• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

just back from por!!! thanks for all your help in planning the trip!!!

TAZBOM

Earning My Ears
we just returned last night from por and i just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help in answering questions regarding the trip to orlando. if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. again, thank you.:Pinkbounc

My family and I are going to WDW for the first time in December and already have a room booked at POR. Just a couple of questions...

* What building did you stay in and were you happy with it?

* How was the condition of the room you stayed in?

* What was your overall impression of the resort? How did you like the pool(s) and the bus service?

* Were there any signs of the upcoming closing of POFQ and how was the service at POR?

I think that's it...for now. :p

Thanks for offering the post!

Mark

mark,

we stayed in building 16 which has great proximity to the parking lot and one of the quiet pools. we, though never used the quiet pool as the big pool on ol' man island was so much better for our kids (boys - 13, 11 and 7). you may want to call por and have them send you a map of the facility as that would help you decide what is the best location for you. many buildings were closed when we stayed there and we arrived late in the day on a sunday so we didn't get what we requested - a water view corner room in buildings 14 or 15. in retrospect if i could have known what i do now i would never have requested a water view as our room could not see the water from our windows. the only buildings that have a good water view are 14, 18, 27 and 38 in the bayou. 18 is a smoking building so we didn't want that and the others were full. in my opinion building 14 is in the best location on the property. it has great proximity to parking, the food court, main building and large pool. i would request a corner room (that just means you get an extra window) in building 14. the view means little as their is no balcony in any room, just the walkway outside the door, so when we were in our room we kept the shutters closed so we could have some privacy. you will likely be spending little time in the room so you really don't need to pay for a view. the condition of the room was fine, but was slightly on the small size (this is the same room layout at all moderates). it would have been nice to have a closet area and sink area that were separated from the rest of the room. my overall impression of the resort was great. the food was just o.k., but we never ate in the restaurant, just the food court. the restaurant was fairly expensive and we chose to eat elsewhere for about the same cost, but better atmosphere. the big pool was great. it has a slide, and was super fun for our older kids (until we pool hopped to the yacht and beach club - try doing that after 5:00 pm and they don't check to see if you are staying at the resort - the risk is worth it, it has a great, great slide). there is only one spa and they could use 2 or 3. the lifeguards watch over the pool very carefully during the day, but leave at night and that is when the kids, whose parents are in the spa, start knee sliding down the slide and doing all sorts of other things the lifeguards would go nuts over (we let our kids do this too as you have to take some risks in life - they loved it). we only used the bus service to magic kingdom as we used our rental car to go to the other parks. if you have a car do it this way as it is a great time saver if you leave early for the parks. use the bus service to magic kingdom only as that will save you time going there. in our one experience with the bus service we felt it worked great, but we left the park 1/2 hour before closing. we rode the monorail for fun one night and passed the magic kingdom at closing and the lines for the buses were pretty long. the service at por was fine and there was no sign of pofq closing. we even went down there one day and used the pool and didn't notice anything. we are from california and had never been to wdw before so here are a few things that i would tell you we really enjoyed doing...go to kennedy space center - 1 hour drive - and then on to cocoa beach (ron jons surf shop, the beach and dinner on the pier - not expensive), go to clearwater beach - 1.5 hour drive - (super white sandy beaches with pier and dinner at frenchys rockaway grill on the beach - again not expensive), family style dinner at ohana's at the polynesian resort (fun for the kids, good food, make reservations for a window seat view of the magic kingdom at 7:45 and watch the fireworks from your table at 9:00), burgers and ice cream at beaches & cream at the yacht and beach club (really good burgers and banana splits and again not expensive). there are so many other things that we didn't get a chance to try. if you need help with what type of park tickets to purchase or how to set up a schedule for your vacation please write back as it might help you alot and i would love to repay those who helped me by helping others. info that i received on this website allowed me to plan well which made the vacation as good as it became. don't under-research your vacation, but go with the flow once you get there.

good luck,

mike

p.s. sign up for the monthly newsletter on mousesavers.com. tons of great info and deals. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce:

How were the crowds at the parks (AK, MK, & MGM)? We're leaving in 8 days and just curious.

Sounds like you had a nice time. thanks!

THE CROWDS AT ALL 4 PARKS WERE MODERATE. WE USED EARLY ENTRY EXCEPT AT EPCOT AND HIT ALL MAJOR ATTRACTIONS FIRST THING. IF YOU DO THAT YOU WILL WALK A LITTLE BIT MORE IN THE FIRST HOUR OR TWO, BUT WILL BE VERY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS AT THE END OF THE DAY. FOR THE MOST PART THE LONGEST WAITS WERE ABOUT 20 MINUTES. IF YOU NEED ANY FURTHER INFO JUST ASK.

I will be staying at POR may 7-13th. This will be my first time staying onsite. I am just dying to have some of those beignets but I heard they only have them at POFQ, did you notice if they have them at POR restaurants also? POFQ will be closed when we get there. This is my 2 daughters (ages 9 & 11) 2nd trip to WDW. MY parents are also coming with us, my dad has never been there and its been 30 yrs since my moms been there. Do you think they will be impressed and happy with POR? thanks
Kim

kim,

i don't know if por has the beignets. your parents should be impressed by the grounds as they are beautiful for taking a stroll. the rooms are very average which appears to be typical of the disney moderates. hope this helps.

mike:Pinkbounc

many buildings were closed when we stayed there.

We have reservations for July 12 - 19 and have requested Oak Manor. Is one side of the resort closed or is it scattered?

Thanks for any info?

Kathy

KATHY,

ONE SIDE OF THE RESORT WAS CLOSED WHEN WE WENT. THE BAYOU PORTION FARTHEST FROM THE MAIN BUILDING WAS CLOSED. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE OTHER SIDE, BUT WOULD ASSUME THE SAME AS THAT ENTIRE PARKING LOT WAS EMPTY.

MIKE

What do you mean the "bayou portion" was closed? Do you mean all of Alligator Bayou or just parts of it? I have a ressie for may 7-13 and we have 5 people in our party and need the trundle bed in alligator bayou. thanks.
Kim

NOT ALL OF THE BAYOU PORTION WAS CLOSED ONLY THE PARTS FARTHEST FROM THE MAIN BUILDING. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER QUESTIONS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter