• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back -- a few notes

mom2AidanAndEli

DIS Veteran
Just spent a week at POFQ and had a great trip. Hit all four parks and Downtown Disney (or Disney Springs). Had a few random thoughts that might be helpful to someone on their way soon...

* Had the regular dining plan and was able to substitute side/snack items for desserts at several QS places. Ones that come to mind are Columbia Harbor House, Flametree, and Pinocchio Village Haus. All were very easy substitutions, no question at all from the cast members. So instead of the prepacked cake things or mousse that we get way too much of we were able to have a cup of soup, garlic knots, french fries, onion rings. Made sharing meals very easy!

* Although I've heard horror stories of lines at kiosks for 4th FPs, we had just the opposite. Only a few people at the most. And sometimes when it looked like a long line, it was actually full parties so 4 or 5 people would go together to one kiosk. Never waited more than 5 minutes to make an additional FP.

* On that note, someone here had written about the kiosks at Town Hall--great hint! A couple times we were able to stop in and make evening FPs on our way out of the park for a rest/dinner.

* EPCOT definitely did the new rope drop thing where they let everyone in early and then had internal ropes at various points. Animal Kingdom did as well.

* In EPCOT, we chose to FP TT and ride Soarin at rope drop. We thought it was a great decision! Of the people walking through rope drop, I'd say a good two-thirds of them went left to Test Track! We were able to walk on Soarin with no wait and then rode TT with the FP a little later. Worked out great!

* Had great luck with transportation to/from POFQ. Never waited long for a bus at all. I think one of our records was heading to Whispering Canyon for a dinner ADR after a rest at our resort. Our ADR was for 5:40. We went down to the POFQ bus stop at 4:30, figuring we would need a little time. We took a bus to MK and then transferred to the bus for WL there. (Were afraid boat would take longer!) We walked into the lobby at WL at 4:56! Less than a half hour from POFQ to MK to WL! Of course, that meant the boys got to spend time in the arcade at WL while we waited!

* Only disappointment was HS. We had FP for TSMM, which ended up being down for three hours during the day! By the time we went, the FP line was crazy. It took us a good 30-40 minutes to get through--on FP! And the wait for Movie Ride was about an hour--we decided not to wait that long and I'm sorry I didn't get to see the new version. No FPs left by the time we tried. We love ToT and TSMM and Muppets, so wouldn't skip the park. But just doesn't seem like it's really worth the price of admission right now!

* Downtown definitely still has a lot of work in progress, but you can start to see things coming together now. Or at least I felt it more so than we did last year about the same time.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'm happy to try and help!

* Although I've heard horror stories of lines at kiosks for 4th FPs, we had just the opposite. Only a few people at the most. And sometimes when it looked like a long line, it was actually full parties so 4 or 5 people would go together to one kiosk. Never waited more than 5 minutes to make an additional FP.

We experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago. the Kiosks moved really quick and usually, like you said, they looked like they had a long line because the entire family was standing there. we were able to get 4 additional FP in the afternoon, which was a big part of the reason our day at MK went so smoothly.

Our kiosks were horrible. Main problem is all it takes is one having issues or not speaking English and thats it. I was in Epcot 3 days ago and waited 30 mins due to a large party not understanding the system nor the cm
Been here 8 days and that is not uncommon
We ve yet to get 4 additional fp.

Saving grace is low crowds so not long waits

Must be really hit or miss then! We did extra FPs in AK, Epcot, and MK and never waited more than 5 minutes last week. In MK, we had 8 or 9 FPs each day and still never waited that long.

We found that kiosks further into the park had fewer people lined up waiting, and never waited more than a few minutes for an open kiosk, or a cm with a tablet. We didn't attempt to get a 4th FP+ at Epcot, as we really never needed one though. Were there no other open kiosks? Just the one?

This is making me think I should have had Great Movie Ride as one of my FPs...

The problem is they count it as a Tier 1! So you can't get TSMM and Great Movie Ride, unless you're able to get one of them as your fourth. We were only there in the evening, so everything was gone by then. I chose TSMM for the FP, thinking Great Movie Ride isn't usually THAT long and we could do it standby. I just can't bring myself to wait an hour for a ride!

The problem is they count it as a Tier 1! So you can't get TSMM and Great Movie Ride, unless you're able to get one of them as your fourth. We were only there in the evening, so everything was gone by then. I chose TSMM for the FP, thinking Great Movie Ride isn't usually THAT long and we could do it standby. I just can't bring myself to wait an hour for a ride!
Thank you for this reminder... Now I remember why I picked what I picked! Makes me feel a lot better!

What are the "new rope" drop procedures? Are they doing something new for all parks?

I can only respond about Epcot - we didn't got to AK and we had a pre park opening ADR at MK.

At Epcot they started letting us into the park around 8:45am. Then they stopped people right before the breezeways on either side of Future World (one that goes to TT and the other side that goes to Soarin') and held us there until 9:00am. Then the CMs walked everyone in so people wouldn't start running.

Before this they'd let people into the park at 9:00am and it was more of a slow trickle into the park; there was no being held back at the breezeways.

That's exactly what we experienced at Epcot. The one day we did rope drop, we went to Soarin'. We were held at the breezeway until 9:00 and then we were actually walked all the way to the ride. No running or jostling for position!

At Animal Kingdom, it's basically the same. They let you through the gate early and everyone gathers in the main area (is that Discovery Island?). There are basically ropes holding people back from going towards Everest/Kali or the safari. In that case though, just before 9:00 the ropes were dropped and we were just allowed to walk through to wherever. Ended up first in line at Kali since everyone headed to Everest. Had to wait there until 9:00 to actually walk onto the ride.

We only did one MK rope drop and it was the same as last year. After the opening show they start letting everyone in, but definitely hold you behind ropes all the way to the first rides. We went to Frontierland for Splash and BTMRR. We had to stay behind a rope all the way to the rides--were told no running, etc. Actually, because it was Frontierland, we were told we had to "mosey".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter