Just Back - BIG character complaint - who can I write to?

ReneeQ

DIS Veteran
Just got home yesterday from an 8 night Disney trip. Stayed at Boardwalk Villas and had an awesome time. This trip was me, my sister and my nephew (her 5 year old). The only other time he has been was when he was 3. On that previous trip he LOVED seeing the characters and getting autographs. This trip he barely cared. That was fine with us, less time standing in lines!

BUT there were a few characters he wanted to see - Buzz being one. And here is my big complaint.

You get in line to see a character. And wait and wait and wait. Then out of the blue the cast member with the character will say "okay, this is the last family, Buzz has to go in now." Leaving tons of crying children standing in line. These children cannot understand this. All they understand is "why doesn't Buzz want to see ME?" Not to mention the angry parents, wasting 20 minutes standing in line for nothing, and now having to deal with crying kids.

One time we tried to see Buzz the cast member yelled out "Buzz is going in in 5 minutes." I thought, no big deal, we'll make it. Not 25 seconds later she says "Buzz is going in in 4 minutes." 30 seconds later it was "3 minutes." It was ridiculous! But most of the time there was no warning at all.

I am still so angry about this and want to write to someone. Anyone know to who?

ALL they have to do is close the line! Sure the kids might be disappointed with "we'll need to try to see Buzz later." But that's a lot better than standing in the line for nothing. The ONLY place we saw them close a line was at Al's Toy Barn at MGM. And it worked perfectly. She even told you exactly what time they would be back.

If anyone knows who to write to, please let me know.

Thanks!

Check their wesite at the bottom is a guest service link to email them.

I know it if frustrating but for the most part the CM's and Characters have NO control over this. They have a set amount of time they can be out at a time.

Okay, I'll check that, thanks. My point is they DO have "some" control over this, because the way they have it set up at Al's Toy Barn works PERFECT. If they can do it there, they should be able to do it everywhere. The Toy Story characters at Al's also can only be out a certain amount of time (just like all the characters), and those handlers judge the line and determine when to close it.
It just seems to be a better set up.

Thanks!

This is how I handled that. When we got in line I asked that CM if the char. would be there long enough for us to reach him. Then I told CM we were at the end of the line. (Point dramaticaly) If they said yes, I said I would remind them that I was 'approved'. We ALWAYS made it when I did this. Sometime they would say not to wait/come back later, but I was never turned away once they said yes.
~~g.

Most of the time when a character leaves an area it's only for a few minutes. We've waited before and then the character goes in. At that point a lot of people leave the line, but we usually wait and within 5 minutes they're back out.

teachingmykids, that is a great idea! Wish I had thought of it!

welovemickey, that was not the case for us. When Buzz went in at 3:10 PM she said he wouldn't be out again until 4.

I know I sound whiney, and this by NO means ruined or trip or anything. It's just that it worked SO well at Al's Toy Barn, I wish they would do it this way throughout the parks. BTW, when they closed the line at Al's it was about 2:55 PM. She said they wouldn't be out again until 3:40.

We are just back and your complaint is mine also. We seen MANY characters and got many autographs. But I agree instead of letting all those people stand for nothing, can't they close the line and say OK after so and so Buzz is going in. Not just cut the line off after so many people and Kids stood for nothing. We got burned once then after that, I always asked how long the character would be there before we got in line.

Originally posted by roliepolieoliefan
instead of letting all those people stand for nothing, can't they close the line and say OK after so and so Buzz is going in.
I think this is the best idea, unless the character is going to back withing 5 - 10 mins. They should "stop" the line when XX amount of peple get in line.

This happened to us quite a bit when we were there at the beginning of October. My DD wanted Pinnocio's autograph. We "ran out of time" twice. Well, right after the Cinderella show, we waited to the side, as the characters got ready to head out for autographs. I walked over to George, the CM handler for Pinnocio and said "George, can we follow you to be sure we see Pinnocio today. We haven't been able to get through the line to meet him before he has to go home". He said of course, but to everyone's surprise, Pinnocia took each of our girls' hands, Tweedle Dee and Dum went on either end, and all 5 of them skipped down the road to where they would sign autographs. (I had tears!) My daughter claims that to have been the "best of of her entire life" She also got to walk and hold hands with Minnie on the same day. (she's 8 and believes in it all-so it was truley a wonderful day for our entire family!)

I agree that the best thing to do is talk to the CM handling the character. We did so in July when we were there last. It was our last day and we had not found Donald or Tarzan. Well, both were just outside of Animal Kingdom as we came out. We got in the line for Donald and I asked the CM if we would make it through and they said we should be fine. We were, then we moved over to Tarzan and again I asked the CM if there was enough time for us to get through, kindly explaining it was our last day, and she said "you should make it." Sure enough, they cut the line off right BEHIND me. Just be polite and ask the CM, they usually have a good idea of how many more people can get through before they have to leave.

Thaks for the tip in asking the CM if you will "make it through the line".

I have had similar experiences in the past and it does get very aggravating!! They should close the line so EVERYONE knows what is going on and the kids won't be left crying and asking why they don't want to see them.

This was brought up in another thread a couple of months ago - they should have actual lines that people stand in to greet the characters because a lot of the time it is a free for all and a lot of pushing and shoving gets involved - and that is not something I want to teach my child!!

Just my thoughts and I think Disney should address this issue!!

Thanks for posting.

Lisa

Thanks for the tips about talking to the cm about if we'll make it to the character.

I agree they should stop the line from forming longer if the character will not have time to see them.

I would encourage anyone who has this concern or shares these thoughts to write and let Disney know. You can email them, also. They tend to listen when enough people point out what works and suggest that they incorporate something similar in all the parks. We have seen this happen to a lot of families. My solution has been to schedule character meals and we tend to get to most of the characters. Plus, we now go during very slow times. But, Disney needs to know what is going on and hear from those of you who have had bad experiences. That is the only way they will change things. Each time I have written I have gotten a response back...typically via the phone. They are good about following up with you.

We have had both experiences... being shut out of Peter Pan and Wendy (resulting in upset and tears) and having a CM politely close the line. Maybe it depends on the handler. I do think they respond positively to kids and adults who are polite and patient.

One time I accidently thought the family in front of us was done and scooted my kids up to Donald... well they weren't and I was so embarrased I apologize to the family and the handler. Donald "scolded" me but was very sweet to my kids, I'm sure my sincere apology and embarrassment saved the situation.

Another time my kids were cut off by a parent who bypassed the whole line for Goofy and the handler firmly pointed her to the end and Goofy gave my kids an extra big hug for waiting.

Do remember, it might not just be the handler, it could be nature. If it is nature, if I'm the character, politeness, crying children, whatever....I'm out of there before I embarass myself.

Another point no one has raised - the logistics of multiple formal queues. To have formal character lines (like the one at Pizza Planet, or the ones within Toontown) takes space. Disney has moved to these for the very popular characters.

Also well as the preference for people to have some character spontenaity. When you talk to people who also do DL, or have been doing DW for a while, they talk about how you used to be able to walk right up to the characters and how wonderful that is.

You still can. At certain times there is no one around and you get to stroll right up (we had this experience with Tigger in the AK first thing in the morning, around a corner no one had gotten to yet).

It doesn't have to be a formal queue, the handler can simply to say to someone when they get in line "okay, you will be the last family Buzz gets to see right now." When others try to get in line they can simply say "Sorry, folks, the line is closed."

At the Monster Inc meeting place, a CM stands at the end of the line and doesn't let anyone else get in line. I think that's so much better thatn the other way

ReneQ.. I must have been in the same line you were!! After waiting for Buzz... by the Toy Barn... sure as the sun they say 'that's the last family'. and we would have been the next ones! They told us they would be back in 5 minutes but we left anyway.

They told us 'five minutes' once by Snow White... my DH asked if the CM thought we'd have enough time to meet her, and she said 'no, I don't think so..'. Then right behind us about 5 familys got in line and sure as the sun, they got to meet Snow White and we opted out.

Luckily my kids didn't cry or fuss, just said 'maybe they had to use the potty'.

It is crummy, but not sure how else they can do it! I have another suggestion.. when in the Tent in Toontown.. they should have like 25 Mickey's in back... so the line is shorter. Also play more kid friendly video's while waiting. At least it was air conditiones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter