June 22 Magic-part 2-Long

BethA

DIS Veteran
I wish that I could offer some insight into Key West, but I stayed onboard incase my 6 yr old wanted to leave the club. Had room service for breakfast and then went to aerobics. It was pretty crowded the first day, but continued to thin out as the week progressed. I met my parents at Topsiders and then we went to the DVC social. It was free drinks with prize giveaways-towels,bags, etc. Free hats to all in attendance and buckets and shovels for the kids. It lasted about an hour. I took my son to the Mickey pool, which was pretty deserted and got to just relax and read. On the crowded days I found the Mickey pool gross and sometimes made my son get out. The water was grey and cloudy and all sorts of debris floating. Lots of toddlers without water diapers!!! My son loved the slide, but managed to get black paint all over himself from the Mickey ears section of the pool. I told the life guard , who sent me to guest services, who said oh well--it took days for it to come off!! We had lunch by the pool and just enjoyed it not being crowded. He went to the club to the detective school and seemed to enjoy it. I do think Disney should have some activities onboard while in port. My mother has trouble walking and doesn't like to get off. She said on other lines they've cruised there was always some onboard alternative. Dinner was in Lumiere's and they celebrated Brandon's birthday. He was very excited about the pin he received. On the whole we were pleased with the food. I would like to see more of a variety on the kids menu. I think he got pizza or grilled cheese every day. If it seemed you didn't eat enough they were quick to bring something else to tempt you. Since we had so many teenagers in the group they ordered a lot of room service-ALWAYS hungry. The selection was good and they enjoyed everything they ordered. The lines for the portraits and pictures with the characters could be long so try to go early. The Piano player in the lobby was amazing. Take some time to enjoy him. Morty was still my least favorite show, but I enjoyed it more this time--I'm not sure why. We went to the family line dancing-not much of a turn out, but we had a lot of fun. Could have been a little longer, just when people were getting warmed up it was over. The teens did not like the band Free Reign, even though they went to all the deck parties. Those that went to match your mate and the adult cabaret show enjoyed it.

Mon was our first sea day. We all went to the trivia game and then to bingo. They really drag out the bingo. It never starts on time and way too much chit chat.The prize giveaways they have are a nice bonus-if you are lucky enough to win-we weren't. The Asian buffet at topsiders was very good, but the pool situation was crowded. I finally found a chair next to the basketball court when my son went to the club. People were saving chairs and not using them. I did see cast members remove the white towels from chairs if no personal items were there and they should. Chair saving for hours is RUDE! The island magic show was cute-definitely geared for small children. They said there were over 600 repeat cruisers and most of them were at the reception. It was nice ,but not that special and I might skip it in the future. No food that appeals to kids at all. At dinner Zouhaier brought all the kids pecan balls. They requested them the day before and he said he made them himself. I know some people didn't enjoy Hercules, but we love it. Hades is great. That was the only time I could feel the motion from the ship bothering me, but it passed quickly. Common grounds had separate things for 15-17, and since my son wasn't old enough to be included they skipped all of that. Didn't really do any of the planned activities there, just hung out. They did go to several movies while onboard too. That evening we went to family karaoke. They should have a 3 minute limit on each song. Too many people and not enough time. My son did Who Let the Dogs Out and then all the teens did Devil Went Down to Georgia. I wish I had my video camera that night. Every evening we had great towel animals and the kids now know how to make them at home.
Tues--We did not have an excursion booked on Grand Cayman so had to wait to tender. We took a cab to 7 mile beach for $3 each, which adds up. Where they let us off they wanted $8 to go on the beach , $5 for a chair and some ridiculous price for an umbrella. Next time we will look for an excursion or stay on the boat. We walked along the beach and all the areas were marked private, some with security guards. We took some pictures in the ocean and headed back to get a cab. I was willing to walk, but noone else wanted to. I think Brandon had more fun in the club doing eggsperiments-which he demonstrated at breakfast for us. My friends' daughter Maria was lucky enough to get picked for Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer. She took me up with her and I felt awful that I didn't know the last answer. She made it to the last question and wanted to stop since we didn't know, but guessed at the last second. She got $175 credit and the pin though. I have to say I did not enjoy Eric Brouman at all. Each of his shows were almost identical and not that funny the first time. We went to the adult Magic quest which was hilarious and managed to have the winning team. The time warp party was a lot of fun, but it gets smokey in there after a while. Next stop Cozumel.

The nice thing about prebooking excursions is that you don't run into any surprises. I remember reading on the boards that if you take a taxi to the Holiday Inn you can use the beach there for free. I wish I knew more.

Thanks for sharing your trip with your DIS friends.
Tina :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter