Just a suggestion

brettcw23

DIS Dad #722 Pittsburgh, PA
@webmasteralex @WebmasterKathy @WebmasterCorey and to the rest of the crew...
I've been spending a lot of time on the New Board Issues Thread to help navigate the "new world." And a truly tremendous job you have all done!

I have noticed a mixture of issues, how-to questions and suggestions. I have also noticed that the same questions are getting asked multiple times (not unusual on Message Boards of this size and given the volume of people that ignore stickies!:P)

Would it be helpful to maybe have 3 sub-forums? Just to help identify REAL issues?
  1. Issues (break\fix)
  2. How to (how things used to be done on old site=new way on this site, FAQ page, translation of old terms to new terms (i.e., subscriptions=watched threads)
  3. Suggestions (self-explanatory, but things like new themes, color changes, etc.)
  4. New functionality\Lost functionality (Cool things that we can do (drag\drop pics), old functionality that's MIA (Tag Fairy titles and such)
Just some thought and in no way a criticism of the technical teams here. As I stated previously, a tremendous job in migrating the boards. Minimal downtime and timely support by all of the Webmasters. I'm just trying to lend a hand where I can. Thanks again! :thumbsup2

Good thinking, but the forum is really more of a brain-dump space now. I think the geniuses are distilling the issues and suggestions down into priorititized issue lists with attack plans off the boards. :). The chaos of these two should die down over the next few days/weeks.

Getting an good, updated FAQ put together to address the how-tos will be the next priority. I don't think we want a dedicated sub forum for it. One good, organized post with links works better for that.

Good thinking, but the forum is really more of a brain-dump space now. I think the geniuses are distilling the issues and suggestions down into priorititized issue lists with attack plans off the boards. :). The chaos of these two should die down over the next few days/weeks.

Getting an good, updated FAQ put together to address the how-tos will be the next priority. I don't think we want a dedicated sub forum for it. One good, organized post with links works better for that.

:mic:

I'm just trying to keep the complaints at bay. While I am a consumer of the the boards, in "real life" I am a technology manager and can fully understand the challenges from a conversion\migration perspective.

Part of it may be my lack of patience with people refusing to apply logic. There is a big difference in not liking an interface versus something not working versus a numb skull who doesn't want to put any effort into understanding how things work with the new software.

All message boards use the same underlying concepts. It's the bells and whistles and the customizable "creature comforts" that make a difference. I simply wish people would put a little effort into figuring things out on their own, reading the Sticky Post that states the obvious answer to their question and lastly not to b*&ch about the new boards. Like I say to my children, when has whining EVER got you what you wanted? Rather people should focus on learning how to transition to the new features and functions while offering constructive input.

I think your approach is sound and I'll do what I can to answer tech and how-to questions when I see them. I think the tech team at the DISBoards has done an amazing job.

I completely agree, Brett! Also a technology manager/systems engineer/project manager who has managed and lived through LOTS of big migrations. Resistance to change makes me tired. I just put the complainers on mental "ignore" if there's nothing substantive to work on in their complaining. :)

This upgrade was lonnnngggg overdue. Alex/Corey/Pete have been babying the old software for a long time trying to keep it running until we had a good replacement. And I'm thrilled with how smoothly the upgrade went!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter