Just Back 8 days SSR 7/31-8/7 thoughts and observations

artesian

DIS Veteran
Flights United from EWR although no empty seats totally uneventful. I've come to the conclusion I need to get the whole fam precheck. I went with them through the regular line and remembered why I got it in the first place :)

Rented through Hertz for the first time and was one of the smaller lines. I wound using autoslash dot com that beat anything I could get out there. Agent tried to upsell me to an SUV which I declined and lo and behold when I get to the assigned spot it was an SUV

Room was in the refurbished Paddock building 6500. I always ask to stay here as my kids are grown and they want walking access to DTD and this is the closest and not pay premium for Congress. The only thing I did notice is the is a post floating around about helicopters and gee they seem constant and we slightly annoying. Other than that had zero issues and absolutely love the new style room here.

Lastly was theme park access and strategies I had to relearn everything related to getting in.

Don't rely on posted wait times. They are guesstimates at best. Very few were close and most were almost half of what sign says. My advice is to just go unless it's a crazy amount. We as a fam kind of got used to life without FP+ and yes I do miss it but it's not that bad if you rope drop. We did not miss any rides and no one really complained about the waits.

Hollywood parking opens 745 on the dot. Do not get there any earlier as there are guard turning people around anytime before that. Went 3 times and times it to where I left the room at 735 and was able to be in the first row. Park opens at 8 with standard rope drop procedures in place for the major areas and allowing you to walk over and start getting on by 830

AK similar in that parking opened 645 sharp and it was the standard everyone was going to FOP which let us in by 830

EP not sure what time it opens but I was though parked and in line at security check at 10. Most lined up straight to TT and we were allowed in by 1030. I had TT and Frozen done by 11.

MK got to the lot by 745 and in the park by 815 or so. Not idea when rope drop was as all the corners were already open and people were getting off Space as we walked up at 830.

Overall very happy with how this trip went. The mask inside rule was weird as they enforced it even on outside queues after a certain point. Got extremely lucky in that 5 out of 8 days were overcast and didn't not melt in the heat all week.

Started planning a Jan trip for the 50th and looking forward to it already.

Glad to hear you had a nice time. Rope drop is out of the question for my crew, LOL no one is ready to go until 10ish , LOL> we sit up and play games and talk when we're all together, or are in the pool until 9 or so. we all enjoy a morning together in the kitchen, having a big slow breakfast and then off, SO we are thrilled to see extended hrs are coming back!
After experiencing horrible lines, and long long wait times for rides, it's nice to hear you didn't have to deal with that. I would like to know if you had wait times at DS? Had they started back with social distancing before you left?

Get the whole fam Global Entry. Lasts ten years and includes precheck. The fancier credit cards give you a credit for it.
what is this, how do I get it, where do I find it (I assume on airlines site?) this would be so good for us as my sister sets off the security each time with a pin in her shoulder.

what is this, how do I get it, where do I find it (I assume on airlines site?) this would be so good for us as my sister sets off the security each time with a pin in her shoulder.
Even with global entry or precheck, if have metal hardware in body will still be pulled for further screening. My wife has R hip and L knee replacements and she is pulled every time.
Still faster than regular line though.

Even with global entry or precheck, if have metal hardware in body will still be pulled for further screening. My wife has R hip and L knee replacements and she is pulled every time.
Still faster than regular line though.

not having to pull laptops, take off shoes, etc... (in addition to a much shorter line) are also very nice perks of the TSA pre-check.

TSA pre check is still getting processed fairly quickly. We just signed my mother in law up for it. She's joining us on our Nov trip to WDW and I do not want to go through MCOs standard security line. We signed her up online and were able to get an in person interview within a week and a half. From there I think only takes a few weeks. I don't think new Global Entry applications are being taken yet. I could be wrong though. The small cost for either is absolutely worth it.

Last edited:
TSA pre check is still getting processed fairly quickly. We just signed my mother in law up for it. She's joining us on our Nov trip to WDW and I do not want to go through MCOs standard security line. We signed her up online and were able to get an in person interview within a week and a half. From there I think only takes a few weeks. I don't think new Global Entry applications are being taken yet. I could be wrong though. The small cost for either is absolutely worth it.
We did the TSA Pre-check interview at a Staples in Massachusetts! Got approval and our Known Traveler Number (KTN) overnight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter