Just back - ASSp and AKL

K and K's Mommy

<font color=blue>WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team</fon
We just spent a wonderful week in Disney. Most of our stay was at ASSp. We spent about 24 hours at AKL.

I was very pleasantly surprised at ASSp. The only hotel we had stayed at previously was WL on our honeymoon seven years ago. We knew my DS4 would love the sports theme, plus we thought it would be a great way to save money. The room was much better than I expected. There was plenty of room for the four of us even with a pack-n-play for my DD1. I was able to completely unpack and as expected, my son loved the theming. Even my daughter loved the football field! We also had the best housekeeping staff. Every day we had new "towel" surprises complete with sticker faces! We never ate at the food court so I can't tell you about that. The negatives: Groups! We had quite a few senior trips! Luckily, I had not booked a room with a "view." The pools and football field were always loud (and we left early and got back late on several occasions). Bus transportation was not very good, especially compared with seven years ago at WL. I don't know if that is a Disney or AS problem.

We moved to AKL just to relax, go swimming, and look at animals before heading for home. The rooms are very nice, queen beds as compared to double beds at AS and a double sink. We paid for a savannah room. We get to our room and it just looks at a big bush. My DH went to the front desk because there is no way my kids can see over this bush! We got a complimentary upgrade to Deluxe Savannah. We now are on the fifth floor with a great view! Anyway, request higher than second floor or get a change. They were very nice about it. The pool is great. My DS4 loved the slide. Boma is very tasty and a fun place to eat! I am glad we stayed here once, but for some reason I liked the WL better. Plus, I have decided that with little ones, it is best to be as close to the parks as you can be! The bus ride gets old!

For what it is worth, my son said his favorite hotel was the All Star Sports! Any questions about the two of them, I can try to answer.

Thanks for the comparison on the two resorts. My husband and I stayed one night at AKL and thought it was a little overpriced. Now were are taking our 4 year old in October and I keep thinking ASSp. I'm such a priss though, and I love a nice room. I have never stayed at their value resorts, but I have loved POFQ and Riverside. Will I be able to handle the colors and oversized icons for four nights, lol.

Thanks for the post. I now am optimistic about the idea of staying in one of the value resorts. Because of our budget, that might be all we can afford on our next Disney trip. We do usually split our stay to keep costs down & it's still an option. I think that my kids will love the Allstars, it's the grown ups (us) who are spoiled & would like something "nicer".

Anyway, your post was helpful to me. I, too think that WL is nicer than AKL. I'm not exactly sure why, I just like it better.

Glad you had a great trip!

I, too, like a nice room, but if your son loves sports, you will be able to handle the large icons! My DS 4 loved everything about the big icons. We got some great pictures of my kids on the football field. No slides at the pool, but my son loved the baseball one. Going in October you shouldn't get any senior graduation groups. They were a bit loud! Have fun! I'm ready to go back today!

K and K's Mommy, thanks for the trip report. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I am in the minority here because I prefer the AKL to the WL, even though they were designed by the same person. I think the animals and the remote feeling are what I love about the AKL -- I can truly relax whenever I'm there.

One of these days I will be trying the All Stars. I'm not sure if it will be the Sports, Music, or Movies. By the way, thanks for your remark about booking a non-view room, as it might be quieter if there are groups around. I had never thought of that before. What an excellent suggestion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter