Just back from 5 day at Disneyland here are my thoughts/reviews

dianaore

Mouseketeer
We just returned from 5 days a DL June 25-29th

Okay first thanks to all you guys here who helped me plan my trip. :thumbsup2 We had a wonderful time and built a lot of great family memories. I learned a lot and we are already talking about when we go back. I learned a lot to along the way at DL. I thought I'd post those things for any newbies like me who might like to know where we went right :Pinkbounc and wrong. :sad2: Here goes!

We got a AAA package which was great! Love the fast pass and wouldn't go to DL without it. :cool1: We were in the park on a 5 day hopper pass, we spent 57 hours a total of 11.5 per day. We rode 84 rides and saw 4 parades and fireworks 4 nights though we never sat for them. The seats for fireworks began being snagged as early as 7:30..2 hours before the show!

POTC opened the day were were there and it was a mess!!. pirate: Lines were starting in the Main street and wove all over the the place. We did get on it once after a shorter wait then the projected 2-3 hours. I was a bit disappointed as I recalled the one large drop being more exciting then the 2 medium size drops but then I am recalling the POTC from 20 years ago. It is still good but I sure though the old drop was more of a trill. Indiana was a mess as it was closed so often with break downs. :confused3 We only rode it once. Splash MT was great though the lines were so long. Even for the fast pass lines were long just to get the tickets. FP tickets for space mt sold out by early to mid afternoon so we learned to hang around that area to get the FP often. We rode Space Mt 8 times in the 5 days! Loved it every time!! :cool1:

Thunder Mt was a blast and we got a great video of the ride on the ride! :Pinkbounc

Characters were out though we missed seeing some of the old favorites like the 7 dwarfs, Peter Pan , Tinkerbell and then the new ones like Mike and Sully and then Flick and Ata. We can't complain we got autographs of 20 characters and most were approachable.

Lots of crowd control going on the whole time we were there. CM telling us to stay to the right and roping off the passageways. Really bad before the parades and fireworks. I'd say if you are not watching those pick a land and stay put.

We did the Goofy's kitchen and it was fun and the food selection was wide. We didn't get the character interaction we though we would get. Fairy Godmother and Mad Hatter and Chip and Dale. Chip had a chip on his should and seemed rude to the boys but they let it go. Goofy never made it to our table though we waited well past our meal being finished. Cinderella was also floating but never made it to our table. Max we saw in passing but that was all.

Food inside the park was out of this world! :sad2: 6:00 for a corn dog or slice of pizza but we paid it along with 2.50 for bottled water. Almost all water out of the drinking fountains was warm and tasted nasty!

EE and PS were a bust for us. :sad2: We didn't notice that the EE is only good on certain days so we missed out really getting to use it as the available days had passed in our 5 day stay. PS didn't mean much when we went 30 min before Aladdin they told us and many other unhappy guest that the 150 PS seats had already been given away and we should come at least 60-90 mins before the show if we wanted to use them. We didn't need the PS for Muppet's :thumbsup2 and didn't have time for Bug Life or Dreams..to busy catching rides. :cool1:

We stayed at the HJ and loved it. :sunny: Wrote a great review for it on Trip advisor.
We also stayed at the DL Hotel. My review for that is not a good one at all: :sad2: Hree it is:

If you are a person who values your hard earned money skip the desire to stay here it really wasn’t our dream come true. We would have stayed longer in the park and skipped the hotel. We had such high expectations and we were pretty much let down all the way around with our stay.

The good points were that check-in and out was easy. The staff was friendly at both. The room was clean and that is about all.

We felt the room was small and lacked the charm of Disney and the kid delight we expected. The paintings on the walls in the room were something my grandmother might enjoy seeing. We expected bright colors and fun photos of Disney characters or Disneyland attractions not water colors of Paris (not even Paris Disneyland). The Denney’s down the block had better decoration then our room! The room features that were Disney were the bathroom supplies in the Disney packaging and the lamps were held by Mickey hands on the wall. The lamp shades when in use had a Disney touch but you wouldn’t know it if you didn’t turn them on at night. The head board of the bed the entertainment center /dresser had wood burnings of Disney but still nothing to exciting really. The carpet was old and worn rather dirty looking in spots, again not bright and fun colors as we expected. The bedspread and wall paper were the same dull and not cheerful as we expected. It took us looking hard at both to see even the Disney touch in both he wall paper and the bedspread.

The hall way to our room was Motel 6 looking. There was nothing on the walls at all!

The pool was crowded and not clean the afternoon we got in to it. The second day it was a bit cleaner but not much and still very crowded. All the staff at the pool you could tell were anxious to get off work and didn’t seem to add any charm to staying at the magical Disneyland hotel. The slide at the pool closed at 7:00 pm and didn’t open until 11:00 am! That is two hours less on both ends of the pool hours.

As far as the pixie dust. We expected a sprinkling of glitter or something in our room. The only thing there that came close to pixie dust was a wall paper border that the top of the wall by the ceiling of Tinkerbell ….and it didn’t even glow in the dark

The parking for self serve was on the roof of the parking structure and if you didn’t want to pay the bell hop to take your luggage in for you, you didn’t have the use of the luggage cart. The elevator was whacked out and kept opening and closing at will (Tower of Terror on the Disneyland property we joked), it wasn’t reliable either day we stayed.

All in all we will never stay here again. We feel we got caught up in the dream off having all the Disney magic we could on our trip and of the 5 hotels we stayed at on our trip we would rate this on second the bottom in may many of the rating categories. It wasn’t worth the money we spend. We could have added more days to our park time and stayed at a good neighbor hotel or eaten steak each night for dinner and felt we had better spent our hard earned money. Maybe the other two Disney properties are better then this one.

All and all we will return and do it all over again. :cool1: We will go better prepared for shows and EE and PS. We will book off site or try CGH.

Hope this helps someone else planning a trip to DL

Diana

I know how you feel about the DLH! We have stayed at all three and of course the GC is beautiful but we really feel like we get our $$ worth at the PP. Our service here was the best of all 3!

Thanks for the notes! You know, I have reservations at CCI.........
I was THISCLOSE to making reservations with AAA for DH also......but
then got "cheap" and then made the res for CCI. I just got a brochure in mail for Get Away Today........and start thinking again if I should treat myself to DH, but I really appreciate the honest notes you made about "If you are a person who values your hard earned money skip the desire to stay here"
......well, I do value my $$$ and it does not come so easily........so I will stay with CCI. DS and I will have a blast. We are walkers and will have no problem.
Thanks for your notes! Glad you had fun! any photos?

I used to think PotC had 1 big drop instead of two little drops but it never did. The drops have always been like that.

Sorry your DLH experience was a let-down.

Yeah I was going to say, even 20 years ago the POTC always had the two medium drops. Of which I'm greatful for. Not everyone is big on thrill rides, or their tummies can't handle them. So it's nice for those people like me, that way we can enjoy the rest of the ride! Anyway that's part of the charm of Disneyland IMO, not every guest has to have the stomach of an astronaut to ride the rides! That's that magic Disney put in the park, full of fantasy ect... :)

Sorry that you didn't have a good experience at the DLH. We've had so many very poor experiences staying off site that we wouldn't stay anywhere else (well besides GCH or PP). Last year, for example, offsite, we had a dirty room, with no running water in the hotel for the first day (couldn't even flush the toliet), and then no TV for 4 days of the trip! I won't even mention the pool, ewww!! Or how unhelpful and rude the staff was. We are a family of 3 so having a huge room isn't a big deal, we found the rooms there to be of good size actually. But I could see how a larger family may find it to be small. We actually like all the Disney touches in the hotel itself and the room. No our room wasn't like being on an actual ride! LOL But it always had felt like we were emersed in the Disney magic. We always feel close to everything staying there. And we always feel safe walking back to our hotel too, which we didn't always have staying offsite! Our room has always been clean, and we all enjoyed the pools. So for us staying there has been worth every penny, and trust me we value our hard earned money too!

Just goes to show it will be a different experience for everyone, depending on what your looking for in a vacation! Glad you had a wonderful trip inspite of those issues! :)

It's interesting your take on the themeing of the Hotel. I'm a veteran of WDW and specifically, The Polynesian and Contemporary. the Value resorts there offend me, because they are so not what Walt would have wanted.

The reason I mention this is because I had in some respects the opposite reaction when I stayed at the DLH a couple years ago. I felt that the Disney touches were overdone. Compared to Florida where they really stick to a theme and you don't see Tinkerbelle or Mickey anywhere.

With that frame of mind, I ended up appreciating the fancier and subtler aspects of the room's decor.
Differenet strokes for different folks I guess and it's about expectations. It's too bad the floor was dirty. I did not have that problem. Though this was 5 years ago and they were in the midst of a remodel. The rooms were small though.

Our trip was great don't get me wrong. :cool1: You live and you learn. Everyone has to make their own choice on where to spend their $$$$. I can just say we saved all year for this and somewhere I got the impression that the DH was kid friendly and full of the magic of Disney. I just didn't see the Disney touches other then a lamp or two, and a few bathroom supplies. There was no theme to our room other then old. I don't recall the perks we got staying at the DH but getting those may have been what made it worth it for us. I was just trying to say it was a disappointment that it lacked the magic we all had anticipated.

As far the POTC hey I was wearing the motion sickness patch behind my ear the whole 5 days to make it through all the rides with my kids so no big drop was fine with me. Maybe 20 years ago it just seemed big. At my age though the mind is failing too. LOL

Thanks again for all the help in planning our trip. We picked up our film today and were thrilled with the memories we captured forever as the mental memories fade of this last family vacation.

Diana

Hi Diana, thanks so much for your detailed trip report - I really enjoyed it! I have a question about Goofy's Kitchen - where would you recommend sitting for the best character interaction? Did you notice any areas were better than others? Thanks! :goodvibes

I guess the closer to the food the better. There were several times the characters came out and did entertainment like activities there and all were welcome to get up and join in the fun coming from your table. We weren't given a chose as to were we sat as we were seated by the staff. We were just inside the door and next to the window. (Right by the dirt dish dumping station but that didn't bother me any.) The boys said we should have had a booth as they saw several characters sit with the guess in the booth that was near us. Since we only had the four chairs at our table we felt like we wanted to offer the character a seat while they stopped to visit. I will tell you the best character we met was the mad hatter. My boys are still talking about that that even today (they are 9-13) We had our breakfast 5 days ago so we are still getting miles out of that $$. :) We went at 10:00 and had a great selection of food as well. I will say we felt like since we were finsihed eattign we should give up our table. Don't feel that way when you go linger as long as your kids will allow you to linger. Have fun!

Diana

Thanks Diana for the tips! I'm glad you had a great time too, it helps ease my mind about the cost of the meal ($$$!) We're really excited about the character breakfast (our children are 10, 7, and 3) - your tips will help us get the most out of the experience!!! :)

dianaore said:
We got a AAA package which was great! Love the fast pass and wouldn't go to DL without it. :cool1: We were in the park on a 5 day hopper pass, we spent 57 hours a total of 11.5 per day. We rode 84 rides and saw 4 parades and fireworks 4 nights though we never sat for them. The seats for fireworks began being snagged as early as 7:30..2 hours before the show!Diana

I LOVE it!!! :bitelip:

I absolutely think that by calculating the time in the parks, and counting up exactly how many rides you were on, you should move up from the "Earning my Ears" Tag!!!

We always note the first and last rides, but have never counted how many we do. Who in the family was in charge of that?? I could see my middle boy doing it---he wants a pedometer for his 10th b-day to gauge how much we walk in Florida this summer!

Thanks for the excellent trip report. Good reading!! popcorn::

How funny is that I wore my pedometer and we logged in 8-10 miles per day. Wish I could say I cam home 10 pounds lighter but no dice with those 6.00 corn dogs! My DS #1 age 13 has a mind like a steel trap so ever night we went back though our day of rides and jotted down the numbers according the park map. We are big into statistics when it comes to our summer vacation. Our 11 day trip came out to 68.46 per day per person...even with the corn dogs! LOL

Diana

That was AWESOME! I love trip reviews with stats! I think I will take my pedometer for our next trip, we have always wondered how much walking we did!

WatchinCaptKangaroo said:
I used to think PotC had 1 big drop instead of two little drops but it never did. The drops have always been like that.

Sorry your DLH experience was a let-down.
I'm thinking that one of the drops was longer also. Didn't it get shortened when they put in the Indianna Jones attraction??? Seems I remember hearing that. Or I'm I just having the same problem, because I was so much younger and everything seemed way bigger then??? LOL too!!! :rolleyes1

Thanks for the wonderful and very detailed report. We are planning our first trip to DL in 2008, our boys will be 7, 5 and 5. So I am trying to familarize myself with all things DL.

dianaore said:
We just returned from 5 days a DL June 25-29th

!

We stayed at the HJ and loved it. :sunny: Wrote a great review for it on Trip advisor.
We also stayed at the DL Hotel. My review for that is not a good one at all: :sad2: Hree it is:

If you are a person who values your hard earned money skip the desire to stay here it really wasn’t our dream come true. We would have stayed longer in the park and skipped the hotel. We had such high expectations and we were pretty much let down all the way around with our stay.......

.... ................ ................ ..............

.......All in all we will never stay here again. We feel we got caught up in the dream off having all the Disney magic we could on our trip and of the 5 hotels we stayed at on our trip we would rate this on second the bottom in may many of the rating categories. It wasn’t worth the money we spend. We could have added more days to our park time and stayed at a good neighbor hotel or eaten steak each night for dinner and felt we had better spent our hard earned money. Maybe the other two Disney properties are better then this one.

Hope this helps someone else planning a trip to DL

Diana

Your review was very informative and tastefully done.
I was wondering which tower you stayed in and if you know if any of them have been refurbished. As you can see from my signature, we are headed that way. :rolleyes: Other reviews had noted how noisy it was. Did you notice that to be a problem?

I appreciate the constructive critique and hope to learn something from your experience....

...So, how does one who is planning excessively for the Disney magic lower their expectations?.. ;)

I really want the magic, as we all do!!! :teeth:

When I was at DLH a few years ago the rooms looked exactly like the photgraphs supplied online. I was actually really pleased with the decor and enjoyed the understated Disney theming like the bedspreads. The hallway was nothing though....that part I hadn't seen photos of.

mermaidlagoon said:
...So, how does one who is planning excessively for the Disney magic lower their expectations?.. ;)

I really want the magic, as we all do!!! :teeth:

Not the OP, but I can tell you how we do it! :thumbsup2

We generally stay offsite at DL, onsite at WDW. We go to DL too often, and can't justify onsite prices given the proximity of offsite hotels.

Anyway.....

Stay in the parks as much as you can! That's my simple piece of advice. We'll hang out on a bench in the park, or in DD instead of lounging in the room. We'll sit outside the room (literally!) facing the theme parks, or just listening to people coming home from the parks instead of sitting inside the room. Just the view of the Matterhorn makes us feel more relaxed. Nothing is more relaxing to me than the sound of people screaming on ToT! :scared1:

Is it psychological---absolutely. But it absolutely works, too!!! :wizard:

mermaidlagoon, we stayed in the Marina tower and we had no trouble with the noise at all. Though we weren't in our room much at all. We were in DL 14 hours a day!! We came back to spend a bit of time at the pool in the late afternoon and evening but when we returned to DL when we returned to sleep we were so dead tiered we heard not a thing and sleep though until getting up early the next morning to do it all over again!

I think we went into the DLH expecting it to be WOW and full of Disney and it really wasn't so if you go there think of it as noting more then a (regular hotel with a big price)and you will be pleased and maybe your opinion of the Disney will be more then I though and you will be overly surprised. I just didn't see the Disney in the room and in the building it was to subdued for me or I missed it. The most Disney I saw was the gift shops! LOL

Diana

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter