Jurassic park drop scary?!?

mhalpern

Mouseketeer
I've been watching some youtube videos to try to come up with a touring plan. The drop on Jurassic park starts inside so it's impossible to get a good look at it. The website says it is an 85 foot drop - :scared1::scared1:. We don't do drops - don't do any of the big roller coasters, don't do splash mountain, don't plan to do Ripsaw Falls. So what do you think about the Jurassic park drop? For some reason being in a big boat instead of a little log makes it look not too scary. Should we do it or skip it? :confused3

I've been watching some youtube videos to try to come up with a touring plan. The drop on Jurassic park starts inside so it's impossible to get a good look at it. The website says it is an 85 foot drop - :scared1::scared1:. We don't do drops - don't do any of the big roller coasters, don't do splash mountain, don't plan to do Ripsaw Falls. So what do you think about the Jurassic park drop? For some reason being in a big boat instead of a little log makes it look not too scary. Should we do it or skip it? :confused3
I don't think it's scary but not everyone wants to ride it because of the final drop. It's really up to the individual and what they think is scary. Frankly...if you don't do Splash Mountain, I would skip it but you should check it out in person before making that decision.

I judge how 'scary' a drop is by the restraint. It's only a lap bar on JP so i feel like it's not that bad.

The drop is pretty sudden and mostly in the dark. You don't see much, so it can potentially be not scary for the kids, but... like Metro West said, if you can't do Splash Mountain, you may want to skip Jurassic Park.
Which is a shame because Splash Mountain is a great ride IMHO.

I feel like Jurassic is the least intimidating of all the drops listed. I am a huge fan of these drops but it def puts the least strain on my stomach. But like others have said, if you're not a fan of drops I wouldnt recommend it.

This is just my opinion and from one person that HATES drops to another.

I would categorize Jurassic Park with Rip Saw Fall & Splash Mountain. Last year I did all three and swore I would never do them again!! :lmao: Fast forward to this year and I didn't do Rip Saw Falls or Splash Mountain BUT I did do Jurassic Park. I remember right before the drop thinking "WTH have I got myself into again?? LOL"....all that being said, right after we got off the ride my kids were so happy I did it and we had a great time laughing at me in the pictures! Next year I'm going to "suck it up" and do more (but not Rip Saw Falls or Splash Mountain..lol)!

Maybe you should just try it? It'll be over before you know it and you'll at least have tried it and know if you like it or not ;)

This is just my opinion and from one person that HATES drops to another.

I would categorize Jurassic Park with Rip Saw Fall & Splash Mountain. Last year I did all three and swore I would never do them again!! :lmao: Fast forward to this year and I didn't do Rip Saw Falls or Splash Mountain BUT I did do Jurassic Park. I remember right before the drop thinking "WTH have I got myself into again?? LOL"....all that being said, right after we got off the ride my kids were so happy I did it and we had a great time laughing at me in the pictures! Next year I'm going to "suck it up" and do more (but not Rip Saw Falls or Splash Mountain..lol)!

Maybe you should just try it? It'll be over before you know it and you'll at least have tried it and know if you like it or not ;)

Thanks fellow drop hater! I appreciate the honest feedback. I keep thinking that since the boat is so big and since you can't really see the drop beforehand I "might" be okay. The problem with Splash Mountain is you can see what you are getting yourself into! No thanks. I agree that it is over before you know it. I think it will just come down to how the day plays out in terms of time, weather, etc.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Thanks fellow drop hater! I appreciate the honest feedback. I keep thinking that since the boat is so big and since you can't really see the drop beforehand I "might" be okay. The problem with Splash Mountain is you can see what you are getting yourself into! No thanks. I agree that it is over before you know it. I think it will just come down to how the day plays out in terms of time, weather, etc.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I really hate that I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to rides :sad1: I really WANT to do them...really I do. I use to when I was younger but as I get older I just can't get the nerve up. I love simulator rides and coasters that don't have that drop...my hubby and kids think I can do The Hulk because there's no drop...I almost had the nerve this year but chickened out at the last minute :( I always regret not doing them when we get home.

Good luck in whatever you decide..let us know how you make out :)

Its really not scary IMO. The ride is worth the 2 seconds of terror if you find that sort of thing terrifying. All you have to do is close your eyes, duck, you'll feel kind of a swoosh, its over, you'll be fine.

I would say go for it. The rest of the ride is worth to put up with the last drop. You only have to try it once like the other rides to at least say you have ridden it.:thumbsup2

This comes from someone that rides everything.

It is worth doing if you haven't done it before. The inside is pretty enough too stomach that awful drop one time.

(And this is coming from someone who LIVES in Orlando. I've been on Splash exactly 3 times in my LIFE, Jurassic twice, never TOT! LOL.. I think I might be the worse chicken between us. :lmao:)

I would have to second what others have said in that if you don't ride Splash then you should skip this. The drop is more sudden but it's at least on par with Splash.

I would say ride them though; you will be fine. Jurrassic Park is a pretty ride in the early stages before the 'fun' parts.

Question: Is the drop on the Jurassic Park ride scary?

Answer: Um, yes. Like woah. And, IMO, the rest of the ride isn't worth the few seconds of weightlessness and -this is important- this is coming from someone who loves "Jurassic Park" and Splash Mountain. Walk around and enjoy the terrific "Park" atmosphere and theming instead.

Here's my impression of the one time I rode the Jurassic Park ride:

So... we're in a boat, that's in a ditch that's going through a vineyard, I guess? Oh, neat, the iconic "What they got in there, King Kong" doors! Really cool moment - too bad they don't seem to sync with the music or progress of the boats.

Pass by a pair of bored-looking robot sauropods.

Through another ditch in a rather sparse garden. Pass by a bored-looking robot stegosaurus.

More ditch. Brief attempt at a jump scare where our boat's path is re-routed thanks to a Parasaurolophus who is... um... swimming underwater? (Somewhere, Bob Bakker is shedding a single tear.)

And now we're in a... brewery. Huh. What a tweest.

Further adventures in the Brewery. Couple of "raptors" popping up here and there. Whatevs.

Round the corner and hey, it's T. rex! Where ya been, girlfrien'! It's good to see you ag-AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH OMG ***!!!???!!! :scared1:

Seconds of sheer, stomach-churning terror end with a massive splash that leaves one mad as a wet domestic theropod with an unnervingly high egg yield.

Depart boat... that's it? :confused3

IMO the drop on JP is significantly more intense and intimidating than SM, which is why i love it. but if you don't like SM you certainly won't like JP.

Babbletrish, I couldn't disagree more.

If you do not ride this ride then you are missing out on one the most amazingly themed attractions in any theme park.

Saying that the rest of the ride is not worth seeing because of the few seconds of weightlessness is just plain wrong IMO.

You will definitely regret not going on this ride, especially as the drop is literally over in a couple of seconds!

You know - I've ridden this but I just wanted to respond again and say that you aren't missing that much if you don't. People always say that I'm not having any fun at the parks. The truth is that I'm just not having fun the way THEY are having fun. It isn't a good day for me if I ride a bunch of things that make me uncomfortable - that is the opposite of fun. Why should I ride just because it doesn't make other people sick? Everyone telling you that you have to ride don't feel the way you do - so take it with a grain of salt.

The question was if the drop is as bad as Splash Mountain - it is worse. If that doesn't fit into how you want to spend your day then skip it. There is lots to see at the Discovery Center and all over the park. You'll have a great day no matter what. :goodvibes

No, in your opinion it is worse than Splash Mountain.

In my opinion, the drop isn't as bad. The drop isn't as steep as SM which is fact, so won't have the same effect on your stomach in terms of making your stomach go. It is higher but you still wont even get as wet as you would on SM or Ripsaw.

No, in your opinion it is worse than Splash Mountain.

In my opinion, the drop isn't as bad. The drop isn't as steep as SM which is fact, so won't have the same effect on your stomach in terms of making your stomach go. It is higher but you still wont even get as wet as you would on SM or Ripsaw.

:thumbsup2 Totally agree - sorry I didn't mean to state opinion as fact. I meant that Splash is 52ft vs. Jurassic at 85ft. They both feel just as rotten to my weak stomach, though. :lmao:

Babbletrish, I couldn't disagree more.

If you do not ride this ride then you are missing out on one the most amazingly themed attractions in any theme park.

Saying that the rest of the ride is not worth seeing because of the few seconds of weightlessness is just plain wrong IMO.

You will definitely regret not going on this ride, especially as the drop is literally over in a couple of seconds!

ITA, I have to say I hate allot of rides but I hate that I feel that way. Motion is my worst issue.

So we went to US/Hollywood for Xmas weekend and when I saw JP and the fun everyone was having as they came down the drop … I said to my family I have to try this … I actually googled it on 'youtube' and watched it and thought I could handle those 2 seconds of terror.

WELL I AM SO GLAD I DID IT!!! IT WAS AWESOME!!! YEAH TO ME!!! OP, you can handle those 2 seconds of 'terror' as some are calling it!!! And you will jump off and run to try it again!!!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter