July direct sales

So, just got back off of a cruise on the Magic. Interestingly, at the DVC Meeting (at least the one for current members), the only resort they were "pushing" in terms of videos, etc., was VDH, which I thought was a bit odd. They also didn't go through current incentives, rather just handing everyone a sheet as we left, and ship incentives weren't any different (in the past they usually threw in extra OBC or something else on the cruises).

We aren't interested in purchasing currently as we have enough points for now. Also, we are a bit jaded from the decision to add the hotel rooms to VGF so no plans to add there and I don't particularly care for RIV (don't hate it, but the point chart, to me, is really inflated for what the resort is, JMHO).

Now, if they make Poly the same association, we may add there. If its a separate association, we'll sit it out. Will also wait and see on FW to see what the pricing and point structure are, though if it's restricted, we are out...

But on the plus side, you aren't stuck to just studios of BKP at the 11 month but have access to the VG1 units as a result of being part of the same association (and expiration). We all wait now to see what they will do with Poly2.
That's not a plus to us original VGF1 owners! :)

Now, if they make Poly the same association, we may add there. If its a separate association, we'll sit it out. Will also wait and see on FW to see what the pricing and point structure are, though if it's restricted, we are out...
Tee hee - Yes I'm sure Poly1 owners feel the same way as you as a GF1 owner. For you, I hope Poly2 ends up being same association. It's so fascinating to ponder.

Tee hee - Yes I'm sure Poly1 owners feel the same way as you as a GF1 owner. For you, I hope Poly2 ends up being same association. It's so fascinating to ponder.
We are Poly1 owners as well :)

I am a bit agnostic as to whether Poly2 is the same association or not. If it is, we may add some points, but if it's a different association, then there's not really a reason for us to add on. Either way, we are happy with the current Poly1, so it's fine.

VGF was a different situation in that they only added a large amount of hotel rooms to the current association, so IMHO, current members really got nothing out of it other than severely increased competition for the original VGF1 rooms.

We are Poly1 owners as well :)

I am a bit agnostic as to whether Poly2 is the same association or not. If it is, we may add some points, but if it's a different association, then there's not really a reason for us to add on. Either way, we are happy with the current Poly1, so it's fine.

VGF was a different situation in that they only added a large amount of hotel rooms to the current association, so IMHO, current members really got nothing out of it other than severely increased competition for the original VGF1 rooms.

That is why I just don’t see the comparison between what they decided with BPK and Poly tower being remotely the same.

Poly tower is a brand new DVC resort and the only reason it might end up part of a current one is it’s location. Move that to the land where Reflections was to be and there would be or the land between the Grand and MK, and no question it’d be new.

Not saying that means it will be new but it was a no brainer for sales..not VGF current owners….to make those hotel room studios part of VGF.

That is why I just don’t see the comparison between what they decided with BPK and Poly tower being remotely the same.

Poly tower is a brand new DVC resort and the only reason it might end up part of a current one is it’s location. Move that to the land where Reflections was to be and there would be or the land between the Grand and MK, and no question it’d be new.

Not saying that means it will be new but it was a no brainer for sales..not VGF current owners….to make those hotel room studios part of VGF.
Sandi, I agree with that perspective from a short-term view, but we were really put off by what they did there, and having talked with a number of other VGF1 owners who feel the same way, I can't help but wonder if DVD understands that they are alienating some of their formerly most loyal base. In fact, we have really given heavy consideration to just unloading our VGF points. I had always thought that our VGF points would be for exclusive use at VGF... now, to me, they just seem like the "we can use these points at Aulani" points...

Or, they may not care. As Brian said somewhere earlier, none of these folks will be around in 30 years, so they probably don't care...

Sandi, I agree with that perspective from a short-term view, but we were really put off by what they did there, and having talked with a number of other VGF1 owners who feel the same way, I can't help but wonder if DVD understands that they are alienating some of their formerly most loyal base. In fact, we have really given heavy consideration to just unloading our VGF points. I had always thought that our VGF points would be for exclusive use at VGF... now, to me, they just seem like the "we can use these points at Aulani" points...

Or, they may not care. As Brian said somewhere earlier, none of these folks will be around in 30 years, so they probably don't care...

Unfortunately, I don’t think they care in that way. I think they had resorts division needing to get rid of a building, and potentially data to support more studios at VGF would be popular.

They also needed something else to sell until VDH started, with Reflections gone, and this fit all those goals perfectly.

I just started a poll about who would have still bought if it has been it’s own association, even without restrictions.

I know I think that restrictions for the tower is a big thing for DVD to abandon, but you wonder if they could surprise us all and make it new, but not put restrictions on it!

I think the same reasons they used for doing BPK is what is happening with the cabins….moving them to DVC in hopes they raise revenue in ways that cash stays can’t.

Unfortunately, I don’t think they care in that way. I think they had resorts division needing to get rid of a building, and potentially data to support more studios at VGF would be popular.

They also needed something else to sell until VDH started, with Reflections gone, and this fit all those goals perfectly.

I just started a poll about who would have still bought if it has been it’s own association, even without restrictions.

I know I think that restrictions for the tower is a big thing for DVD to abandon, but you wonder if they could surprise us all and make it new, but not put restrictions on it!

I think the same reasons they used for doing BPK is what is happening with the cabins….moving them to DVC in hopes they raise revenue in ways that cash stays can’t.
I get that, but the problem with the VGF2 flip wasn't just that they flipped the BPK building, it was the lazy way in which they did it by only refreshing the hotel rooms and not changing much of anything else. I'm sure they had their research and I'm sure that in order to put things in like Kitchenettes and a split bath would have required much more extensive renovations, but they could have done some novel things, such as a studio category with King beds that they chose not to do.

I can say, I would not have bought at VGF if I did not have 11 month availability in the new building. The fact there are no 1 BR or 2 BR units is what has prevented us from buying a Poly contract. If I just wanted studios, I would just rent hotel rooms when I wanted to visit. Not saying I want a 2 BR every time, but I want that flexibility.

I can fully understand how VGF1 owners (which I suppose I am as well, via resale), would feel like this was a huge disappointment having VGF being part of the same association.

I would imagine if Poly is a separate association, the owners would feel elated, to know that they now have more room types available to them. That said, Poly is the worst points chart in all of DVC from what I can tell, and I wonder how that will affect the new tower. VGF should have been the high point...

but they could have done some novel things, such as a studio category with King beds that they chose not to do.
I thought about this when I saw the other outer buildings at Grand Floridian with king beds, but would owners be willing to use the same number of points at an expensive resort like VGF that only slept 3? IDK

1692566220699.png

I thought about this when I saw the other outer buildings at Grand Floridian with king beds, but would owners be willing to use the same number of points at an expensive resort like VGF that only slept 3? IDK

View attachment 786664
I think that there are a lot more couples that travel (or maybe even couples with perhaps 1 child) than you may think and don't need to sleep more than 3.

I'm not saying that they would have had to do tons of these, but maybe 10-15 rooms like this would have been nice.

View attachment 786664
Yes. The two real beds don’t work for us. So we book deluxe studios but we prefer everything else about the resort studios except the lack of a real mini fridge but that isn’t a dealbreaker.

I think that there are a lot more couples that travel (or maybe even couples with perhaps 1 child) than you may think and don't need to sleep more than 3.

I'm not saying that they would have had to do tons of these, but maybe 10-15 rooms like this would have been nice.

The problem is that the more categories they have, the harder it is for booking. Not saying they can’t do it, but having rooms that sleep fewer than 4 may not maximize things.

But, they have done the tower studios and duos, so they must know that some travelers are groups of two…

It's just a winning strategy from Disney's perspective. The evolution of DVC—from condo timeshare to prepaid hotel room.

1. They get to shift risk at aging resorts that are harder to book to DVC members that are guaranteed to come each year (keep up those quarterly travel numbers).

2. The cost of upkeep and maintenance becomes shared between the resort and DVC members (These resorts from the 80's and 90's are becoming increasingly more expensive to maintain).

3. Resorts have fewer rooms to book (can claim 98% occupancy, etc. with less rooms in inventory). (Takes pressure off management and resorts division, less promotional discounts needed.)

4. Upfront cash payments to use elsewhere. (Even if a DVC owner doesn't pay cash they can bundle their mortgage and sell it to Citibank or Chase for immediate cash.)

I don't believe there will ever be another cash deluxe resort built at Walt Disney World. There may be some combos—like if they decide to finally do the resort at the front of EPCOT, the Reflections site or the land set aside for the Mediterranean.

But a sole cash deluxe resort? No way.

They got a new room booking category, resort studios, with two actual queen size beds. I wouldn't discount that. Previously, only OKW had that option at World. That's a game changer for some families.

They're actually doing this at Disneyland Tower. The standard studios only sleep 4.

It's just a winning strategy from Disney's perspective. The evolution of DVC—from condo timeshare to prepaid hotel room.

1. They get to shift risk at aging resorts that are harder to book to DVC members that are guaranteed to come each year (keep up those quarterly travel numbers).

2. The cost of upkeep and maintenance becomes shared between the resort and DVC members (These resorts from the 80's and 90's are becoming increasingly more expensive to maintain).

3. Resorts have fewer rooms to book (can claim 98% occupancy, etc. with less rooms in inventory). (Takes pressure off management and resorts division, less promotional discounts needed.)

4. Upfront cash payments to use elsewhere. (Even if a DVC owner doesn't pay cash they can bundle their mortgage and sell it to Citibank or Chase for immediate cash.)

I don't believe there will ever be another cash deluxe resort built at Walt Disney World. There may be some combos—like if they decide to finally do the resort at the front of EPCOT, the Reflections site or the land set aside for the Mediterranean.

But a sole cash deluxe resort? No way.

They got a new room booking category, resort studios, with two actual queen size beds. I wouldn't discount that. Previously, only OKW had that option at World. That's a game changer for some families.

They're actually doing this at Disneyland Tower. The standard studios only sleep 4.
It may be a "winning" strategy, perhaps, but if that is the direction of DVC, count me out...

We prefer the villa set up. In fact, if everyone loved just basic hotel rooms so much, then Disney wouldn't have needed to build Art of Animation the way they did or convert so much of All-Star Music to Family Suites. And that's just the cash rooms...

The thing we have found is that as the years have gone by (we've now owned for 16 years - still can't believe that...) DVC ownership has really changed the way we visit WDW. Gone are the days of spending 10+ hours each day in the parks and more time is spent just relaxing and enjoying the resorts. Sure we still go to the parks, but we go for 3-5 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less, per day and just go with the flow. If we don't get to something today, we'll get to it next time. And, with the APs back in play, there are Water Parks and Golf to be done as well. Another consideration is that, as you upsize in Villas, it gets harder to go back to the regular room type. You really start to appreciate the living space, and in some properties (namely, Aulani), I would never book less than a 1 Bedroom as it is very important to have the kitchen.

Now that's just us, but I think that perhaps others have seen their visit patterns evolve over time as well.

The problem is that the more categories they have, the harder it is for booking. Not saying they can’t do it, but having rooms that sleep fewer than 4 may not maximize things.

But, they have done the tower studios and duos, so they must know that some travelers are groups of two…
My understanding is also, that IF DVD is able to squeeze in 5 vs 4 or 3 guests, then more of the annual operating costs is to be paid by the owners of that resort, regardless of how many is actually occupying the room. This might only impact resorts which has a hotel side and not purely DVC.

The thing we have found is that as the years have gone by (we've now owned for 16 years - still can't believe that...) DVC ownership has really changed the way we visit WDW. Gone are the days of spending 10+ hours each day in the parks and more time is spent just relaxing and enjoying the resorts. Sure we still go to the parks, but we go for 3-5 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less, per day and just go with the flow. If we don't get to something today, we'll get to it next time. And, with the APs back in play, there are Water Parks and Golf to be done as well. Another consideration is that, as you upsize in Villas, it gets harder to go back to the regular room type. You really start to appreciate the living space, and in some properties (namely, Aulani), I would never book less than a 1 Bedroom as it is very important to have the kitchen.

Now that's just us, but I think that perhaps others have seen their visit patterns evolve over time as well.

I agree our park pattern have also evolved, but in the family its evolved differently. I have it like you I can visit the parks for 3-5 hours no need to go for 10+ hours, what I didn't see one day ill do the next. Daughter however is now 12 yo, and for now Disney parks is not prioritized. Might be because we are foreigners and not many of her friends have even been to Disney so its considered a "thing" for smaller children like the cartoons. Wife however loves the Disney resorts and enjoy to stay there, but she feels the park ticket prices are out of control and for now she dont have the need to visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter