Just back from Magic 5/18 trip

srobin

Earning My Ears
I am writing this report to give our opinion of the trip. I am writing an honest account of what we though so I am giving both the negative and positive.

We are just back from the Magic. We were an extended family of 8 with adjoining rooms. We were five adults and three kids (9, 11, 14). This was the first cruise for all of us so we did not know quite what to expect. I have to time to write this now so this is going to be long. I may ramble and jump from topic to topic but am just going to write it as I think of it.

Our first sighting of the Magic was absolutely awesome she is indeed a beautiful ship. We arrived at the terminal around 11:00 or shortly before. We had to wait in line for approximately 30 minutes so that was not too bad. Everyone was very friendly. I do agree that the lines to board the ship are not very organized and if we had not figured out where to stand and gotten into the line when we did we would have had a very long wait. By 11:20 or so the line was all the way back to the doors. I thought security was very good when boarding the ship and at the different ports. When we got back to port caniveral and got ready to disembark the security was very lax. We were told we would need our birth certificates but they never ask for them and barely glanced at our i.d.

ROOMS:
We were able to go to our rooms immediately staterooms 6114 and 6112 so that was a plus. We were in a category 6 room with verandah. At first I thought the room was too small for 3 adults and a 11 year old. We quickly got used to it and had no problems. There was plenty of drawer space and the closet was quite large. Our staterooom attendant was Carl and I honestly hardly ever saw him. I don't think his english was very good as he did not talk very much. However our room was always well taken care of and he did an excellent job. We had towel animals every night ( I think he was in training for those) my brother was right next door and his towel animals were always much better.

Our staterooms were very convenient to everything or at least the things that mattered to me (just one floor from the kids clubs and one of the theaters) we did not have noise problems at all very quite. We overpacked will take much less on any future cruises.

WEATHER:
According to the captian's bridge report we had rough seas the first two days 8-13 ft waves although not nearly as bad as the past April cruisers. Thank heavens for that or I would have been in trouble. The movement of the boat was felt by everyone to some degree. My mom did not really feel it at all, the rest of us took dramine non-drowsy and did not have a problem. The only exception to this was Thursday night the boat was really rocking due to the wind conditions more than the waves and my 11 year old woke up in the middle of the night (he was on the top bunk) and got sick.

FOOD: I have never seen so much food in my life, everywhere I turned there was more food. We as a group thought the food was only ok. I have been to restaurants in the states that offered better food. The steaks were usually tough and I did not feel like the buffet's offered enought variety if you were a simple eater. I know alot of people like the Magic's food and some of it was ok but overall opinion is they could have done better.

Our server was Gabriella from Argentina and our assistant server was a little guy from Thiland can't pronounce his name much less spell it. The service we got was excellent!! The servers work so hard and such long hours. It is unbelievable the hours that Disney requires the servers to work. Our server told of days when she only got 4-5 hours off out of 24 and that was broken up. Someone in the gift shop told me that the servers and restaurant workers put in about 84 hours a week. It is amazing how they manage to keep smiling and giving you great service.
It was incredible how they met your every need. It will take some getting used to when I get home not to have my crumbs swept away.

Tips:
Anyone who even thinks of not tipping these hard working much deserving workers should be ashamed. Yes folks, it does happen. My brother saw someone who looked a little upset and ask why and he stated that he was short $250.00 because some family had shorted him his tips.

St. Martin:

We went on the See and Sea short excursion and the water part of the tour was good. We got an island tour of St. Martin and spent about 45 minutes to an hour on a semi-submarine and got to go under the water. We personally did not like St. Martin because it is very unattractive except for the water views and it is also very dirty and unappealing. I would not have wanted to walk around on my own. Disney would be doing their guests a service by dropping this port and picking another one maybe St. Croux or another of the U.S virgin islands.

St. Thomas:

We thought St. Thomas was excellent. It is absolutely beautiful
and I could have stayed there for weeks looking at the views. We took a taxi to Coki Beach $14.00 round trip for two people. The driver tried to strike a deal and wanted to drive us around all day but we thought he was too expensive $200.00 for the day for 8 people. We said no so when he picked us up from Coki beach he took the long way back and gave us a tour of some of the best viewing spots on the island. for no additional charge. It was incredible and yes he was probably trying to earn his tip at this point but it was well worth the extra couple of dollars.

Coki beach is the most beatiful water I have ever seen. As previously stated I could have stayed there forever. You could see straight through the water and there were lots of colorful fish. We went snorkling and fed the fish dog bisquits of all things. They came right up to you we also saw some nice coral. I highly recommend this beach. They were people renting beach umbrellas and chairs at a reasonable price.

I guess Coki beach spoiled me for Castaway Cay.

Castaway Cay:

I was very dissapointed in our experience. The weather was beautiful and so was the beach. I spent the money on the snorkle lagoon thinking it would be like Coki beach, clear water and lots of fish. The water was very cloudy and you could not see anything. The water at times looked dirty. We got a spot at the family beach and managed to get an umbrella, chair and hammock. If you want to swing this get there early and do not take the tram. Our kids love to swim and are usually hard to get out of the water. They also did not like the sea grass that is on the bottom. It felt squishy each time you stepped on it. Everyone was ready to go after about 2 1/2 hours. The BBQ was also quite good. The scenery and food were great the water was the only disappointment. Are the water conditions always this way?

Entertainment on Ship:

Pools:
Small, very small as stated on other posts. My son did not have any problem with it he is 11.However, you literally could not have swam if you tried. It was elbow to elbow people in the goofy pool.

Entertainment was overall good for the children especially the character appearances however there were usually long lines. For the adults it could use improvement. The navigator series is a good idea that they need to expand on. The making of the magic was especially good. In case anyone missed this the magic was made in two different halves then joined together.
Morty the magnificant was anything but in our opinion. Disney really could do better. Disney dreams was awesome and they need more shows of this caliber instad of Morty. We really enjoyed Disney dreams. Movies showing were The Rookie, Harry Potter, Big Trouble, Return of Neverland, Snowdogs, Tombraiders and a couple of others I can't remember.

Overall grade for this cruise: B

Would we cruise again? I think so but we will probably check out Carnival or one of the other cruise lines. I think my parents would have been happier with more ports of call instead of two days at sea. Any suggestions anyone?

To all upcoming cruisers Happy Sailing!!

Thank you for posting so quickly. I know I appreciate it as we leave for our first cruise June 1st. I am glad the weather held up for Castaway Cay. Maybe the weather had something to do with stirring up the water?

You stated you packed way too much. What would you have done differently? How did you get to Port Canaveral? We are taking the DCL bus since it is our first time and we are staying at the MCO Hyatt as we fly in at midnight.

Do you think St. Martin would have been a better experience if you toured yourself? We are planning to do St. Martin and St. Thomas ourselves doing the beach & some shopping things.

Did your teen go to Common Grounds? If so, did he/she enjoy it and do activities with the group? How did your 9 & 11 year olds like the clubs if they went? I have a DD13 DD 10 and I am very curious for my teen.

Again thank you for your prompt posts. I have been looking for someone to post.

I'll try to answer your questions. In regards to packing I would in the future just pack a dressy outfit and some slacks. It is best to pack things that you can mix and match. I took a long black skirt and a pair of black dress pants. It was mainly my mom who packed too much. I think she took half her closet. Even with that we had enough closet space to hold clothes for the four of us. Bring extra hangers because DCL does not give you enough. It might have been possible to get more but we did not ask. We drove from Tampa to Port Canaveral. It was very easy to find and well marked. It's a toll road so you have to pay several tolls. I believe that DCL will transport you from your hotel to the port.

My niece who is 14 went to common grounds and participated in some group activities. She liked it ok and stayed in common grounds some of the time. Most of the time I think her and some friends she met cruised the ship.

St. Martin would have been better for us if we had just gone to one of the nice beaches. I would not venture off the the beaten path so to speak and would go to a populated spot. As I said before it is not a very clean town and I don't know about the crime rate etc. It is probably better to ask someone who has been numerous times. It might be that looks are deceiving and it is not as bad as I thought. We did enjoy our submarine tour. We only got about 1 hour of shopping time on the french side and they had some nice things. You are able to barter to an extent for a better price.

My eleven year old went to the Oceaneer's lab several times and
enjoyed the k-nex and some of the computer stuff. He played chess a couple of times. He spent most of his time in the pool. He was bored with some of the activities that the club had planned.

If you go to the St. Thomas Beaches I do recommend Coki beach (it is a rather small beach but the water is excellent for snorkling) we heard that Trunk Bay is also great.

If I can answer any more of your questions let me know. We did have nice weather the whole cruise except for some wind. Keep an open mind about Castaway Cay as most people seem to enjoy it. It might have just been a bad water day for us. Overall it was nice but I just did not like the sea grass under my feet and the cloudiness of the water. I hope you have a great cruise. You will feel very spoiled and pampered before you get off of the ship.
I will say this also, if your kids like to drink cokes. pepsi etc you should invest in the mugs. Drinks cost around 1.50 - 1.75 each plus the tip if you purchase seperately. You can only get soft drinks at dinner time in the evening for free. At lunch your choices are milk, white and chocolate, some fruit punch (we thought it was terrible it seemed to have an after taste to it) or tea. Our mugs were included in a Triple AAA package we had . They are normally $35.00 each.

We are still deciding on the mugs as my daughters are only allowed 1 soda a day but it is vacation so I don't know if we will change our minds.

Did you go to Palos and if so which--dinner, brunch, high tea. Please tell me how making reservations were.

Did you try any of the spa offerings? If so, which did you try?

Thanks for your info.

I was on the 5/18 cruise, too. The tide appeared to be very low when we were at Castaway Cay, so that contributed to the murky water. Nothing much anyone can do about that.

Also, if you really want to snorkel and see things, you need to go out to the bouys marked A, B, C, etc. They are quite a ways out, but that's where the action is. Once you get out there, the water is deeper.

There isn't much fish diversity at Castaway Cay. That's just the way it is. You mostly go to look at the stuff that Disney has placed out there.

For me, the snorkeling highlights were two special things (I don't want to spoil the surprises). As I recall, one was before bouy A, toward the middle of the snorkel area. It's BIG, and there are floating ropes around it to keep people from climbing all over it. You'll know it when you find it.

The second is just past bouy A, on the way to bouy B.

Also, I saw a BIG fish (someone told me it was a grouper) about 2 1/2 feet across. He was sitting in a big dish of sorts. I got a picture of him.

Tx Shelly, I did not go to Palos but my brother and his wife did. They went to dinner one night and really enjoyed it. My brother said it was a four course meal and he had so much food he did not think he could finish the meal. I think they had some sort of duck. I believe he made reservations the first afternoon aboard and he did not have any problems. He went pretty early. We did not go to the spa due to a limited amount of spending money but I believe from what I have read it could only be great.

I'm glad I not the only one who thought the water was murky at Castaway Cay. I was beginning to think we imagined it. I am also beginning to think I am the only person in the world who did not like this water.

Do you think swim-shoes would have helped the kids? Or was it so long it wrapped their legs?

We're going in July and DDs 7 and 11 are pretty skiddish about open water.

We're also using AAA, glad to hear the mugs are there.

Thanks for all the info srobin!

Originally posted by srobin
Bring extra hangers because DCL does not give you enough. It might have been possible to get more but we did not ask... Our mugs were included in a Triple AAA package we had . They are normally $35.00 each.

Srobin, thanks for the extra hangers tip, I wouldn't have thought of that! Did AAA also provide a gift basket for you in your staterooms? If so, what was in it? Did y'all happen to rent any of the paddle boats or bikes at Castaway Cay?

BTW, we moved away from B'ham almost 2 years ago (lived in Hoover in Russet Woods) and wish we could get back there! Lucky you!

GoodStepMom

I must have been tired by the time we got to Castaway Cay becasue I did not even think of the swim shoes. It would have solved the sea grass problem. It did not appear to be long I only felt it when my feet were touching the bottom but it was squishy to me.

ZooMommy

We did not have a gift basket from AAA. My brother booked throught AAA of Florida. I did not rent any of the paddle boats or bikes. The boats I saw looked like fun and they also had some other kind of boats. Did you husband or you get transferred somewhere else? Just curious as to why you left B'ham. I live in the Northeast part of B'ham. I hope you have a great cruise and lots of fun.

I was on the 5/18 cruise too! I agree about the food, I thought it was just okay also. Breakfast was really not good, in my opinion. It got so all I would eat was the oatmeal. You must have been going to Topsiders for lunch every day, if all you could get was fruit punch to drink. We ate lunch in Lumiere's each day and were able to get free soda; we also had them fill our mugs for us when we were ready to leave. I'm sorry you didn't like the cruise more. We liked it a lot and we have already booked the Western for next year.

Originally posted by srobin
ZooMommy

We did not have a gift basket from AAA. My brother booked throught AAA of Florida. I did not rent any of the paddle boats or bikes. The boats I saw looked like fun and they also had some other kind of boats. Did you husband or you get transferred somewhere else? Just curious as to why you left B'ham. I live in the Northeast part of B'ham. I hope you have a great cruise and lots of fun.

Thanks for the good wishes, srobin! We wish we could go tomorrow! I don't know that we'll get the paddle boats, but my 6yo son wants to go bike riding while on Castaway Cay. I just hope we can get a hammock so I can park myself for a while!

My husband was transferred up here to Chicago; now we all want to move back to the South! We miss "our" hills! We hope to get down that way sometime in June for a visit, wish we could stay there....

We are also just back from the 5/18 Magic. We were also first time cruisers, we absolutely loved every minute of it! The food, the service, the rooms, the shows, everything. We are going to cruise again in a few years and will only cruise Disney. I know we will be disappointed in any other cruise line.

BTW, I couldn't sleep at all on Thursday night because of the rocking of the boat!

I just wanted to clarify for everyone since my trip report was written in a hurry and may give the impression that we hated the cruise. We did enjoy our cruise and had a good time. We just felt that a few of the things I mentioned could have been better (the food choices a couple of the shows and St. Martin). I have read other posts where other people also think St. Martin is a poor choice for ports. How do you get Disney's attention and get them to consider changing it? We will cruise again and I may choose the western Disney cruise. It will depend on the budget etc. I don't think for a minute that you can beat the service we received it was excellent and we were spoiled by the time we got off the ship.

thanks for the report and clarification. On the water issue at CC, I have read that if you get there after the crowd, that the people also stir up the sand and makes it very murky. I am hoping to get off the ship right away and do the snorkel thing early. Also want to get over to Serenity Bay and try to find the sunken items there.

Thanks again for the info! Glad you had a great cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter