty fast in that heat though!!
We brought snacks in our backpack/diaper bag & we were never questioned by the security people checking bags so you can bring in food too. We brought in pretzels, goldfish & crackers (mainly to keep the baby quiet!!).
I felt like we brought too much. You'll know after the 1st day what you need & what you don't! Then you can trim down & only bring the necessities.

We're still here. We were going to take a day off today. Only around noon DH was thinking he'd like to go spend the day at MGM. We were planning on skipping that park this trip. I really thought it was going to be too crowded on a Saturday--- especially w/ us not getting there until 1pm. Anyhow-- there were no lines for ANYTHING!!! We were able to walk on everything and anything we wanted to do. We didn't have to get in line more than 5 minutes early for Beauty & The Beast or Little Mermaid. Also got a bench in the shade only 20 minutes before parade time.

Loving the lack of crowds, not the heat. At home we didn't have 1 single day that was as hot all summer as it's been for this trip. So, we are in complete heat shock!!:eek:

Oh how I am hoping and wishing it stays that way for our trip. No Crowds!We will be there a little after noon tomorrow. YAY!

Originally posted by Lilskibearsmommy
Oh how I am hoping and wishing it stays that way for our trip. No Crowds!We will be there a little after noon tomorrow. YAY!

LUCKY!!! I still have 19 days and I WANT TO GO NOW!! I don't think I can wait much longer!! I am glad everyone had a great trip and thanks for the helpful tips! :Pinkbounc :hyper: :teeth:

I'm hoping it stays that way when my dd7 (birthday at MK) and I go next month :rolleyes:

Here's hoping the weather is great and the crowds are low :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter