Just Back from FABULOUS Aulani! PARADISE!

jerseygal

DIS Veteran
THANKS to all for the wonderful trip tips that made this trip even more special and easier!:thumbsup2
Trip included my husband, 1 adult son, 27 and younger son, 18 who had just graduated from high school days earlier! party: Eldest son lives out of the house now so I feel SO BLESSED that we could experience this incredible vacation together! :dance3:
Very HAPPY with our 2 BR lo, Long Wing Ewa Tower, Island View, 10th Floor, Rooms 1077 and 1079! Although an Island View Category, awesome view of the ocean, overlooked Starlit Hui, beautiful wedding chapel to the right. So impressed with the CM's who were always so pleasant and friendly! Resort was immaculate!
Didn't have any problem getting an umbrella on the beautiful beach with chairs!:beach: LOVED the adult hot tub and the adult pool where it was so quiet. Lounge chairs at the adult pool were so comfy. So cool to look out over the ocean while in the 2 level hot tub!
Highlights of the trip were Kualoa Ranch and Pearl Harbor Arizona Memorial which we did on weekend days to avoid traffic. We signed up in advance on the Kualoa Ranch website(got 10% off) for the Full Day Adventure with ATV which consisted of 1 Hr ATV, Ocean Voyage Tour, Movie Tour, and Jungle Expedition. Each activity was 1 hr long. We all LOVED the ATV which we were first time riders. The views of the mountains and ocean were INCREDIBLE as was the views from the Ocean Voyage Tour which was on a Catamaran! A good barbecue was included midday which consisted of delicious ribs and chicken, rice, salad, cold drinks, chili, sweet pineapple, pineapple cake,. ATV was our 3rd activity and prepare to HAVE FUN and get DIRTY! After Pearl Harbor, we had a lunch reservation at Dukes in Waikiki, at the Outrigger Waikiki which was SO GOOD! Lovely tableside view of the ocean! It was a fun change to experience more waves than the protected lagoon at Aulani. A lot of high end shopping in Waikiki. Next trip we will stay 2 nights possibly in Wailiki before Aulani to experience the many choices of restaurants and the hotel "strip" scence.... Very busy as it was a Sunday!
Food in Hawaii is EXPENSIVE, but I was prepared for that thanks to the tips!
Nachos were SO GOOD at Dukes. We parked at the Ohana East Hotel for the afternoon, about a block and a half away from Dukes. Dukes validates parking for up to 3 hours and we paid the difference of about $6 which was very reasonable. Had a GREAT meal at Dukes!:yay:
While at Aulani, for dinners, ate twice at Monkeypod, once on property at Ama Ama( beautiful table and incredible view of the sunset), twice at Chucks Steak House(at Marriot Ko Alina Vacation Villas), FABULOUS FRESH SALAD BAR, once at Roys(portions SMALL)at Ko Alina Golf Club, once at LeNonne Italian in Kapolei. All were GREAT except for LeNonne(don't bother...husband and older son had a fettachine with chicken which were good, but younger son and I had chicken parm and a ziti type of dish with red sauce which tasted like ragu from a jar)!
Did poolside dining for lunches at Aulani, chicken strips and delicious coconut shrimp at Mamas Snack Stop which were all good, and Pizza Corner across the street by Monkeypods which was very good NY type pizza! Food on property for lunch in my opinion was not that outrageous. All dinners were on expensive side, but I was prepared for that. First night for groceries for the morning, went to ABC store across street because we were so exhausted from traveling..., bought juice, milk, bagels, eggs, cereal, and bananas, very expensive. Prices were much better at Walmart or Safeway, which we did for the remainder of the week. Ate one breakfast out at Koa Pancake House in Kapolei right by Safeway which was EXCELLENT! Excellent blueberry and macadamia nut pancakes, but portions were HUGE! Could have split with my husband!
At AmaAma two of us had the ny sirloin which was EXCELLENT and two had the Catch of the Day which was also very good! For celebrating my sons graduation, they served him with a gratis dessert and the three of us shared a Crème Catalana which was very good! Portions good size at Ama Ama and waiter very good!
Husband and older son golfed at Ko Alina Golf Club...They are good golfers and said the course was great and the views were beautiful! EXPENSIVE though...I got one round discounted through e mail at $139, second round was $179 for Aulani guests, club rentals $55 each...With tax $448 day, which is high, but they said the course was AWESOME!:yay:
Both sons shared a paddleboard at Aulani beach, did half hour each.. Had fun doing that.. DVC discount, 10% off the rate of $30 for the hour.
Purchased a lovely coral color Aulani sweatshirt at the gift shop and my husband purchased a long sleeve navy Aulani warmup type of jacket in the other clothing shop on the lobby level, 10% DVC discount which was nice. Have picture license for ID with you while using DVC card...
Sons purchased souveneirs and t shirts at the ABC Store in Waikiki...lots of t shirt type stores there...ABC store probably has the same merchandise across the street from Aulani.
We all used the fitness center which we enjoyed!:thumbsup2 Very NICE!:yay:
Husband and I did a lot of walking on the beautiful path along the ocean toward Ko Alina Marriott Villas. Don't miss the AWESOME VIEW of the mountains alongside the JW Marriott Hotel path to the right of Aulani...Go down a slight drop path and the view is INCREDIBLE!!! WOW! There was a family having pictures taken there with the beautiful views on the rocks!
So nice seeing all the beautiful brides and couples getting married on the beach all day also! :cheer2:
Loved having the rental car with a lot of room for our tall boys. .Rented a mini van from Budget at the airport for the week.
Had a red eye from airport at 8:10PM so we enjoyed our last day of paradise at the beach and pools!:beach: Evidentally, procedure must have changed in the day/locker room as you are given a ONE TIME entry card by Concierge to use which allows you to go in, use showers(only 3 I believe in ladies room) and change for flight. They told us lockers are for a 1/2 hour designed to "use while showering". They told us that maintenance staff empties lockers after a half hour so that everyone has access to lockers. We went into day room at 4:00PM and it was starting to get busy! In my opinion, they should have more than 3 showers considering the size of Aulani.
Met SO MANY nice people while at the resort, many were DVC members! Enjoyed speaking and sharing the beauty of Aulani! Shout out to the nice family from Red Bank, NJ! What a coincidence!
CAN'T WAIT TO RETURN, hopefully for our 40th Anniversary in 9 years! Next time, it will be my husband and I and we will do 2 nights in Waikiki and maybe 6 at beautiful Aulani! Might consider Maui too!
Glad we did the NONSTOP on United from Newark instead of a layover. We all agreed we would rather "gut out the long flight" at one time, rather a layover. Time passed watching movies and television, reading, and trying to rest. A few people suggested pricing Hawaiian Air from JFK next time!
Hope that when we return for our 40th that there are a few more restaurant choices that are either on property or nearby!
Only downside was third day, I had an allergic reaction in my eye to "something". By end of third day, was VERY RED! Aulani CM's recommended Kunia Urgent Care Center in Waipahu which we were VERY PLEASED with. Wait was minimal, very professional, and the doctor was great and board certified! Gave me antibiotic ointment with steroid to reduce inflammation and my eye was clear the next day! My trip insurance came in handy as the trip insurance will reimburse our deductible from our Cigna primary health insurance and any other unreimbursed medical costs. Visit would not have been cheap as Kunia Urgent Care charged $255 for the office visit. Obviously, would have had no choice, but having the trip insurance to reimburse anyway made it nice.
Very PLEASED whenever I dialed the front desk from the room, the CM's picked up practically on the 2nd ring! Very efficient!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
We had a GREAT TIME at Aulani! :cheer2::dance3: Loved the fact that it was sunny everyday and NO HUMIDITY AT ALL! Perfect weather, only rained for 2 hours midday one of the days!
I hope that anyone going in the future has an awesome vaca at Aulani!Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:cheer2:

Can't believe you're back already!!! That went fast!! Glad you had fun!! Can you add some pictures when you have time?! We leave 2 months (from yesterday) for our stop at DL (3 nights) before heading to Aulani. I started thinking about what to pack yesterday when I realized it was only 2 months away.:rotfl: Did you go to the North Shore at all?? I think we are going to plan to do surf lessons up there one morning then hit the shrimp trucks for lunch. I am considering adding the Kualoa Ranch thing in although I'd think I'd rather find a zip line excursion somewhere either on Oahu or Maui. Did you like the Ranch tour enough that you'd say you'd do it again?!

I am planning on eating once at Roy's and Monkey Pod but thought for the money we'd probably skip Ama Ama. Is Monkey Pod pretty casual (like are shorts OK)? Did you think Ama Ama was worth the cost? Someone else told me they spent like a little over $200 for their family of 3 and I nearly choked! We've stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki and eaten at Duke's before. Not sure if we'll make it there this time or not. We are probably going to go into Waikiki after Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri but to hit the Hard Rock Cafe so our DS can get his "local ledgendary burger" and a t-shirt for his Hard Rock collection. Since you went to Chuck's at the Marriott twice I take it that it was either 1) better or 2) cheaper?!

Shorts are fine at Monkeypod, very casual. Both times, we had the FISH AND CHIPS...Unbelievable Mahi Mahi!!! SO GREAT!!! Wings were very good also! All of us loved our EXCELLENT entrees at AmaAma, service was great, a memorable evening. We had a 6:15PM booked, got seated immediately with a view of the sunset.. INCREDIBLE sunset by 7:00PM..Was surprised to see that many people were dressed very casually at AmaAma, but we dressed up a bit.

YES, YES Kualoa Ranch was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip! AWESOME...So happy that we were able to do it.. An early morning as check in is by 8:00AM...We pulled out of Aulani at I believe 6:50 "just in case" on a Saturday morning.

All of us LOVE a great salad bar so we all LOVED Chucks! Everything was SO FRESH! Served hot bread on the salad bar, some fruit, as well as soup! Chucks is not inexpensive either, but well worth it in our opinion. Filet was excellent there as was the shrimp scampi! Setting there was LOVELY! There is more patio/outdoor seating which we did than indoors. Servers were GREAT both times!:cool1:

Enjoy your planning! :) I am SURE that you will LOVE IT! :thumbsup2

I was speaking with a few people from outside LA and they said that most schools are out today there. I would imagine that Aulani will start to get busy now through the rest of the summer.

Was contemplating doing North Shore the day after Kualoa Ranch, but decided instead to enjoy the beautiful resort!

Two families that we met, raved about Giovannis. We all LOVE garlic shrimp..
We will do that next time!

Enjoy!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Shorts are fine at Monkeypod, very casual. Both times, we had the FISH AND CHIPS...Unbelievable Mahi Mahi!!! SO GREAT!!! Wings were very good also! All of us loved our EXCELLENT entrees at AmaAma, service was great, a memorable evening. We had a 6:15PM booked, got seated immediately with a view of the sunset.. INCREDIBLE sunset by 7:00PM..Was surprised to see that many people were dressed very casually at AmaAma, but we dressed up a bit.

YES, YES Kualoa Ranch was the HIGHLIGHT of our trip! AWESOME...So happy that we were able to do it.. An early morning as check in is by 8:00AM...We pulled out of Aulani at I believe 6:50 "just in case" on a Saturday morning.

All of us LOVE a great salad bar so we all LOVED Chucks! Everything was SO FRESH! Served hot bread on the salad bar, some fruit, as well as soup! Chucks is not inexpensive either, but well worth it in our opinion. Filet was excellent there as was the shrimp scampi! Setting there was LOVELY! There is more patio/outdoor seating which we did than indoors. Servers were GREAT both times!:cool1:

Enjoy your planning! :) I am SURE that you will LOVE IT! :thumbsup2

I was speaking with a few people from outside LA and they said that most schools are out today there. I would imagine that Aulani will start to get busy now through the rest of the summer.

So "fish & chips" at monkey pod is mahi mahi!?!? Cool. We will love that. And if shorts are good there that will help with my packing! So how long did it really take to get to this ranch? I am pretty sure DH won't want me to plan too many early mornings. I booked Pearl Harbor for 8:45 on a Sunday...and I know we will have to get up early to go to the north shore. When we go to Maui I want to go up to Haleakala for sunrise which means getting up at like 2:30 (I may end up going alone). Do you have to wear jeans or long pants for the ranch??

On the ATV, I wore very light long pants, but the rest of the family wore shorts. I think that the Ranch suggests long pants because the bottom where you put your feet of the ATV gets a little hot, sort of like pedals, so I guess that protection on your legs with socks may be a little better. Closed toe shoes are MANDATORY! It can be hot, so sunscreen too! We left about 1 hr 10 min to get there...I think it took between 55 minutes and 1 hr...

We left about 55 minutes to get to Pearl Harbor...We LOVED the Arizona Memorial...Very MOVING!

Also, since helmets are mandatory obviously, I had read a tip to ask for plastic shower caps to wear under the helmet since they are used by so many people!
Glad we did! We originally thought that there would be about 8 in our group, but they split the large group in two guides and our family of four was with one guide.

HAVE FUN! YOU WILL LOVE IT!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Was contemplating doing North Shore the day after Kualoa Ranch, but decided instead to enjoy the beautiful resort! Two families that we met, raved about Giovannis. We all LOVE garlic shrimp.. We will do that next time! Enjoy!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Hey fellow Jersey gal! Loved your trip report!! I am awake but in bed since the rest of my family is still sleeping...today we leave Aulani and Head back to NJ.

That's funny that you got the same sweatshirt!

Sounds like you had a GREAT TIME with your family in Aulani! Maui sounds beautiful!:beach:
Next trip, a few years away, we would like to possibly go to Maui. Any suggestions on accomodations? Would probably be for 2 or 3 nights, probably husband and I only this trip.

Diamond Head sounds great. Wasn't Kualoa Ranch awesome? Such beautiful scenery!!!

Hope you had a good flight back. Our family didn't seem to have any problem adjusting to the time difference while in Hawaii, but we seem to be "dragging" a little trying to catch up!

Where was your favorite place to eat?

Jerseygal-
Great trip report.
We just secured the last night of a 10-Night reservation at AULANI.:cool1:
It will be our first visit there. I was happy to get a 7-month ressie; we're going the first week in January, 2015, in a 1-BR Island Garden View.

I will be reading all the Aulani trip reports I can find between now & then.
I also have a place-holder rental car reservation.
I'm thinking it cheaper in the long run, and more convenient than public transportation ??

ET:)

Wow, when the east coast is COLD, you will be having hopefully AWESOME WEATHER!:beach: Glad that you were able to book at 7 mos!!!:thumbsup2

If you are going to Aulani for 10 days, couldn't imagine NOT having a car!
This will allow you to do some fun "off property" trips!

ENJOY planning and your trip!:dance3:

Great Trip report with lots of useful information:thumbsup2

We (me, DD21 and DS14) are going to be in Aulani 3 weeks from now and if our trip is half as good as yours sounds then it will be fabulous:goodvibes

Glad you had a great time at Kualoa - we have booked 2 tours (movie and jungle) and would have loved to do the ATV but my son is too young for that...hmm going to have to look at the ocean voyage now- yours sounded so good!

Have only booked one dining reservation so far and that's at Ama Ama on July 4th before sunset - just wanted to know we had somewhere to eat that night as I expect everywhere will be pretty busy. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your meal there as it is expensive and can't wait to try it. I will also try and check out some of the others you mentioned.

There are so many things we want to do while we are at Aulani but we need to spend some time at the resort too just relaxing. It's so hard trying to figure out must-dos when it will likely be our one and only visit so reading TRs like yours is very helpful- thank you!

Your "older" kids will LOVE Aulani as mine did!:thumbsup2

Forgot to mention, mine loved the body slide too!:cool1:

We all loved relaxing in the lazy river as well....Just enjoyed the BEAUTY of the resort!

Would imagine that you too have a LONG flight! Oh well, I guess "a necessary evil"...So WORTH it though!

We were very pleased with AmaAma. When I get a moment, I will try to post a few pics including the sunset from AmaAma! Just gorgeous! I was "on the fence" about going to AmaAma, but very glad that I did for one meal! I would keep your reservation definitely as it will probably be busy during that time!

HOPE THAT YOU ENJOY! Aloha!:thumbsup2

Great report. I am so happy your trip went well...and you got your room request. The Kualoa Ranch tour sounds amazing.
Beautiful pictures too. Can't wait to see Aulani in person.

Does anyone know if Aulani does anything special for July 4th? We have done the 4th in Waikiki so do not really want to drive anywhere to enjoy fireworks. I am hoping there will be something near by for us to go to or on site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter