Jury Duty

wgeo

DIS Veteran
I know, I know it's an honor and a privilege and it is really important to make sure that our justice system works.

But holy crud, what an inconvience both time wise and economically. Really disruptive to my schedule, and the $15 is just sad.

Wish I had some job that would get me booted, my husband never ever gets picked, but I guess it doesn't rub off on me lol. Also - even though I'm not happy about it, I'll keep an open mind and do my job - I get kind of annoyed at all the people who laugh and say that you just should have said "xyz lie" and immediately gotten kicked out. As if I'm an idiot for choosing not to lie to the judge.

Sorry - just ranting again :)

I've gotten called for jury duty twice and sat on 3 cases-- got called for 2 different cases in 1 week, it was general sessions and they were over in 1 day each. DH has been called once and his number was never chosen when he called in.

I've gotten called for jury duty twice and sat on 3 cases-- got called for 2 different cases in 1 week, it was general sessions and they were over in 1 day each. DH has been called once and his number was never chosen when he called in.

The place I live now is a one day/one trial requirement - which is nice, except when you end up on a long trial ...

I got called once for grand jury duty (2 to 3 month duty) that conflicted with a booked WDW vacation. I called and was rescheduled for duty on the next grand jury. During the interview process with a judge they asked if anyone had any connection with law enforcement and I told them I was a retired officer. The judge said "Good, you'll be the assistant foreman then". It's hard to be excused nowadays.

I got called once for grand jury duty (2 to 3 month duty) that conflicted with a booked WDW vacation. I called and was rescheduled for duty on the next grand jury. During the interview process with a judge they asked if anyone had any connection with law enforcement and I told them I was a retired officer. The judge said "Good, you'll be the assistant foreman then". It's hard to be excused nowadays.

Yes and no - on the hard to be excused part. I think they're getting better at telling who's lying to get out of it. But on the other hand during voir dire a very large number of people are sent home for one reason or another.

I'm really ok with serving, and I know the judge has been very nice and clear about the hardship on the jurors. But it's still crazy how much it turns your life upside down, and other then "doing your duty" there is no upside for a juror. You have emotional baggage, your life is screwed up, and you lose money.

I am ok with serving. I think I'd enjoy it. I have been called up many times but each time have been sent home before we even got to jury selection or had the trial postponed. DH has never been called to serve. My only complaint is the pittance they give. $15 a day is ludicrous. You should get your regular salary if employed and if unemployed or per diet/IC or other it should be minimum wage at least PER HoUR. Whichever is greater.

I am ok with serving. I think I'd enjoy it. I have been called up many times but each time have been sent home before we even got to jury selection or had the trial postponed. DH has never been called to serve. My only complaint is the pittance they give. $15 a day is ludicrous. You should get your regular salary if employed and if unemployed or per diet/IC or other it should be minimum wage at least PER HoUR. Whichever is greater.
Where does the money come from?

I've only been called up once. It's for a month here in my area. I was selected for two trials. One lasted two days and the other lasted about a week. The first one was really interesting. Plus, I had some good fellow jurors and we were unanimous in our judgement. It was a trial for a man who was being charged with manslaughter: he and his best friend were driving back to college after visiting their home town. Roads were wet and they were in an accident. The friend died. :( But, there was THC in the driver's system, from when he and his friend smoked marijuana 16 hours previously.

The second one was medical malpractice. A young girl died from a septic hip. It was very sad and so drawn out and, I hate to say, but, boring. I had to stab my leg with my pencil to stay awake. I saw a couple of jurors and even the judge (!) nod off a couple of times. Some of my fellow jurors were not the brightest bulbs in the box and kept straying during deliberation. It was very difficult. It was not a unanimous decision (two of us wanted a guilty verdict and the rest did not). It just left me feeling sad and frustrated.

Here you can get called every three years, and if sooner just have to call/send something back saying it has not been three years. Aside from that, they initially do not excuse many people from having to come in, but do try now to not call as many in upfront. You call in the night before to see if you have to report the next day. If you are not needed, one day the message on the phone system will just say you have completed your service. If you are called in to be questioned for seating on the jury, the lawyers will ask questions and you may be excused if you don't fit what they are looking for.

I've only been called up once. It's for a month here in my area. I was selected for two trials. One lasted two days and the other lasted about a week. The first one was really interesting. Plus, I had some good fellow jurors and we were unanimous in our judgement. It was a trial for a man who was being charged with manslaughter: he and his best friend were driving back to college after visiting their home town. Roads were wet and they were in an accident. The friend died. :( But, there was THC in the driver's system, from when he and his friend smoked marijuana 16 hours previously.

The second one was medical malpractice. A young girl died from a septic hip. It was very sad and so drawn out and, I hate to say, but, boring. I had to stab my leg with my pencil to stay awake. I saw a couple of jurors and even the judge (!) nod off a couple of times. Some of my fellow jurors were not the brightest bulbs in the box and kept straying during deliberation. It was very difficult. It was not a unanimous decision (two of us wanted a guilty verdict and the rest did not). It just left me feeling sad and frustrated.

But what was the verdict in the first case?

I know, I know it's an honor and a privilege and it is really important to make sure that our justice system works.

But holy crud, what an inconvience both time wise and economically. Really disruptive to my schedule, and the $15 is just sad.

Wish I had some job that would get me booted, my husband never ever gets picked, but I guess it doesn't rub off on me lol. Also - even though I'm not happy about it, I'll keep an open mind and do my job - I get kind of annoyed at all the people who laugh and say that you just should have said "xyz lie" and immediately gotten kicked out. As if I'm an idiot for choosing not to lie to the judge.

Sorry - just ranting again :)

I was called up for a Federal Grand Jury in 2010 - it is either an 18 month or 2 year commitment, and lasts 3 days a month. Luckily my employer was compliant with releasing me for the time, and I'm salaried so I didn't lose any pay. But it was hard for some of the other members who were hourly workers and simply didn't get paid for those days!

But what was the verdict in the first case?

Not guilty. I was so adamant going into deliberation that I was going to stand my ground because I was certain he was not guilty and I was so afraid others would say guilty. Honestly, we all immediately said not guilty upon sitting down in the jury room, but then just sat there talking about the trial for about 15-20 minutes so it didn't seem like we didn't really think about it.

I was picked for jury duty once a few years ago - it was a 4-day trial. I did pay more to get down to the courthouse (downtown Chicago) than I got back in the little check.

But it was so incredibly interesting to witness the process of a trial. I would do it again if I am called up.

And, there really is no "lying" to the judge, at least not in the courtroom I was in! I guess if you figure out the direction the questioning is leading - for both sides - and can manage to lie in your response at the exact right time, to the right lawyer, I guess you could get yourself dismissed, but in our case at least, one lawyer was looking for a certain type of person, and the other attorney was looking for someone almost exactly the opposite, so either way we answered would have been enough to be chosen or dismissed. You didn't just get to say whatever you wanted - you had to answer the questions the judge and lawyers asked. There really wasn't a lot of room to start a story about why you wouldn't be a good candidate.

My employer paid my regular salary for the days I was out for the trial, and I was also told by HR to keep my govt checks. I was called for a 1-day jury duty once with a different company, and while they paid me for my day "off", I was also required to sign over my govt check to the company.

The trial itself was bogus, and the man was not awarded a penny. I did feel bad for him, just a *little*, because he was desperate for money and I had a feeling that he thought all his problems would be solved once the 2-year process was over and he left with nothing, but in all honestly he didn't deserve anything either. And it wasn't fair to make the young-ish girl pay when his problems didn't have anything to do with her.

Last edited:
With so many people working as independant contractors now I feel like they're going to need to rethink things. Lots more people these days are working, but not technically an employee of a company.

Yes while now I work at a salaried position I once worked where I was a 1099ed independent contractor. If I didn't work I didn't get paid so if called I guess I could claim economic hardship.

I've been called 4 times but never got on a jury! First time I had to go in, but just sat for 2 days then was dismissed. Second time was a "call-in" the night before, and didn't need to report. Third time was town court and was settled the day before trial. Last time was federal grand jury and I got excused because at that particular time I had numerous medical appointments every week. Now I think I'm past their age cut-off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter