June 27 3-Day Wonder. #1. On Our Way

pjkds

Earning My Ears
Back from the 3-day Disney Wonder cruise (June 27-30). It was Wonderful, of course. I used lots of helpful info described on these boards over the past few months!

Cast of characters: pjkds (59), husband (51), 17-year-old daughter and her 17-year-old best friend.

We flew Delta (and ComAir) from Kalamazoo to Cincinnati to Orlando (and returned the same way). No problems with schedules, although thunderstorms nearly messed us up twice--10 minutes later and we would have been diverted to Tampa.

No problems with airport security--though husband was ?wanded? twice before boarding one flight (Kalamazoo?). They paid special attention to his belt buckle (normal-sized metal buckle, nothing unusual). We had passports for our 3 family members, plus the friend?s raised-seal birth certificate and her photo ID (driver?s license). We also had notarized permissions to take her to Florida and out of the country, and to authorize any necessary medical treatment, signed by both her parents. No one asked to see these permissions, but they could have. People 17 or under don?t need a photo ID but still need official ID (birth certificate with a raised seal, or passport). I held onto the ID?s for everyone and had to show them over and over, even when I had just shown them to someone else.

I used airport wheelchairs, but since I was able to walk the few steps through the metal detector, I was not ?wanded? nor patted down on the way to Orlando.

Earlier, I had asked the hotel how to get there from the airport. Because we had 4 people, it was cost-effective (though not as cheap) and MUCH NICER to have a ?Meet and Greet? Mears taxi service instead of using the Mears shuttle vans. The driver met us at the Delta baggage claim with a sign with our name on it. We gathered our luggage while he pulled his elegant car up to the covered loading zone; he loaded the luggage while we got into the car. All this time it was pouring, pouring, pouring rain. Instead of a wheelchair in Orlando I had rented an electric scooter, which I picked up at the hotel and dropped off a week later at the Orlando airport. The driver used his cell phone to notify the hotel that we were on our way and would be needing my electric scooter at the door in 20 minutes. This was VERY smooth!

We started out with 4 nights at the ?Hilton at the Walt Disney World Resort? in Orlando. Beautiful hotel and conference center. I was attending a spina bifida national conference. My husband took our 17-year-old and her friend to Disney (Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom) and Universal Studios for 3 days--kept them busy and tired. All the time in Orlando we had drenching downpours, as had been happening there for the previous couple weeks.

Thanks for the report.....glad everything went smooth....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter