• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back from 5 day at Disneyland here are my thoughts/reviews

Well, I must respectfully disagree that you need to have the expectations of a regular hotel with a big price. The only Disney theme you'll find offsite is the brochures in the lobby! LOL We've also found that yes a lot of the offsite rooms are very cheaply priced, but that you also get exactly what you pay for!

The Disneyland Hotel's rooms is themed with Disney. From the bedspread, the TV cabinet, the Tinkerbell wall paper border, the paintings (we had Cinderella painting last year) to the bathroom (lamps are held by Mickey hands), and supplies. Outside of the rooms are the Peter Pan themed pool, not to mention the beautiful Koi ponds. Hopefully they'll bring back the water show, which was very themed with Disney music and light up Characters. To yes the gift shops. The big Mickey Hat and Statue. To the restaurants. No place I've stayed offsite had a Goofy's Kitchen, or a Hook's Point. You might be lucky to have a Denny's next door. The perks, including being connected right there to DTD. Views in some rooms, that you wouldn't have offsite. Having EE for more then one day. Taking the monorail back to your room at night. Being able to wake up in the morning and just go downstairs for your Character Breakfast. Having the Disney service, which we found to be very good 24/7. And also important IMO feeling safe walking back to our room at night.

Now as far as expectations. The best advice I think is that, and what I think is the reason people come to this board. Is research! Do your homework. If you have very detailed expectations of what exactly you want in a place to stay, then there is plenty of info on the web. Links are even provided on this site, with lots of pictures of just about anything to do with the hotel. The rooms, it's size and decor, the pools, and of course pricing. From what I've seen the room pictures online are exactly what you'll see when you get there. If you don't like what you see online, then of course it's best to look elsewhere. Look at all the reviews, from several sites. We always research a hotel before staying, when planning our vacations. This way you know exactly what to expect, and if it's worth the money.

Obviously staying onsite won't be best for everyone. It does depend on what you are looking for, and of course budget wise. But I would have to disagree that any of the hotels onsite are just "regular hotels". JMHO

Thanks for another constuctive critique :thumbsup2 , I am also here for the research. Our lact stay at DLH is probably 15 years ago, or so ago, way before any new DCA or DD. I can only remember how icky the surrounding area of Disneyland used to be. Lately we have been going to WDW because our DD was a cm at Polynesian Hotel. We have stayed at several different on site hotels there , all differently themed, all with great experiences. I am trying to figure out what to expect at DLH , and how to plan the best at this hotel. We really dont want to change our ressie. :confused3

mermaidlagoon said:
Thanks for another constuctive critique :thumbsup2 , I am also here for the research. Our lact stay at DLH is probably 15 years ago, or so ago, way before any new DCA or DD. I can only remember how icky the surrounding area of Disneyland used to be. Lately we have been going to WDW because our DD was a cm at Polynesian Hotel. We have stayed at several different on site hotels there , all differently themed, all with great experiences. I am trying to figure out what to expect at DLH , and how to plan the best at this hotel. We really dont want to change our ressie. :confused3

:thumbsup2 Glad to hear that your researching, and getting views from all different experiences. I really think that's the best way to end up not being disappointed with where you stay.

I don't think there is any right or wrong, just different view points, and experiences. We have not had much luck staying offsite. Infact I'd agree with you on the "icky" part of some surrounding areas. We used to be the type to just go and stay where ever off site. It was just a room, a bed and bathroom is all we needed. But after several awful stays offsite, we learned to do our homework. And have found our best experiences to be staying onsite!

Oh another thing we found really cool. There is also an area where they have old pictures of Disneyland, famous people who have visited over the years, lots of Walt himself. And of the hotel in it's early days. It takes up both sides of an area in a hall way. Also an area of old souviners! Which I found interesting, I can remember having some of those in the 80's! Anyway I hope you enjoy your stay there, we'll be there as of Sunday! :love:

Okay, I didn't mean to offend here with my thoughts on the DLH. I too did my research. I asked tons of questions here and elsewhere. I think the thing that would have helped me more would have been to do what I did today and that was a Google image search. That would have better prepared me for what our room was like. The wallpaper and the bedspread to me were just not so obvious Disney that we almost missed them. We weren't in the room much though as we were in the park. The grounds we didn't spend much time on and obviously we missed seeing some of the items there that would have added to the enchantment of the property. The photos and the memorable are there thank you for pointing that out I had forgotten that. We did appreciate the Goffey Kitchen being so close. We didn't get in DL any earlier then others I guess we didn't know how to work that feature to our advantage so research that so you get the benefit of that feature. We did go in early and stood in the crowd on Main Street. Hooks Point was cool but so crowded as I stated earlier that that may have lost some of the fun for us. I think you have to not count on any one thing being great and then you won't be disappointed. If you go for the pool and it is bad then you feel like you didn't get what you came for but if you come for all the aspects of the DLH then you will be happy.

I guess we were just lucky at our off site hotel that we felt like it was clean affordable and we never once felt unsafe walking back even at closing time as we were with a crowd of others who had stayed late at DL. The distance we walked from HoJO to the entrance of Disneyland was equal to the walk from DLH to the entrance if we chose not to take the monorail which we did a couple of times since the lines were so long at the backpack check and the bordering area.

I agree 100% research and research some more. I thought I knew what we were getting and then I didn't in the end. I wish I would have seen the Google photos, why I didn't look there I don't know. I think that would have helped me better to know what the room would have looked like. I would have stayed there still but not been so surprised by what the room was decorated. Ask questions and you will know what you are getting into better then I did.

Diana

Oh you didn't offend at all. I just wanted to give my experiences and opinions on staying there. So that anyone trying to decide they had a few different experiences to read from. I know I always appreciate that when trying to find somewhere to stay. I wasn't trying to say you were wrong at all either. It was the experience you had going, which is just as valid as anyone else.

We've been there several times, and have kinda worked out when the pool area and such is less crowded. It's nice because we take our breaks when the parks are at their fullest, and then go back when everyone else is heading back to the hotel. But even then during the Summer hot months it's always possible that the pools are going to be crowded. Off season in like the nice spring time is better for that I think.

But you are right! Research is very key! :)

OK..This is the "DH" for Mermaidlagoon. So she says can you show me how to do Google Images? (She is a newbie to computers) I show her and the next thing I know is she wants to stay in the "Princess Diaries Suite" at the Disneyland Hotel. I want to thank you from the bottom of my wallet for all your help!!! :sad2: [Just kidding.]

To funny! :rotfl: I'll have to go google those images myself now and see if my DH wants to saty there! :wave2:

Diana

:grouphug: Hey Jen ....Have a great time on your upcoming trip!!! We will all be thinking of you , and please write a trip report as soon as possible on this thread. Diana :Pinkbounc thanks for the tip about google images.. :thumbsup2 . I learn something new everday from you guys! .......But I do wonder..... maybe that "Princess Diaries Suite has THE closet from the movie!!!! :wizard: The one with the shoes and the incredible jewelry drawers!!!! Just maybe my dear DH will let ME stay there then.....and he and kids can stay in other room , ahhhh relaxing mom dream moment.... :rotfl2: .Hey Jen check out the old souvenier wall for us and see if they have any of the original kid wathes, OK? :yay:

Thanks, were so excited! I'll be sure to check out to see if the watches are there. I'll snap a picture for you! :)

And I like your idea about a suite for Mom! Hmmmm, I wonder if it's too late to do that! j/k! I'll be sure to post a report when we get back!

We are also just back from 5 days at the DH and we had the complete opposite experience. Our room had Tinkerbelle across the border that lit up at night, sketches of rides and wood engravings from the park throughout the room. It wasn't overdone, but it was there. We were in the Sierra Tower, 8th floor DD view which was the recommendation I got from here and it was fantastic! We could see the fireworks from our room and enjoyed DD all the time. We had two 3 year olds and 3 adults and we had plenty of room. I am OCD about germs and I had no problem with the girls touching anything or crawling all over.
When we checked in we told them about the birthday and that evening we got a special delivery messege for the girls. When we went to get it, we found that Pooh, Tigger, Hook, Peter Pan, etc. had signed pictures for them. I didn;t know why the CM had asked who their favorites were, but now I know! It was a wonderful touch and they kept thanking the characters for their pictures everytime we saw them in the park.
We stayed at the GC lst trip and I would have no problem staying at either place again. I just know I won't be staying off property because it is just too convenient with naptime.

Thanks for the informative review. I didn't realize that when you pm'd me your question regarding why I find the DLH the most Disneyish that you had recently stayed there with a less than stellar experience! My response must have made you wonder! I just want to say that the DLH is expensive and not for everyone. But then I guess every hotel is that way. For example, our stay at the HoJo was a big letdown simply because after reading all the glowing reviews on tripadvisor and the dis, I was expecting something way better than what we got. We will likely never stay there again not because we hated it but because the disappointment we experienced just somewhat soured our experience. Bascially research is great and in my opinion necessary for any vacation, but in the end only one's personal experience can be the true test. Glad you had such fun in the parks, Disneyland is truly the Happiest Place on Earth! Oh and the Tinkerbelle wallpaper only lights up if you keep the drapes open so it can charge up from the light. We have varying degrees of "glowing" during our five stays at the DLH, I think it depends on how much natural direct sunlight your room receives.

I appreciate your email and honesty. I am also glad to hear you had researched a place and then sorry to say found it a disappointment. I spent months researching our stays and packages. This was a big investment for us and of course I wanted it to be perfect LOL. At times I felt like I didn't research enough yet I know I read many many threads here and at trip advisor to the point of brain exhaustion and confusion! LOL I wish I had known about the drapes we would have done that. Maybe a simple postcard with directions under the glass on the desk for guest. :)

Diana

Ignore my darling husband. I told him to get his own log in name. He won't.

Now back to the business at hand. I don't think anyone is offended on this thread. All this information is very valuable. I think that evryone's experience will help us have a great and magical time.
We are very much alike.

I'll check back later. I have to talk to someone about a certain suite! ;)

mermaidlagoon said:
Ignore my darling husband. I told him to get his own log in name. He won't.

Now back to the business at hand. I don't think anyone is offended on this thread. All this information is very valuable. I think that evryone's experience will help us have a great and magical time.
We are very much alike.

I'll check back later. I have to talk to someone about a certain suite! ;)

I agree, nothing to be offended about! Were all just trying to have the best vacations possible! That's what it's all about right! :)

Good luck getting the suite! That would be so much fun. I'm off to pack! :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter